Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Meh. Not for me. I like Philly but can do without the rest. Lots of road work all the time. Drivers come here and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane constantly. Why is this a thing? My friend recently moved to a "nice, desirable suburb" with the "best schools in the area" not far from Scranton. I couldn't believe how run down the downtown area looked and the schools are middling compared to NJ.
PA drivers complain about NJ drivers too. Pennsylvania surely isn’t as affluent as New Jersey. I think our natural environments compliment one another well: Pennsylvania has the vast stretches of mountains and Jersey with the shore. The fact is even if you have fewer hard-pressed towns in New Jersey, our big cities top yours.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You seem to be underestimating the urban diversity of PA; ethnic white heritage/identity is also generally much stronger in Pennsylvania compared to the actual Midwest.

"Old School" America is also a very nebulous term. I can't think of any part of this country that hasn't been impacted by the trends of globalization and diversification.
the white ethnic urban is old school america. that precisely what im thinking about.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If anything, it is more so than MA. Look up demographics for Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Reading, Lebanon, Chambersburg, Erie, Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg, Steelton, Susquehanna Township and even places like Farrell, Johnstown, Sharon and Scranton. You may be surprised and this isn't including places that surround Philadelphia or Pittsburgh that may also be a surprise demographically(Aliquippa, Clairton, McKeesport, Homestead, Norristown, Phoenixville, Chester, West Chester, Uniontown, Washington, Coatesville, etc.). Then, you have a place like Carlisle, which has a mayor that is black. So, it is more so than what some may think.
No its not nearly as diverse ethnically as MA. Its significantly whiter (PA 76% white , MA 71% white), with far fewer immigrants(PA 6-7%, MA 17%).

Source: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...A,PA/PST045218 https://www.migrationpolicy.org/data...emographics/MA

Massachusetts is home to

the most Puerto Rican municipality in the US (Holyoke)
the most Cambodian municipality in the US (Lowell)
the most Cape Verdean municipality in the US (Brockton)
he most Portuguese municipality in the US (Fall River)
the most Dominican municipality in the US (Lawrence)
The most Ghanaian municipality in the US (Worcester)

and the most Irish municipality in the US (Scituate).

Its not even close in that regard. Not to mention the French Canadians in Leominster/Fitchburg, Armenians in Watertown/Belmont, Brazilians in Framingham/Somerville, Haitians in Boston/Everett/Malden/Randolph etc.

PA is pretty much ethnic white, Puerto Rican and Black American. MA has all of that in abundance except black Americans, who are still around in noticeable numbers nonetheless

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-13-2019 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 AM

453 posts, read 344,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
PA drivers complain about NJ drivers too. Pennsylvania surely isn’t as affluent as New Jersey. I think our natural environments compliment one another well: Pennsylvania has the vast stretches of mountains and Jersey with the shore. The fact is even if you have fewer hard-pressed towns in New Jersey, our big cities top yours.
I think the states do complement each other well. Include NY in there as well. From major cities to mountains, tons of lakes, beaches, great hiking, and the Delaware is a true gem. It is a tri-state area with a lot to offer.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No its not nearly as diverse ethnically as MA. Its significantly whiter (PA 76% white , MA 71% white), with far fewer immigrants(PA 6-7%, MA 17%).

Source: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...A,PA/PST045218 https://www.migrationpolicy.org/data...emographics/MA

Massachusetts is home to

the most Puerto Rican municipality in the US (Holyoke)
the most Cambodian municipality in the US (Lowell)
the most Cape Verdean municipality in the US (Brockton)
he most Portuguese municipality in the US (Fall River)
the most Dominican municipality in the US (Lawrence)
The most Ghanaian municipality in the US (Worcester)

and the most Irish municipality in the US (Scituate).

Its not even close in that regard. Not to mention the French Canadians in Leominster/Fitchburg, Armenians in Watertown/Belmont, Brazilians in Framingham/Somerville, Haitians in Boston/Everett/Malden/Randolph etc.

PA is pretty much ethnic white, Puerto Rican and Black American. MA has all of that in abundance except black Americans, who are still around in noticeable numbers nonetheless
Ethnically, MA is more diverse, but PA does have a higher black percentage. PA does have a range of Hispanic/Latino and Asian ethnicities in some urban neighborhoods.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2019 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Ethnically, MA is more diverse, but PA does have a high black percentage. PA does have a range of Hispanic/Latino and Asian ethnicities in some urban neighborhoods.
My original comment was on ethnic diversity. I also wouldn't say its a "high" black percentage at 11-12%.

But overall Ma is more ethnically AND racially diverse than PA but I digress-i dont think too much about Pa other than I dont find it enticing.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I think above being just endeared towards PA, they also seem to have no doubt that the state will stay red in the next election, even though they barely got by with a plurality.
Not only did they barley get by, the GOP got crushed in the Midterms in the state. The Democratic governor, senator, and House candidates all won the state's vote by double digit percentages.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
My original comment was on ethnic diversity. I also wouldn't say its a "high" black percentage at 11-12%.

But overall Ma is more ethnically AND racially diverse than PA but I digress-i dont think too much about Pa other than I dont find it enticing.
Meant to say higher... The difference is the Hispanic population in terms of the white percentage, which is essentially the same when counting white Hispanics.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Meant to say higher... The difference is the Hispanic population in terms of the white percentage, which is essentially the same when counting white Hispanics.
White Hispanic wont even be a category on the 2020 census.

We never use white Hispanic count. In that case the US will never be majority minority and Miami the whitest major city in the country (75.4%). We all know thats not the case.

I don't ever think i've even met or heard of a legitimately "white Hispanic" in Massachusetts-have you?. It just a really easy way to spot colorism in a community. Many Hispanics will check white because they believe it affords them protection or favored status, even though no one would mistake them for being "white". White Hispanics might hold water in states with very large Cuban or Mexican populations-but not in the northeast.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
The 3 things I can think of when I hear PA is:

1) I want Philly to be a better city and applaud any improvements towards that direction.
2) Pittsburgh has been alright when I've been there. Had my fun, but there just doesn't seem to be much to that city.
3) The state is gorgeous until you get close to NJ, then the traffic negates any beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.