Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 08:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Almost as much as you'll enjoy melting into the sidewalk.
Yours is hyperbole, while I stated actual fact. Tampa is crushingly humid in the summer and early fall.

We get some hot days here, but with dewpoints mainly in the 40s&50s, much easier to take
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 11:58 PM

405 posts, read 475,744 times
Dont get why everyone on here is so quick to bash Phoenix on EVERYTHING all the time (not to get in between the convo)

But IMO it has some of the best weather in the country. From what I've experienced, the summer wasnt as bad as everyone made it seem. I'm from Staten Island and summers here can feel just as bad as Florida with the humidity choking you in your sleep some days, and random torrential downpours on the beach, just like most of the east coast during the summer.

I spent about 3 weeks visiting family in Litchfield Park, AZ in Mid July and didnt think it was all that bad. Don't get me wrong, it was hot, very VERY hot, but not to the point where i felt like I couldn't do anything.

Anyway, I think cold weather is MUCH more annoying to deal with anyhow. Throwing on 3/4 layers, taking half of them off once u enter an over-heated building, throwing them back on, dragging snow through the house, shoveling, driving in it, delays, traffic, getting sick, I could go on. Winters in PHX are perfect in my opinion. Usually very sunny, not cold at all by standards of most of the country, and in general you get about 9 months of perfect weather.

If anything, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, or ND/SD cities should get the worst for being extremely dark, cold and windy for 5-6 months of the year.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:06 AM

123 posts, read 159,987 times
Detroit doesn't get that cold, it's in zone 6b, the same climate as Boston.

A Minneapolis Winter and Detroit/Cleveland Winter are very different.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:35 AM

686 posts, read 621,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yours is hyperbole, while I stated actual fact. Tampa is crushingly humid in the summer and early fall.

We get some hot days here, but with dewpoints mainly in the 40s&50s, much easier to take
Mine is hyperbole, but that doesn't make it less relevant. Phoenix is unbearable in the summer. When you have to race around to stay in the shadows or indoors, that's bad. Don't have to do that here. You'll just sweat a bit. Not to mention, it's not a desert hellscape. I'm sorry that not everyone loves your precious bone dry sand town.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Mine is hyperbole, but that doesn't make it less relevant. Phoenix is unbearable in the summer. When you have to race around to stay in the shadows or indoors, that's bad. Don't have to do that here. You'll just sweat a bit. Not to mention, it's not a desert hellscape. I'm sorry that not everyone loves your precious bone dry sand town.
I used to work construction here, and I didn't have to race around for shadows or indoors. It's not coastal California, but it's not as bad as you make it. And the times I spent in Florida and Texas, I found it much more uncomfortable. I can't handle dewpoints over 60° that well, so I found Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Orlando and Jacksonville all to be very uncomfortable even at night.

Per the bolded, I remember getting out of the car at 9:30 at night in San Antonio in July and you could feel the moisture in the air, it was about 91-92 and the dewpoint had to be at least 73, and within minutes, I was soaked with sweat. That has never happened to me here in Phoenix, not even on the 119 day we had Jun 29, 2013

Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
And this isn't a desert hellscape or sand town. We have grass, trees and palms all over town. There's a thing called irrigation, maybe you've heard of it. And contrary to popular belief, we do get rain. This isn't Egypt

Old 05-28-2017, 11:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
For me personally the worst weather would be between Phoenix and Maybe Miami.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
According to the US Census out this week....Phoenix is number 1 in growth in the entire United States of America.

Phoenix has officially past the city of Philadelphia and is now the 5th largest city in the country.

A fiery hell MUST explain your pain of realizing this but you're not alone. .....20 million of your California friends are suffering from this too.

Congrats to the people of Phoenix!

Let's hope that it doesn't dry up too soon with that growth.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Detroit doesn't get that cold, it's in zone 6b, the same climate as Boston.

Very true, thank you. I LOL when I tell people I live in Michigan and they think I live in an igloo and shovel snow every day for six months. The past two winters we have had to shovel our driveway exactly twice, and then it wasn't more than 3-4". We had some days this past winter, in February even, that topped out at close to 70 degrees. This isn't the norm or a daily average or anything, but it happens during most winters here. And we are in shirt sleeves in November many years and again in early April. People that think we get 6-8 months of winter are fooling themselves.

I think SE Michigan has amazing weather, personally. We don't get the lake effect snow so it isn't as gloomy as areas just to the east of a Great Lake and April through October are amazing. Warm and sunny and temperate. We do get those hot, humid 90+ days, but not in a multi-week or multi-month stretch like cities in the South. You couldn't pay me to live in Florida, mainly for that reason. We were in New Orleans and Mobile as well a few weeks ago and it was already hot and muggy with sun like a laser beam in early May. I wouldn't want to be there in July, that's for sure.

I know there are plenty here who would disagree and trash Michigan's weather and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. I do wish that people would be honest about it though, as opposed to exaggerating greatly, but then that goes for warm weather cities as well. And I do think that many parts of Florida are beautiful and that New Orleans and Mobile are lovely and enchanting cities, so no hate that way, that's for sure. Just don't dig the climate.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 AM

51 posts, read 51,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Not really.

I'm from SE Michigan btw. Minneapolis is colder, but both winters you're dealing with snow and cold. In Minneapolis the temperature will drop a little bit more but it will also be sunnier. Also the cold window is slightly longer in Minneapolis.

Don't get me wrong, winters in SE Michigan are easier than in Minneapolis. But not dramatically different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.