Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite U.S. river city?
Cincinnati 9 5.06%
Pittsburgh 22 12.36%
NYC 15 8.43%
Minneapolis 6 3.37%
Detroit 3 1.69%
St. Louis 21 11.80%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.56%
Philadephia 4 2.25%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.25%
Boston 6 3.37%
Wilminton, DE 0 0%
Providence, RI 0 0%
Richmond, VA 1 0.56%
Memphis, TN 6 3.37%
Nashville, TN 1 0.56%
Chattanooga, TN 1 0.56%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.12%
Wilmington, NC 1 0.56%
Charleston, SC 3 1.69%
Savannah, GA 5 2.81%
New Orleans, LA 11 6.18%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.12%
Portland, OR 11 6.18%
Sacramento, CA 4 2.25%
San Antonio, TX 11 6.18%
Omaha, NE 11 6.18%
other (specify in your post) 17 9.55%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 PM

386 posts, read 1,688,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't think St. Louis has any Southern vibes to it whatsoever. Southern Missouri definitely does some serious Southern vibes to it, that I will agree to.
I think you guys are making waaaayyy to big a deal about this. So St. Louis is a little southern? What's the big deal? Is the south really that bad? I think St. Louis' midwestern/southern/rustbelt mix is what makes it so cool--midwestern charm, yankee ingenuity, and southern hospitality. What a great city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Re: Omaha: I asked my husband, who is from Omaha, if he considers it a river city, and he said "yes". He went on to say the river was not a plaything in the Omaha of his youth, it was used for commerce.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,166,988 times
I guess once you cross over from Illinois to Missouri you are officially in the South? Bottom line is people from big urbanized cities like New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia usually think anything outside there urban bubble is the South. For example I was in NY a few years back and they would say that Baltimore and DC is like going down South. When you think about it thats about the same comparison. New Yorkers think Baltimore is half Southern and Chicagoans think St. Louis is half Southern because they have never been South of the Mason Dixon.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,337,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
We're a part of the Midwest, whether you want us to be or not or whether we want us to be or not. That's the simple fact of the matter. You think I'm the only one that says St. Louis is part of the Midwest? Look up practically every source concerning it. You should find it is in the Midwest. But you're from Chicago, so I know you won't.
How its ajf!!! I've been wondering where you were. Apparently, you've been making lots of friends here on the General U.S. forums

Earth to ajf131: Behave yourself. Stop making a fool out of yourself with your Chicago remarks and be a grown up.

I've had to deal with this individual on the Missouri forums.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM

395 posts, read 1,369,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
when did everyone start taking crazy pills?
Its that damn chitown warrior! He started it!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I think you guys are making waaaayyy to big a deal about this. So St. Louis is a little southern? What's the big deal? Is the south really that bad? I think St. Louis' midwestern/southern/rustbelt mix is what makes it so cool--midwestern charm, yankee ingenuity, and southern hospitality. What a great city!
THANKYOU. My points in a nutshell. Did ANYONE see the cool pictures I posted on st. louis??? They're remarkable!!! A completely urban city with a southern flair is all i stated.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...s-river-7.html

Why afj is blowing up is beyond me...i posted it as a compliment to st. louis. Why are people labeling us chicago *******s? Why are you picking fights with people trying to point out how cool your city is???

Westcodude, you're a DUDE! Thanks for being chill.

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 02-26-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Chicago is not the best city in the world or even country so stop acting like you can tell people who the are!!!!! I'm not a redneck farmer from the Corn Town of Omaha. St. Louis is about as far north as Kansas city which you probably dont consider southern?? or is everything south of your 'precious' Chicago southern to you? Also dont insult Indianapolis its a nice city and for the final time St. Louis is NOT A SOUTHERN CITY get that through your arogant chicagan heads. Or are us nebraskans to redneck of farmers to listen to because you live in the holy city of Chicago????!!!! NEVER INSULT MY St. Louis BROTHERS!!!!!!!!
How could Omaha possibly be a "brother" to st. louis? My cousins from would be like...omg get away. Omaha??? Is that the new comeback city now? Isn't that where our beef comes from? .... just joking... Omaha = 820,000 people, St. louis = 2,900,000 people. Please don't tell me you're going to start comparing those two cities now. i met someone in chicago from omaha, and my friend was like, so how do you like living in the big city?? and she said..what do you mean im from omaha, its not that different. and my friend was confused...he said, it isn't? then she replied...yeah its bigger than st. louis and minneapolis....riiiiiight. (i guess she was going by "city" populations, and if so she was correct -Indy residents tend to do the same thing which annoys the heck out of me)...please dont tell me your ignorant enough to go by "city" stats....

