Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
the steel corridor actually goes through most of the rust belt though. Eastern PA, Baltimore, and west all the way to Chicago. big steel areas throughout, although varying with how important they were by decade
But again, Philly is not seen as "rust-belt" or recovered from (I do know understand that though). Baltimore never was in it to even have anyone note recovered from. It goes definitely thru most of PA and Allentown/Bethlehem into NJ. But ends at Philly south. West thru Pittsburgh, thru Ohio and Michigan, Indiana, Chicago. Milwaukee.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:49 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
the steel corridor actually goes through most of the rust belt though. Eastern PA, Baltimore, and west all the way to Chicago. big steel areas throughout, although varying with how important they were by decade
Why are you people so literal minded? I didn't once say those three cities were the only ones that produced steel, did I?

But they share a very close economic history among themselves is my point.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
If you followed the entire thread of this conversation you might.

Seems like there's a pretty hard fight, once again, going on in here to distance PA from NY as much as possible. Once again, I have to fight an uphill battle against the ignorance towards NY state as a whole. I feel like reminding people how large NY state is is necessary, and that PA having ties to Ohio does not mean NY doesn't also.
I see what you mean, but a statement like "without Erie county, NY would also border Ohio" reminds me of going to my kids' gymnastics meets and hearing gymnasts say, "If I hadn't fallen off the beam I would have had a higher score". Well, yeah, but you did fall. Same thing. Yes, some of NY is close to Ohio. You could say "it's about 50 miles from NY to Ohio on I-90". Does anyone in western NY root for the Ohio sports teams like they do in Erie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
But again, Philly is not seen as "rust-belt" or recovered from (I do know understand that though). Baltimore never was in it to even have anyone note recovered from. It goes definitely thru most of PA and Allentown/Bethlehem into NJ. But ends at Philly south. West thru Pittsburgh, thru Ohio and Michigan, Indiana, Chicago. Milwaukee.
Oh, yes, Baltimore was part of the rust belt. https://baltimorebrew.com/2012/05/25...ill-collapsed/

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-23-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,411 times
Quote:
Why are you people so literal minded? I didn't once say those three cities were the only ones that produced steel, did I?

But they share a very close economic history among themselves is my point.

oh don't be thin skinned, you know this is how we roll on c-d

Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I see what you mean, but a statement like "without Erie county, NY would also border Ohio" reminds me of going to my kids' gymnastics meets and hearing gymnasts say, "If I hadn't fallen off the beam I would have had a higher score". Well, yeah, but you did fall. Same thing. Yes, some of NY is close to Ohio. You could say "it's about 50 miles from NY to Ohio on I-90". Does anyone in western NY root for the Ohio sports teams like they do in Erie?
Seems like you are splitting hairs just to argue with me off-point.

Also not likely, but a lot of people in western NY are Steelers fans rather than Bills fans. So six to one, half a dozen to the other.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Seems like you are splitting hairs just to argue with me off-point.

Also not likely, but a lot of people in western NY are Steelers fans rather than Bills fans. So six to one, half a dozen to the other.
No, I'm not. It simply makes no sense to say, "without Erie County (PA) NY would also border Ohio", when there IS an Erie County! The border of Erie County and Ohio is lined up with all the other westernmost counties in PA, including my home county, Beaver County. It makes more sense to me to say, "only Erie County separates NY from Ohio" or something comparable.

I was just curious about the sports teams. Interesting that some are Steelers fans in NY.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, I'm not. It simply makes no sense to say, "without Erie County (PA) NY would also border Ohio", when there IS an Erie County! The border of Erie County and Ohio is lined up with all the other westernmost counties in PA, including my home county, Beaver County. It makes more sense to me to say, "only Erie County separates NY from Ohio" or something comparable.

I was just curious about the sports teams. Interesting that some are Steelers fans in NY.
It makes sense if you know how to follow context clues...

Old 08-23-2019, 10:45 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I definitely consider Baltimore in the Rust Belt, and in fact Dundalk and eastern Baltimore County actually really fits my image of Pennsylvania, in addition to Cumberland. Dundalk, Essex, Sparrows Point, and Cumberland would be the places in Maryland most similar to Pennsylvania. Another poster earlier did compare PA with MD. Sparrows Point used to be the site of Bethlehem Steel, in fact, a PA-based company and was the largest steel mill in the entire US in the 50s and 60s. I remember one of the seasonal landmarks was a large Christmas light star at the top of the steel mill which they called the Star of Bethlehem and many people were sad when it was lit the final time sometime in the 2010s, when the plant closed forever. Automaking and aircraft manufacturing were also big in eastern Baltimore County and parts of the city.

Today, eastern Baltimore County along with Baltimore City are economically devastated with the steel plants permanently closed due to government overregulation and unfair trade. The opioid crisis is very bad there. Many people have no hope in the future....I lived many years in Dundalk I know. I do think more people in PA identify with this kind of experience than people in the rest of Maryland, especially in the DC suburban elite bubble or Howard County where people know nothing about manufacturing or the lives of regular folks.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:54 PM

I do think that Pennsylvania is the state with the most Rust Belt image, along with Michigan. Ohio is maybe 1/2 Rust Belt, since Columbus and Cincinnati are not Rust Belt cities and the Appalachian portion is rural and separate from Rust Belt despite their unfortunate economic decline due to the war on coal.

I DO include Philadelphia in the Rust Belt because of the loss in manufacturing. Philly has always been a very industrial, working class city vs a more white collar city like Boston or New York or most of the Southern cities. Scranton, Bethlehem, Allentown, and Altoona are also as Rust Belt as they come. I'd say the only parts of PA which don't have a Rust Belt image to me are York and Lancaster Counties. When President Trump spoke of hollowed out factories littering the landscape like tombstones in his auguration speech, Pennsylvania, Michigan and northern Ohio are what immediately came to mind.

As for neighboring states, I do include upstate New York and New Jersey in the Rust Belt too. Most of New York State is Rust Belt except for NYC, Long Island, and Westchester.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:58 PM

I would honestly say that yes, Philadelphia is the city most similar to Baltimore, but the next city most similar to Baltimore would be Pittsburgh. I'd say that Baltimore City itself is like Philly because of the rowhouses, rough neighborhoods and run down streets and the port, whiles Pittsburgh is more like Baltimore County because of its steelmaking history and its tight knit communities where white ethnics have lived for generations.

I see Pittsburgh as more of a working class city fallen on hard times and Philadelphia more as a ghetto city and war zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.