Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 1,878 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are having problems figuring out where to live so we can buy a house and have a family. We currently live in his home area in Madison, Indiana. There are no jobs, homes, or things to do as it is a retirement community. My hometown is La Porte, Indiana up at Lake Michigan. We considered moving to my hometown, but we soon discovered that while it has homes for sale and things to do that there were not very many jobs. His parents are older and could not help us when we have a family. My parents could help us in some ways, but they are still working for the next several years. Because of this we are open to living in a different state.

I just graduated with a degree in business and he does not have a college degree and works in manufacturing. He does not mind commuting up to an hour for the right pay, but I will not drive more than 30 minutes to work. We plan to homeschool our children until at least high school so schools are not really a concern. Since we will most likely be alone with no family we plan for him to be a stay at home dad when we do have children. We love to go to restaurants, movies, and walk around malls or stores. He can't stand the city because of crime so it will either have to be a town or the suburbs of a big city. A child friendly community with lots of things for them to do is a must, especially in the summer.

We both don't like extremely hot, humid, or cold weather. We do not want to live within 200 miles of the ocean because of hurricanes and we don't want to live where there are frequent tornados. Also California is out because of earthquakes and the high cost of living. Moderately priced cost of living is a must.

Any and all suggestions would be great! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh1990 View Post
We both don't like extremely hot, humid, or cold weather. We do not want to live within 200 miles of the ocean because of hurricanes and we don't want to live where there are frequent tornados. Also California is out because of earthquakes and the high cost of living. Moderately priced cost of living is a must.

I am just going to focus on this part.....

Nowhere too hot? Take out the entire southeast and southwest.

Nowhere too cold? Take out the upper Midwest, as well as New England and plains states.

More than 200 miles from the ocean? I hate to break this to you, but this is irrational. I have lived within 200 miles of the ocean (or Gulf) (less than 10 miles and up to about 60 miles) for more than 16 years of my life, and have never received any significant damage, or ever had to evacuate due to a hurricane. Unless you are within about 20-50 miles, this is nothing to worry about. Even then, unless it just happens to be a really bad one or you happen to live somewhere prone to flooding, it is still nothing to worry about. Even still, take out a large portion of every state bordering the ocean.

Nowhere with frequent tornadoes? This would depend on your definition of frequent. Just about every state has "frequent" tornadoes. The places with the least are the West Coast and New England.

No high cost of living places? Take out the West Coast, unless you are down for rural, which it doesn't sound like you are.

So basically, New England? Out. Southeast? Out. West Coast? Out. Southwest? Out. Plains? Out. Upper Midwest? Out.

You would more or less be looking at being near where you are now. Southern Ohio, West Virginia, the western portion of Virginia, Maybe Kentucky?

Last edited by southernbored; 09-30-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 12:47 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
If you were considering your hometown, but jobs were an issue, what about an area not too far away with some jobs like the Indianapolis area or maybe a smaller area like Ann Arbor MI, which is down I-94.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
OP, your wants are a bit extreme, but here's what I'm left with after adjusting for your criteria.

All have no tornadoes or hurricanes. Corvallis has the best chance at earthquakes. All have lower than average unemployment rates. All of them get snow, but not a lot. None are humid.

Prescott, AZ
-summer highs in the mid 80's. 12 inches of snow. It is a destination for retirees. 478 sub $200K units for sale in the county (2 bed+).

Boise, ID
-summer highs in the upper 80's. 19 inches of snow. Popular with out of state transplants. 490 sub $200K units for sale in the county (2 bed+)

Reno, NV
-summer highs in the upper 80's. 21 inches of snow. Not Vegas. 259 sub $200K units in the county.

Corvallis, OR
-summer highs in the upper 70's. 5 inches of snow. Home of Oregon State University. 34 sub $200K units in the county.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:42 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out the Logan-Ogden area north of Salt Lake City UT as it hits all of your criteria fairly well.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:47 PM

159 posts, read 269,674 times
Quote:
Hello. My husband and I are having problems figuring out where to live so we can buy a house and have a family. We currently live in his home area in Madison, Indiana. There are no jobs, homes, or things to do as it is a retirement community. My hometown is La Porte, Indiana up at Lake Michigan. We considered moving to my hometown, but we soon discovered that while it has homes for sale and things to do that there were not very many jobs. His parents are older and could not help us when we have a family. My parents could help us in some ways, but they are still working for the next several years. Because of this we are open to living in a different state.

I just graduated with a degree in business and he does not have a college degree and works in manufacturing. He does not mind commuting up to an hour for the right pay, but I will not drive more than 30 minutes to work. We plan to homeschool our children until at least high school so schools are not really a concern. Since we will most likely be alone with no family we plan for him to be a stay at home dad when we do have children. We love to go to restaurants, movies, and walk around malls or stores. He can't stand the city because of crime so it will either have to be a town or the suburbs of a big city. A child friendly community with lots of things for them to do is a must, especially in the summer.

Albuquerque and Santa Fe are really the only places I can think of that meet all of those requirements. Honestly not sure why you seem so opposed to living in a place that can have natural disasters but to each their own. Just keep in mind your hometown had cold winters and tornado's. You could try Denver good economy, although they can get a lot of snow

Old 10-01-2016, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
[/b] You could try Denver good economy, although they can get a lot of snow
And plenty of tornado warnings. And cold.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:10 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
Quote:

Why don't you look into NW Indiana or the south suburbs of Chicago in Illinois? You'd be close to your parents, there are jobs in the city, and your husband would likely be able to find something. Joilet has several new warehouses and Amazon was hiring something like 2k new employees. Being from the area you know what the weather is like.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
We love to go to restaurants, movies, and walk around malls or stores.
This will all stop once you have kids and are living on a single income. I don't know any parents whose lives (and bank accounts) aren't consumed by their children. Stay in Indiana. It is family friendly and cheap.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Why don't you look into NW Indiana or the south suburbs of Chicago in Illinois? You'd be close to your parents, there are jobs in the city, and your husband would likely be able to find something. Joilet has several new warehouses and Amazon was hiring something like 2k new employees. Being from the area you know what the weather is like.

I would not move to the South suburbs of Illinois! Lots of tornados, but more importantly the state is in a fiscal mess! Property taxes are insane and so is the cost of living. NW Indiana is a very good option! 30-60 minutes to Chicago depending on the town. Ton's of jobs in Chicago! Property taxes are capped at 1% of your homes value. Very affordable homes and friendly people! Ton's of stores and restaurants in Schererville and Merrillville. Not far from Lake Michigan. Great schools just in case you change your mind on that. I would look at the towns of Dyer, Schererville and Saint John. Of course there's a lot of snow here though, but you can't have them all!

Last edited by CGab; 10-10-2016 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.