Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 09:51 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,304,661 times

Advertisements

it doesn't make sense not to have NC State in the same 'tier' with Va Techh, Clemson, and Auburn. They are similar land grant instititutions with a lot of STEM programs and research. NC State is ranked higher than Auburn, and being the main STEM university in the RTP is a good brag for it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 10:07 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I prefer to put schools in general tiers. So IMO:

Tier 1: Duke, Vandy, Rice
Tier 2: UNC, GA Tech, Univ. of Texas, Wake Forest, UF, Emory, Washington & Lee, William & Mary, UVA, Tulane, Davidson, Sewanee.
Tier 3: UGA, Clemson, Auburn, SMU, Texas A&M, Baylor, VA Tech.
Tier 4: Most of the other SEC schools, FSU, Houston, NC State, etc.

Probably missing some, but the south stacks up better than expected in the higher education department. I think it probably beats any region that isn't the northeast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
More like; Tier 1: Duke, Vandy, Rice, Emory
UVA, Wake Forest, UNC and Georgia Tech are Tier 1 schools. They're ranked 24th, 27th, 30th and 34th nationally. Schools like UVA, UNC, GA Tech and William & Mary are also considered Public Ivies which by logical definition would elevate them into Tier1. Tier 2 schools don't start until one reaches schools ranked below 50, though in recent years it's probably more like below #125 where the true second tier emerges with the advent and popularity of regional universities (i.e. NE fill-in-the-blank State) which are Tier 3 or below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...ublic_Ivy_list

Old 10-01-2016, 10:45 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Why do you say that?

I doubt many outside Atlanta view Emory as on par with the other three. At least as far as admission criteria is concerned, Emory is a lot more like my tier 2 schools.
Well, noone outside of Atlanta besides USNWR. They rank Emory at #20 (tie) nationally, while Vanderbilt and Rice are tied at #15.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:40 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,751,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
There are also some quite well-respected liberal arts colleges that bear mentioning. Some that jump to mind: Davidson; Washington & Lee; Richmond; Furman; Sewanee; Rollins.
I would add Stetson, Elon and for women Hollins and Agnes Scott.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
This is the college ranking that matters most.

Business Insider's 30 most fun colleges The 30 most fun colleges in America - Business Insider

The top ten schools listed were University of Illinois, Tulane University, Iowa University, Kansas State University, Clemson University, Syracuse University, West Virginia University, Penn State University, Claremont McKenna College and the University of Dayton.

So Clemson at no. 5, Vandy at no. 14. And these rankings did not even account for fact is Clemson campus is right next to a lake and it has its own lake beach, and it is near the Blue Ridge mountains.

onece you factor those things in and the warm winters in Clemson, i think Clemson has to be considered no. 1 most fun college. it is like going to college at a mountain lake resort. and obviously schools like Vandy and WM and Rice and Emory and DUke can't give a student the football game atmosphere and competitivness that Clemson can.
If your priority for a college is 'fun', best of luck getting through your freshman year. I went to Rollins in Winter Park; the typical frosh washout was the snowbird that came down for what they anticipated to be an eternal Spring Break.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:52 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,213,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
UVA, Wake Forest, UNC and Georgia Tech are Tier 1 schools. They're ranked 24th, 27th, 30th and 34th nationally. Schools like UVA, UNC, GA Tech and William & Mary are also considered Public Ivies which by logical definition would elevate them into Tier1. Tier 2 schools don't start until one reaches schools ranked below 50, though in recent years it's probably more like below #125 where the true second tier emerges with the advent and popularity of regional universities (i.e. NE fill-in-the-blank State) which are Tier 3 or below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...ublic_Ivy_list
I should clarify that those are my subjective groupings (based on stats and rankings, etc.). I realize those other schools you mentioned are "tier 1" by US News standards--I go to grad school at one of them, so I have no reason to knock my "tier 2" schools. Call them Tier 1a and 1b if you want.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,754,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
UT Austin is a great school, but either UC Berkeley or University of Michigan are likely the "best" state-supported flagship (if you want to call Berkeley that...) universities.

I'd lump UT Austin in the upper echelon with schools such as UW Madison, UNC, UIUC, University of Washington, etc.

For the best universities in the south, I'd say it's probably a toss-up among Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke, and GA Tech.
I'd say that Cal, U-M, and UVA are "the best state supported flagships". If you consider UCLA to be, along with Cal, a California flagship*, add that to the list, too.

I fully agree with your grouping of UT Austin, UW Madison, UNC, U of I, UWash as that "upper echelon" you describe. But the top rung of publics, IMHO, really are those 4: Cal, UCLA, U-M, UVA

---

• I do consider California to be a "two flagship state"....I would say the same about...

Michigan: U-M, MSU
Texas, UT, A&M
Florida: UF, FSU
Indiana: IU, Purdue

among others.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:23 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,304,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If your priority for a college is 'fun', best of luck getting through your freshman year. I went to Rollins in Winter Park; the typical frosh washout was the snowbird that came down for what they anticipated to be an eternal Spring Break.
Students work hard and play hard at Clemson. it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. i'm not going to apologize for having fun and liking to have fun.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Students work hard and play hard at Clemson. it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. i'm not going to apologize for having fun and liking to have fun.
Yes, I know a few Clemson grads. Wild and crazy guys.
Seriously, I do like your Alma Mater.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:33 PM

97 posts, read 121,801 times
Texas isn't southern. But Uni of Texas at Austin is the best university in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.