Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
Rochester doesn't get as muck lake effect as it's peers.
The highest snowfall amounts in Upstate are downwind of Lake Ontario on the Tug Hill Plateau. Jefferson, Oswego and Lewis counties. Not a sizable population in those areas, but still over 225K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 AM

149 posts, read 153,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The highest snowfall amounts in Upstate are downwind of Lake Ontario on the Tug Hill Plateau. Jefferson, Oswego and Lewis counties. Not a sizable population in those areas, but still over 225K.

Well aware. Im in Utica.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times
I've always believed that New York State is one of the most beautiful and underrated states in the country. Upstate has wonderful areas like the Finger Lakes, Letchworth, the Great lakes, Niagara, Thousand Islands, Adirondacks, etc.
But boy oh boy the weather is some of the worst in the country. Endless snowy winters and much cloudiness. I think only northern New England and northern Minnesota and Michigan, and Alaska are comparable or worse.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I've always believed that New York State is one of the most beautiful and underrated states in the country. Upstate has wonderful areas like the Finger Lakes, Letchworth, the Great lakes, Niagara, Thousand Islands, Adirondacks, etc.
But boy oh boy the weather is some of the worst in the country. Endless snowy winters and much cloudiness. I think only northern New England and northern Minnesota and Michigan, and Alaska are comparable or worse.

They're comparable, but not worse.

Minnesota is much sunnier than Upstate NY. Much sunnier.

New England cities don't get half the snowfall Upstate NY cities do.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:02 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times
Yes, true, upstate NY has the cloudiest weather outside the Pacific Northwest. A little bit of sun can relieve the gloom.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:43 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Minneapolis is fairly mild with seasonal average snowfall totals barely above 50 inches most winters. Minneapolis Spring, Summer, and Fall are also much better than most of the US with very mild temperatures.
Minneapolis regularly sees 20s and teens during the spring and fall. Hardly a mild climate in those times.

Quote:
Says someone who has never been to Syracuse or Buffalo.

Does Minneapolis average 120" of snowfall? No. It barely gets half that amount.

Get out more.
More snow doesn't necessarily mean greater cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Heat: Phoenix
Humidity: Houston
Cold: Minneapolis
Cloud: Seattle
Wrong. There are cities in the US far more humid, and regularly see higher dew-points. And of that group of cities, quite a few have seen much higher heat indices. Houston is far from the worst in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Those stats don't show how muggy it gets, it shows how long it's muggy.
They already take into account how muggy it gets, as shown with the graphs, as well as indication by the breakdowns (the dew point level cut-offs for each comfort zone). DC not only has a longer period of mugginess than Philadelphia, it also has greater instances of "oppressive" level dew-points, which can be seen by comparing the graphs of the two cities. Baltimore, and especially DC are muggier than Philly, plain and simple.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-22-2017 at 12:53 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Oh hell yeah, the weather in Upstate New York is disastrous. Even living in New York City, the weather Upstate took me by surprise. New York City is relatively calm with a few 60F days during winter, lots of sun, and pretty much guaranteed warmth from April on. Upstate NY is a completely different story, cloudy and lasting cold, bitter cold well into April and sometimes even May. Even tho you are only a few hours from New York City, it feels like being on a different country when it comes to climate

Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Quote:
Says someone who has never been to Syracuse or Buffalo.

Does Minneapolis average 120" of snowfall? No. It barely gets half that amount.

Get out more.
Excuse me? My university Upstate NY, if anybody knows how awful the climate is here, it is this poster. I was itching to include Upstate NY since I absolutely abhor the climate here, but I figured Buffalo or Syracuse are not really "cities" the same way that Minneapolis is, more like big towns. So I put in Minneapolis. Also, snowfall does not necessarily equal cold. This winter was the snowiest on record but relatively mild in terms of temperatures. Meanwhile the Siberian winters of 13/14 and 14/15 pretty much had average snowfall, despite having brutal wind chills and below freezing weather up until the end of April

Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Excuse me? My university Upstate NY, if anybody knows how awful the climate is here, it is this poster. I was itching to include Upstate NY since I absolutely abhor the climate here, but I figured Buffalo or Syracuse are not really "cities" the same way that Minneapolis is, more like big towns. So I put in Minneapolis. Also, snowfall does not necessarily equal cold. This winter was the snowiest on record but relatively mild in terms of temperatures. Meanwhile the Siberian winters of 13/14 and 14/15 pretty much had average snowfall, despite having brutal wind chills and below freezing weather up until the end of April

Which is the exact reason for bias. Nobody cares about Upstate cities (rightfully so), so they get ignored.

However, Upstate NY has 7 million people, regardless. Minnesota has 5.5 million.

Minneapolis average highs/lows:

December - 27/12
January - 24/7
February - 29/13

Average snowfall - 45 inches

Syracuse average highs/lows:

December - 36/22
January - 31/15
February - 34/17

Average snowfall - 120 inches

Utica average highs/lows:

December - 34/19
January - 29/12
February - 32/14

Average snowfall - 100 inches

Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 AM

102 posts, read 123,882 times
Going out on a limb here: Fairbanks, Alaska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.