Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:25 PM

65 posts, read 55,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
This is all good and true, but for many perception is reality. If they perceive the area to be dangerous it doesn't really matter what the crime stats say. New York City statistically is one of the safest cities in the US. You could explain this to some people until your blue in the face, it won't matter in their minds NYC is high crime.

Your fooling yourself is you don't believe many from the suburbs and elsewhere avoid the city, even in low crime area if they believe blacks are in the area. It just the way it is, sorry to say.

Many Asian cities have population densities far higher than all American cities with the exception of New York and for the most part have extremely low murder rates, so much for the density argument.
NYC is statistically safe but some neighborhoods in NYC are still some of the most dangerous in the country.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBellyBilly View Post
NYC is statistically safe but some neighborhoods in NYC are still some of the most dangerous in the country.
I don't agree with this. I get some of NYC neighborhoods are rough, but some of the roughest not really. East New York or the South Bronx is much safer than the south side of Chicago, St.Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore,Philly, hell even my hometown(Milwaukee) worst neighborhoods.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:35 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Black and black crime is a big deal to everyone because it makes some of the most desirable areas of major cities unlivable. Also it affects EVERYONE. mOST white people from any city with a sizable black population have been attacked or robbed by black men in there lifetime, and denial of it is causing even more problems for our whole society.
Not everybody agrees with this. This guy lives in a neighborhood beset with gang violence and realizes the color of his skin keeps him insulated from a lot of the problems that besiege his black neighbors.

There’s a ridiculous trope — put forward by the makers of TV crime dramas, auto alarm systems, handguns and attack ads against soft-on-crime politicians — that white people who set foot in the inner city are prey for African American criminals. Even my black neighbors believe it. “I think Caucasians who walk down this street are pretty brave,” one of the sneaker store owners told me.

“I think the black people are brave,” I said. “They’re the ones who get shot.”

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.f545cf8f4754)

or try this one...

The dominant narrative of the endangered white person barely making it out of the hood alive is, of course, a myth. No one is safer in communities of color than white folks. White privilege provides an invisible force field around them, powered by the historically grounded assurance that the state and media will prosecute any untoward event they may face.

(Gentrification’s insidious violence: The truth about American cities - Salon.com)

Old 09-29-2016, 06:12 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Black and black crime is a big deal to everyone because it makes some of the most desirable areas of major cities unlivable. Also it affects EVERYONE. mOST white people from any city with a sizable black population have been attacked or robbed by black men in there lifetime, and denial of it is causing even more problems for our whole society.
Black on black crime is a big deal mostly to older suburbanites who live in racially homogeneous towns and suburbs. Younger White people who live in urban neighborhoods better understand the statistical probability of something terrible happening to them (probability is low, btw) and thus tend to have more perspective.

It's sort of like people in the middle of Kansas or Missouri who are TRULY afraid of ISIS and Islamic terrorism. Do they really think ISIS is going to waste its time targeting a Walmart in suburban Kansas City? You are much, much, much, much, much more likely to die in a car accident by the end of 2016 than you are by an ISIS attack, so why in hell do so many conservatives place such laser-like focus on terrorism?

If anything, you would think conservatives would cheer ISIS on because their main targets are the Big Blue cities that are loaded with "libruls" (NYC, SF, DC, etc.).

Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 31,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6

It is amazing how some cities have some of the highest homicide rates in the world but that many, many cities all over the country have crime rates that are similar to Japan, Germany and South Korea.

The new crime report was released and what a difference from one area to another on homicide rates.

Lincoln, Nebraska for example in 2015 had just 1 homicide for a population of 276,000 people

St. Louis on the other hand had 188 homicides for a population of 317,000 people

Boulder County, Colorado with a larger population then St. Louis had 3 homicides

Baltimore, Maryland had 344 homicides with a population of 620,000

New Hampshire had 14 homicides with a population of 1.3 million or more then double the number of residents of Baltimore

Provo/Orem metro in Utah had 2 homicides with a population of 584,000 people, While Milwaukee had 145 homicides with a similar population of 600,000 people.
Demographics tell the full story. Guess what Boulder, Lincoln, NH and Utah share in common? They're all missing one thing that tends to drag stats down wherever it exists. Check Portland Oregon and Seattle too.. they're pretty big cities and have very low crime rates. What are they missing? Things that make you go Hmmm...

