Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:35 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

This may help: 10 Affordable US Cities Where Life Is Great Without a Car

How Your City’s Public Transit Stacks Up | FiveThirtyEight

The 13 Best Cities for Students Without a Car in 2016

Perhaps Buffalo could be put back on the list given the criteria. Rochester may be another one to consider again.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-26-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh, there we are again on an affordable list. That is so pre-2010. Check the prices of Shadyside and see how affordable it is. The cheapest "house" on realtor.com is a condo at $160,900.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:44 PM

100 posts, read 103,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Oh, there we are again on an affordable list. That is so pre-2010. Check the prices of Shadyside and see how affordable it is. The cheapest "house" on realtor.com is a condo at $160,900.
Check out the prices everywhere else. When you can still get into the swanky neighborhoods for under 200k, you're still a bargain basement living opportunity.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:47 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland has both rail (Red, Blue, Green and Waterfront lines) and bus (Healthline and Cleveland State lines) rapids.

Routes | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
I'm quite familiar with Cleveland, thanks.

It's BRT is on surface streets and is just timed lights on a bus lane.

It's rail cuts through typical Midwestern style neighborhoods. And yes I know it connects little Italy, which is underwhelming compared to the way you and Cleverfield describe it.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
Check out the prices everywhere else. When you can still get into the swanky neighborhoods for under 200k, you're still a bargain basement living opportunity.
But those cities offer higher salaries and jobs. This isn't DC, Denver, Seattle, San Fran, Philly, or NYC. Those other cities might also have middle class neighborhoods. We don't.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 AM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
I've narrowed it down to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Really don't think we want to go through the Minneapolis winters, and with the help of this thread, I don't think their mass transit is any better. Plus, I just learned that MN taxes military retirement pay, while OH and PA don't. And Philly just has too many negatives (for us).

I've already stated the things I love about Pittsburgh. The more I learn about Cleveland, the more I like it. For one, there are many more houses to choose from that meet our needs. I also like that it's sort of an underdog city, rising from the ashes. I'm just going to have to visit both cities to decide.

Thanks again to all who gave input. I'll buy you a beer or two if we move to your city.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:50 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
I've narrowed it down to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Really don't think we want to go through the Minneapolis winters, and with the help of this thread, I don't think their mass transit is any better. Plus, I just learned that MN taxes military retirement pay, while OH and PA don't. And Philly just has too many negatives (for us).

I've already stated the things I love about Pittsburgh. The more I learn about Cleveland, the more I like it. For one, there are many more houses to choose from that meet our needs. I also like that it's sort of an underdog city, rising from the ashes. I'm just going to have to visit both cities to decide.

Thanks again to all who gave input. I'll buy you a beer or two if we move to your city.
Great, hope you end up in Cleveland (or "The Land" as LeBron and others are now calling it). One word of caution: I'd put Cleveland winters up there with the best (or worst) of them in terms of harshness. The good news is that residents deal with it and having strong road crews and good mass transit, helps a lot.

Also, I'm curious about the negatives of Philly you mention (I apologize a head of time if you've spelled this out up-thread, I'm just too lazy and busy to read all the posts)... I actually have much experience in living in both cities. While I do find Philadelphians, overall, to be rude and boorish and the city, too often, dirty, there are a ton of pluses to living there, among them are the extensive quality suburban-caliber living within city borders-- this helps engender a slower-paced, smaller city (than you'd expect) feeling about Philly. Much of the large northwestern section of the city containing the neighborhoods of Germantown, Roxborough, Mt. Airy and Chestnut hill has this suburban feel -- even semi rural (the unique Saul Agricultural high school actually has a working farm with horses, cows, sheep, etc right in Roxborough) and driving out Wissahickon Drive makes you feel like you're in a foresty, rural area with nice houses mixed in, while Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill have spots with a real village feel to them...

The City also has high culture, proximity to the biggest and most exciting American cities and one of the best mass transit networks in America ... and the world, for that matter. ... Philadelphia, while expensive compared to places like Cleveland, are considerably cheaper than New York or D.C.... I'm curious, though, as to what bothers you about Philly.

Last edited by TheProf; 08-27-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 12:38 PM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
...I'm curious, though, as to what bothers you about Philly.
Hot summers, few neighborhoods to choose from with our requirements, Eagles (sorry).

Old 08-27-2016, 08:54 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post

Yup, you should visit both and plan to spend several days in each, if you can. There is no substitute for a visit, even if streetview gives an impression. For as much as people compare those two cities, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are really quite different. I'd go as far as to say they are among the most different 2 major cities in fairly close proximity, in the US. (probably DC and Baltimore are the most different). But overall I would think the best employment has to be goal #1.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-27-2016 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.