Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Using the word "hottest" vs. "warmest" suggests to me that the topic is about the very hottest Summer weather. I could be wrong but that's how I read it. For example, I never hear anyone ask "Who has the hottest Winter?" It's almost always "Who has the warmest Winter?"
Regarding why AZ is leading this poll may have to do with the actual experiences of those who live in the states and how it's reported. If AZ's population was concentrated in the cooler parts of the states, we'd hear those temps reported on a daily basis during the Summer. As it stands, the vast majority of the people in AZ live in the hottest parts of the state so that's what we hear and, frankly, what most Arizonans experience.
That said, I've lived through both Miami and Houston Summers and I'll take the Miami Summer over the Houston Summer 10 times out of 10. I've never been to Louisiana for the Summer but I suspect that I'd find it equally as as stifling but without the air pollution of Houston.
The California low desert gets hotter than Arizona due to lower elevation and less monsoon influence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:38 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Been in Arizona, ohio and Florida. To me, Arizona(Phoenix area) felt much much hotter to us then Florida. Florida heat/humidity feels like summer just in Ohio, it only lasts longer. I would choose Texas and Arizona as hottest states.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:37 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I didn't, not sure I should. A big part of that state is really chilly, but yes, I know Sacramento and Fresno, that area is Texas hot.
While those places can get hot in the summer, They aren't even the hottest parts of the state. People don't realize this, but there is way more to California aside from the coastal sections of the state. As another poster said California is 35% desert, that's kinda similar to Arizona which is 42% desert. A large chunk of California gets really hot during the summer, I definitely don't think it deserves the title of the hottest state because of the northern section and the coastal sections, but I deff think it should be an option in this poll/should replace New Mexico on the poll due to places like Joshua tree, death valley, palm springs, indio, Blythe, Bakersfield, el centro ect.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
While those places can get hot in the summer, They aren't even the hottest parts of the state. People don't realize this, but there is way more to california aside from the coastal sections of the state. As another poster said California is 35% desert and Arziona is 42% desert. A large chunk of California gets really hot during the summer, I definitely don't think it deserves the title of the hottest state because of the northern section and the coastal sections, but I deff think it should be an option in this poll/should replace New Mexico on the poll due to places like Joshua tree, death valley, palm springs, indio, Blythe, Bakersfield, el centro ect.
Exactly, Needles is the hottest incorporated city in the US with a normal high hitting 111° in July

Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, Needles is the hottest incorporated city in the US with a normal high hitting 111° in July
Bullhead is 112 in July.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I'm going with Texas because almost all of the state is miserably hot during the summer months.

Although the temperatures may be hotter in Arizona, you can escape the heat by moving to a place like Flagstaff. There is no escaping the heat in Texas unless you are inside.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
I'd say FL, because its hot in summer, and much warmer in winter than most states, by a long shot. People who voted AZ are crazy... most of the state is not hot whatsoever. The only hot parts are those under 2K elevation.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Bullhead is 112 in July.
I don't buy Bullheads reading just based on the fact that it is slightly higher up and further north than Needles, prob really has the same 111° as Needles

Old 09-20-2016, 04:01 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
I voted Arizona from personal experience. Shoutout to Florida humidity tho

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'd say FL, because its hot in summer, and much warmer in winter than most states, by a long shot. People who voted AZ are crazy... most of the state is not hot whatsoever. The only hot parts are those under 2K elevation.
Agreed, it's pretty unbelievable actually haha, if CD has taught me anything it's that most of this country doesn't know anything about Arizona. Arizona as a whole is actually cooler than every state he listed aside from New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.