Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 04:28 PM

231 posts, read 226,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Yeah but our pop culture and entertainment is nothing to be proud of , really the whole celebrity culture and all these awful hollywood movies we export are nothing to be proud about. I once heard a political commentator on the bbc state that the kardashians were like Americas royal family. Its depressing
Totally agree with you. It is majorly concerning. I can't remember the quote but someone said "control the media and you control everything" (something to that effect) and I think that's really true. That's why IMO L.A. has grown in influence and will continue to grow in influence. It's unfortunate because so much media is controlled by major corporations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Yeah but our pop culture and entertainment is nothing to be proud of , really the whole celebrity culture and all these awful hollywood movies we export are nothing to be proud about. I once heard a political commentator on the bbc state that the kardashians were like Americas royal family. Its depressing
look where we are now. i dont think capitalism is something to be proud of.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:26 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ i know. but l.a. is more popular in general.
But thats irrelevant to technology.

Quote:
its the nyc of the west coast (not san francisco).
but Sf is the nyc of technology( not l.a.)

Old 09-03-2016, 05:58 PM

^ no shade on san fran. but i struggle to imagine it being the new capital of the whole country when currently its not even the capital of its own state.

maybe when the technology industry becomes much bigger than hollywood ?; i think i reneg on my op (l.a. shouldnt even be associated with silicon valley because of the distance (if california was new england, it would be like 10 different states).

edit: actually its not a far off possibility. starfleet acadamy is headquartered in san francisco.
double edit: actually no. paris is the of earth federation capitol.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-03-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
^ no shade on san fran. but i struggle to imagine it being the new capital of the whole country when currently its not even the capital of its own state.
It's a struggle because you dont want to admit it. lol.

sf is the nyc of technology( not l.a.)

Quote:
maybe when the technology industry becomes much bigger than hollywood ?
no shade but apple by itself is richer than every hollywood based entertainment company combined.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:13 PM

231 posts, read 226,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

no shade but apple by itself is richer than every hollywood based entertainment company combined.
I'm not sure money is the number one criterion for determining how influential/important an industry is. For example the oil industry is obviously hugely important but no one would argue that the "next capital" for the U.S. will be Dallas or Houston.

Furthermore, Washington DC puts out no real product- they just deal in government, which is not a money making endeavor. And yet it is recognized as a hugely influential city.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:18 PM

^agreed. i think mind-share mite be important to this debate. like when one thinks of brazil -- you think rio de janeiro not saint paulo. same with california.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

now that i think of it san fran does have a legit shot at being the next capital.

but probably the city with the first extra-planetary airport will be next.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-03-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
I'm not sure money is the number one criterion for determining how influential/important an industry is.
True but its a helluva statement when just one bay area tech company is richer than all hollywood-based entertainment companies-combined.

you cant belittle that. sorry.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
^agreed. i think mind-share mite be important to this debate. like when one thinks of brazil -- you think rio de janeiro not saint paulo. same with california.
now that i think of it san fran does have a legit shot at being the next capital.
haha your hella late.

sf is already the technology capital of not only the us, but the world.

so yeah...

Old 09-04-2016, 03:41 AM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
Bay area for current tech, might as well be the u.s. capital.
Seattle's current tech market is 2nd in the U.S. and growing with bay area overflow moving in (google, facebook, apple) My theory based on climate change, and tech becoming the most important industry is that the shift is and will continue to move to Seattle as a global futuristic capital. Vancouver as well but not to the same extent. California will most likely experience some extreme water shortages and continue population growth. Climate refugees that can afford to do so will move north. The Puget Sound has been preparing itself for the population growth to come.
Thoughts and examples that I was unable to organize:
The Allen institute (Seattle) in 2014 simulated an entire mouse brain consisting of over 75 millon neurons. The institute is now mapping the human brain and it is predicted that by 2025 this will be done.
Fred Hutch is researching a cure for HIV and cancer
The gates foundation formed common core which is now the standard k-12 U.S. curriculum
Architecture wise, Amazon is constructing biodomes
Century 21 expo
Probably the most progressive city in the U.S., drugs are culturally acceptable and mind expansion/ learning is a the forefront of the culture
Free thinking and musicians
Aerospace industry boeing
Vancouver new Hollywood

Last edited by blaserbrad; 09-04-2016 at 04:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.