Honestly if people in cities like Indy or Omaha or Tulsa or OKC or Louisville would just be like....it's a smaller city, and for its size offers X which is really great. Come check out the ___. THEN, people would be like, oh my god! let me check that out. Instead, they annoyingly put themselves in with cities MUCH further developed in history and cutlure and most of the time size and say "my city is on the same page as your city". That's why all these arguments break out. That's also why San Antonio folks always fight with Houston and Dallas folks, because they try to be ont he same tier (Because their city gains population by annexing land so their residents think theyre living big city life and beef up their city based on foundationless facts)

I wouldn't say Indianapolis is a nice city, I would say its an "OK" city. See the Indianapolis forum, even Indy residents agree with this. I wouldn't say it offers "nothing to the world", but I get what he's saying with that comment.

THe only midwestern cities I would give two looks at, or tell foreign visitors who visit Chicago all the time looking for other midwestern cities worth visiting are:

Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit...maybe KC, Cleveland..then Cincinatti, Milwaukee period. Why those three? Because 1.) their size 2.) their cultural offerings, history and things to see and 3.) they're developed enough to have light rail and decent public transportation. Yes, Detroit still has many cultural offerings to visitors and isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 02-26-2008 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I guess once you cross over from Illinois to Missouri you are officially in the South? Bottom line is people from big urbanized cities like New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia usually think anything outside there urban bubble is the South. For example I was in NY a few years back and they would say that Baltimore and DC is like going down South. When you think about it thats about the same comparison. New Yorkers think Baltimore is half Southern and Chicagoans think St. Louis is half Southern because they have never been South of the Mason Dixon.
first of all, i dont think having southernness implies negativity. i think its a good thing, esp. cause it makes cities like stl, louisville and other border cities unique, and far from the typical midwesternness of other cities. It adds to its cultural value. people should listen to others from bigger cities because people from bigger cities usually have very different perspectives. if someone who only drives ferrari's really likes your new sports car, that's a cool thing. if someone form nyc or chicago's city says, wow your city is way more urban than expected...thats a cool thing.

so, i personally everytime i visit st. louis, LOVE it because its different in many ways than chicago, and more southern feeling to me. just probably how houston is southern feeling to someone from st. louis. im not saying its country or anything, ive said over and over how its very urban and in a way very cosmopolitan in certain areas, and i think its uniqueness wins my vote for one of the top midwestern cities other than chicago, without a doubt.

goat, i do get your point about the analogy of nyc to baltimore as chicago is to stl. stl and baltimore are VERY similar in my opinion, probably the most similar cities out there.

afj, please learn how to take a freaking compliment for once. (also, even st. louisans argue if its part southern or not..or has southern influences)

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 02-26-2008 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,166,988 times
Chitownwarrior, I get what your saying. I dont know if I would consider St. Louis half Southern, but there are definitely Southern characteristics especially among the Black community, but the same can be said for a lot cities. To be honest with you...I wouldnt even know how to describe St. Louis there is really not to many cities like it and thats what makes it such a cool town, just like nobody could ever mistake Chicago for another city. If anything St. Louis is geographically Midwestern, architecturally Eastern, while maintaining some kind of Southern charm do to its history as a riverboat town. Unfortunately I think we inherited some of those Southern politics too..

Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Chitownwarrior, I get what your saying. I dont know if I would consider St. Louis half Southern, but there are definitely Southern characteristics especially among the Black community, but the same can be said for a lot cities. To be honest with you...I wouldnt even know how to describe St. Louis there is really not to many cities like it and thats what makes it such a cool town, just like nobody could ever mistake Chicago for another city. If anything St. Louis is geographically Midwestern, architecturally Eastern, while maintaining some kind of Southern charm do to its history as a riverboat town. Unfortunately I think we inherited some of those Southern politics too..
Great points! "half southern" is arguable...but i think most people can say there is at least somewhat of a southern charm to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.