Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would having regional subforms on C-D be a good idea?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times

Advertisements

City-Data provides us with plenty of the locales where we want to discuss. This post is on the General U.S. forum. Each state has its own forum. every major city has a forum and many of these cities have suburban forums. other divisions within a state like Hawaii's islands, NC's coast, Florida's Gold Coast communities, etc, have their own forums.

Quite an impressive list. And yet, something is missing. what:

REGIONAL U.S. FORUMS

I would find it very useful if each major region in the US had its own forum. everybody would have their own way to divide this up. Mine (just to serve as an example....with no allusion this way is the best) would parse it like this:

NEW ENGLAND...........ME, NH, MA, RI, CT

MIDDLE ATLANTIC......NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, DC

SOUTHEASTERN.........WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL

MID-SOUTH...............LA, AR, MS, AL, TN, KY

MIDWEST..................MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH

GREAT PLAINS...........ND, SD, NE, KS, OK

SOUTHWEST..............TX, NM, AZ

MOUNTAIN WEST........NV, UT, CO, WY, ID, MT

PACIFIC....................AK, HI, CA, OR, WA

I think having these types of forums would be a good thing on C-D. And, by having them, it wouldn't mean that the general US forum would be compromised. Topics relating to particular regions could still be posted here if the OP thinks that the discussion would be enriched by having perspectives of the whole nation on a given topic but might be placed in, for example, the New England subform if the OP thinks that a regional discussion may be better. Another example might be if an OP wishes to have a discussion about Chicagoland, his thread could conceivably go on either the Illinois, Chicago, or Suburban Chicago forums. Overlap exist and that would be the case if regional subforms were added to C-D

Look, maybe I'm ignorant on the subject and this idea has cropped up before, but if it hasn't, I would find it interesting to see what other people think about this possibility.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
DC is in the South

Old 09-13-2016, 02:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,229 times
Texas in the Southwest?!?! Are you trying to start a war.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:43 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
People on C-D completely lose it when it comes to categorizing states into cultural/geographic regions. Maybe it's because individuals have a difficult time when they are presented with an idea that conflicts with something that they have come to believe as a fact for so long.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Probably because people don't care all that much about what happens outside of their metros on a day-to-day basis. The state forums on C-D seem to cover most of the areas within states that don't have their own subforums (i.e., Northwestern Pennsylvania, Southern Maryland, Eastern Oregon, etc.). I don't think most New Yorkers would be interested in threads about the best middle schools/safest neighborhoods/best Thai restaurants in Erie, PA.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:48 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
People on C-D completely lose it when it comes to categorizing states into cultural/geographic regions. Maybe it's because individuals have a difficult time when they are presented with an idea that conflicts with something that they have come to believe as a fact for so long.
This.

Can you imagine the emotional collapse and uproar that would happen over wherever Maryland was placed? The thought of it makes me want to put my head in an oven.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
DC is in the South
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
This is why.

I really don't see the utility of regional subforums. The state and General U.S./City vs City subforums cover all the bases quite well.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Same with Oklahoma. Oklahoma is more like Mississippi or Alahama than it is Nebraska.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM

102 posts, read 117,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
NEW ENGLAND...........ME, NH, MA, RI, CT
Vermont is crying in a corner somewhere

On topic, it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Just look at the sheer number of "Is (city/state) in the (region)?" threads here

Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM

231 posts, read 226,597 times
I would love to have regional subforums. I think that would be such a valuable addition to CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.