Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US mountain range is the equivalent of the Alps
Rockies 94 69.63%
Appalachians 3 2.22%
Ozarks 2 1.48%
Other 36 26.67%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 12:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Although most of the responses have focused on the shape/size of the mountains and the scenery, I would say nothing in the US is like the Alps because the large US mountain ranges are true wilderness, and there is almost no such in Europe.

If you go backpacking in the US, you sleep outdoors in a tent and carry/prepare all your own food. If you backpack in the Alps, you sleep in a hut and buy food prepared for you every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 12:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
I don’t think America has an answer to them. The Rockies don’t come close, maybe the Cascades more so but still a far cry. You have places like Jungfrau in the alps that rise 9,000’ over a very short distance and there’s just nothing like that in the US. I really wish there were!

Old 03-11-2024, 01:28 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I don’t think America has an answer to them. The Rockies don’t come close, maybe the Cascades more so but still a far cry. You have places like Jungfrau in the alps that rise 9,000’ over a very short distance and there’s just nothing like that in the US. I really wish there were!
The North Cascades come very close.

The western valleys are close to sea level while the mountains immediately to the east can rise above 9,000 ft.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:35 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
The North Cascades come very close.

The western valleys are close to sea level while the mountains immediately to the east can rise above 9,000 ft.
Denali rises 18,000 feet from the valley

Old 03-11-2024, 01:48 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah, the Alaska Range is massive. Though they don’t really resemble the Alps visually.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:55 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Most climbers know that. Denali is more similar to what you see in the Himalayas not the Alps.

Every mountaineer, geologist and climber knows that The North Cascade complex of Washington state is considered to be the most similar to the Alps of Europe in terms of vertical rise, terrain and glaciation. That is why the vast majority of American climbers train there in preparation for the greater ranges of the Himalayas and Alaska.

Nadnerb is correct. There is an abundant number of peaks in the North Cascades complex that rise over 5,000-7000 feet above the valley floor. It’s much more comparable to what you would find in the Canadian Rockies and Alps. Davis Peak in the North Cascades is believed to be the only place in the lower 48 that drops over one vertical mile within one horizontal mile. Most people don’t go there because they are more focused on the Volcanic peaks of the Cascades.

South of the North Cascades you obviously have the giant of Mount Rainier which has over 9,000 feet rise in less than 2.89 miles. Rainier has the same prominence of K2.

The combination of large peaks with significant vertical rise and significant glaciation make the North Cascades the most like the Alps in the United States.

The Rockies in the United States are much more gentle and lack large alpine glaciers. They definitely don’t feel or look as large as what you see in the North Cascades and their sister to the north in Canada.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 03-11-2024 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-11-2024, 06:55 PM

173 posts, read 225,021 times
Quote:
There is an abundant number of peaks in the North Cascades complex that rise over 5,000-7000 feet above the valley floor. It’s much more comparable to what you would find in the Canadian Rockies and Alps. Davis Peak in the North Cascades is believed to be the only place in the lower 48 that drops over one vertical mile within one horizontal mile. Most people don’t go there because they are more focused on the Volcanic peaks of the Cascades.
Another reason very few visit North Cascades National Park (and its peaks) is that there are no roads officially in the giant park!! Washington Route 20 (closed in winter) crosses the park complex east/west, and divides the North Unit and the South Unit. But it doesn't touch the Park. Rather it passes through the Ross Lake National Recreation Area. Within Ross Lake National Recreation Area are three dams and three power plants, which predate the establishment of the National Park, and which feed electricity to the Seattle area,. It takes a huge effort to climb most of the major peaks, which are very remote and far removed from any vehicular (or Ross Lake) access.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
North Cascades.

There is also another mountain range in the US.

BUT since nobody has mentioned it, neither will I.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:59 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
North Cascades.

There is also another mountain range in the US.

BUT since nobody has mentioned it, neither will I.
I'll take a guess...The Wallowa Mountains in the northeast corner of Oregon?

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d.../the-wallowas/

Or maybe the Trinity Alps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Alps

Old 03-12-2024, 10:59 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I'll take a guess...The Wallowa Mountains in the northeast corner of Oregon?

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d.../the-wallowas/

Or maybe the Trinity Alps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Alps
The Wallowas is a good guess. I was thinking that or maybe the Olympic Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.