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43

You can attempt to explain it away a million different ways, income, density,education, but it simply doesn't matter. Places like Prince Georges county fly in the face of all the excuses, yet have horrible crime rates, horrible schools and low property values for a reason.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Not everybody agrees with this. This guy lives in a neighborhood beset with gang violence and realizes the color of his skin keeps him insulated from a lot of the problems that besiege his black neighbors.

There’s a ridiculous trope — put forward by the makers of TV crime dramas, auto alarm systems, handguns and attack ads against soft-on-crime politicians — that white people who set foot in the inner city are prey for African American criminals. Even my black neighbors believe it. “I think Caucasians who walk down this street are pretty brave,” one of the sneaker store owners told me.

“I think the black people are brave,” I said. “They’re the ones who get shot.”

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.f545cf8f4754)

or try this one...

The dominant narrative of the endangered white person barely making it out of the hood alive is, of course, a myth. No one is safer in communities of color than white folks. White privilege provides an invisible force field around them, powered by the historically grounded assurance that the state and media will prosecute any untoward event they may face.

(Gentrification’s insidious violence: The truth about American cities - Salon.com)
Both of those stories are lies and propaganda. I was born in the projects, my whole family is poor and everyone I know is from the ghetto. No one from there is paying those lies any mind, black or white. Our opinions we keep to ourselves are much different from those sites filled with naive suburbanites trying to understand the struggle.

Once again I will say naive. You are naive if you believe what these naive higher educated from suburbia folks write. I am from the streets, I am from the project, the homeless shelter, and the trailer park and I know what real life in the ghetto is like as does every single person I know. The media does not. You can't understand till you are thrown out of your crowded craphole in the slum sleeping on the streets and the streets you are most comfortable sleeping on cause it's all you know are where news reporters are saying this is the most dangerous block but you feel safe there because it's the only place you know. This is me and my people. You do not know black on black and black on EVERYBODY crime. We do.

Last edited by BeerBellyBilly; 09-29-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 PM

I encourage everyone on here to take the Altmeyer authoritarianism test. I am convinced that a solid 40% of C-D posters (especially in the POC forum) would have been ardent supporters of the Third Reich.

Who Goes Nazi? | Harper's Magazine

And I don't say that jokingly, btw. Too many people have been infected with an extremely toxic mindset. We are not as far removed from becoming a totalitarian state as people might think.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 PM

Table 1: Hostility & Fear Toward Outgroups

RWA's are more likely to:

-Weaken constitutional guarantees of liberty, such as the Bill of Rights.
-Punish severely `common' criminals in a role-playing situation.
-Admit they get personal pleasure from punishing such people.
-But go easy on authorities who commit crimes and people who attack minorities.
-Be prejudiced against many racial, ethnic, nationalistic, and linguistic minorities.
-Be hostile toward homosexuals.
-Support `gay-bashing.'
-Be hostile toward feminists.
-Volunteer to help the government persecute almost anyone.
-Be mean-spirited toward those who have made mistakes and suffered.
-Be fearful of a dangerous world.

Rightwing Authoritarianism and Conservative Identity Politics (Pt 3 in the series)

Old 09-29-2016, 06:50 PM

Be quiet Yankee. I live in the ghetto. I was born here and I'm straight out the shelter, I was sleeping there for 4 months before I slept on streets on blocks you are scared to drive down an I know all the prostitutes an hot boys on a first name basis there an now I got my own place, in the projects but I can navigate that an I'm grateful to have this privilege of sleeping indoors in the ghetto. Stay in your lane with your fairy tales and little tests made by rich folk.

The US has a huge disparity in crime amongst certain areas and the only brothas in denial about the reason why, do not live in the hood.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:55 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromALX View Post
Demographics tell the full story. Guess what Boulder, Lincoln, NH and Utah share in common? They're all missing one thing that tends to drag stats down wherever it exists. Check Portland Oregon and Seattle too.. they're pretty big cities and have very low crime rates. What are they missing? Things that make you go Hmmm...

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43

You can attempt to explain it away a million different ways, income, density,education, but it simply doesn't matter. Places like Prince Georges county fly in the face of all the excuses, yet have horrible crime rates, horrible schools and low property values for a reason.
Prince George's County is a tale of inside the Beltway versus outside of the Beltway. So, it depends on where in that county you are referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.