Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 03:04 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL that sounds awful. California winter is so much better
It depends. In the Bay Area it rains all winter long, at least when the state still had rain. Plus they get tons of snow in Eastern California every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:31 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The worst part of winter is standing outside scraping the car first thing every morning, or worse if you don't drive, waiting on public transportation. Otherwise it's really not that bad, and kinda nice on your days off when you have an excuse to stay inside and drink a hot beverage all day long.
I actually like waiting for public transit. If you're in a city like NYC, Chicago, DC, Philly, Boston your bus or subway is really never that long of a wait. Definitely beats scraping a windshield and plowing a driveway.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:33 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
Average summer highs in Houston, like the rest of the coastal SE US, are no higher than the low 90s during the hottest month. Humidity suppresses summer temps (as it is moisture in the air), so with the normal high amounts, temps don't go higher than 95F on most summer days in these cities; whenever you see triple digit temps in these cities, the air is much drier than normal, without much of the high moisture that would keep the temps down. Because of this inverse relationship with temperature vs humidity, it is practically impossible to see both 100F heat AND high humidity.
If Philly can do it, Houston can do it. Many days this summer in Philly had highs in the mid 90s with high humidity. Several days had a heat index of over 100. During the worst heat wave, Weather Underground had the South Philly location with a heat index of 128. I have the screenshot on my phone to prove it.

So yeah, if Philly can have mid 90s and near 100 with high humidity, Houston easily can. Obviously that's not every single day, but it happens much more often the further south you go.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:21 PM

74 posts, read 60,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Minneapolis. Hands down worst weather.

Nope. Upstate NY cities are just as cold but get 2x the snow and are as cloudy as Seattle and Portland. Sorry.

Minneapolis is just bitter cold. Not nearly as much snowfall as here and much sunnier.

Get out more.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:32 PM

189 posts, read 166,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If Philly can do it, Houston can do it. Many days this summer in Philly had highs in the mid 90s with high humidity. Several days had a heat index of over 100. During the worst heat wave, Weather Underground had the South Philly location with a heat index of 128. I have the screenshot on my phone to prove it.

So yeah, if Philly can have mid 90s and near 100 with high humidity, Houston easily can. Obviously that's not every single day, but it happens much more often the further south you go.
It doesn't work that way; you are interpreting the data wrongly.

The humidity %s you see on weather channels and such is the relative humidity; that value decreases the warmer the temperature is (since warmer air can hold more moisture).

Weather Underground often uses amateur, unofficial weather stations for their data; therefore, many of these stations don't eliminate confounding variables as efficiently as official stations (or at all). For example, they will have their thermometers on hot metal surfaces, which traps heat more than air does.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:40 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Yeah, Upstate NY sounds tragic

Old 11-26-2016, 04:45 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Yeah, Upstate NY sounds tragic
This is Pittsburgh, but would probably scare anyone unfamiliar with Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6249iHSJsKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWMLjJk1BWg

Spokane, WA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp2sqrfGSPI

Old 11-26-2016, 04:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
This is Pittsburgh, but would probably scare anyone unfamiliar with Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6249iHSJsKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWMLjJk1BWg
I've always imagined Pittsburgh to be a nightmare. Literally who thought building a city in that location with that climate was a good idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Houston seems too hot and Minneapolis seems too cold. Phoenix is obviously the hottest, but that dry heat is much different than humid heat. Same way the 52 degrees I felt Saturday with wind was much more brutal than the 52 degrees with no wind I felt yesterday.

I've always wondered, how did Minneapolis-Saint Paul get so big with such brutal temps? How on Earth do people tolerate this? Lol.
See Moscow (population 16 Million)

Old 11-27-2016, 12:17 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It depends. In the Bay Area it rains all winter long, at least when the state still had rain. Plus they get tons of snow in Eastern California every year.
No it doesn't. I think you have the bay confused with Seattle.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Any place hot and sunny most of the time. The south and southwest are unbearable for me.

Thank god I'm in Alaska lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.