Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
Thanks for suggesting Redding!
I lived in Tempe, AZ for a short while, heat I can handle. But where I've lived these past dozen years we have dew points over 70 for way too many months for my comfort level now. It's worsened gradually, too.
Humidity will not be an issue in Redding! It's normally something like 13%. Crazy dry. So dry, you'll be coating your nostrils with vaseline :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 12:38 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
OP is looking for a place that is quiet and conducive to their writing. I don't think Morgantown would fit the bill since it has a large college in town
How about outside of Morgantown? There are quite a few small cities and big enough towns in that region, with enough amenities to make it livable, which are surrounded by beautiful countryside.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I chose SD. On the west side of the state there are plenty of woods, but you will have to search real estate ads carefully to find something in your price range. On the east side of the state you can find plenty of nice places in your price range, but you will have to watch real estate ads carefully to find woods. That's what I did, (I have 3 wooded acres in a great location) but I had to watch the real estate listings carefully and jump on the property when it became available.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:43 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
OP is looking for a place that is quiet and conducive to their writing. I don't think Morgantown would fit the bill since it has a large college in town
Clearly you haven't visited Morgantown. It's a college town of 26K (not "large") and would offer everything needed included a sense of culture...along with truly quiet residential areas on the outskirts.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:26 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
As far as I know, CA is tax-friendly to retirees, believe it or not. And there are other great benefits if you are low-income, like Medi-Cal.

Look around Redding, CA. Redding has good entertainment and shopping, so you could go into town for civilized activities. Outside of town, there are a lot of pro-marijuana folk, but it's mainly Republican and pro-gun, too, in that area, if that sounds good to you.

I'm Democrat, but get along with Republicans and I liked that area. The only reason I moved away (after living there for a year) is because it's too hot for me. If you can take really hot temps for half the year, you might like it. The winters might include snow, but the winters are not severe.

Look at listings in Shasta County, Ca.

Shasta County, CA Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

If the weather wasn't so hot, I would have stayed forever. It's otherwise a nice area. Very pretty, good air quality, and good healthcare, shopping, entertainment, etc., in Redding.

Oh no, nomoresnow! You didn't just recommend Redding did you?! Now why would you go and do such a thing?!
And as much as i love California i certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone like the o.p..
There are too many reasons not to move to CA at this point. COL and drought being two that come to mind immediately.
And if i wanted to purchase a peaceful place to write and spend time with my old dog i wouldn't want to ever have to think about fire!

Old 10-09-2016, 01:36 AM

143 posts, read 158,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you haven't visited Morgantown. It's a college town of 26K (not "large") and would offer everything needed included a sense of culture...along with truly quiet residential areas on the outskirts.
I said a town with a large college in it. You don't think 30k students is a large college?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Oh no, nomoresnow! You didn't just recommend Redding did you?! Now why would you go and do such a thing?!
And as much as i love California i certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone like the o.p..
There are too many reasons not to move to CA at this point. COL and drought being two that come to mind immediately.
And if i wanted to purchase a peaceful place to write and spend time with my old dog i wouldn't want to ever have to think about fire!
LOL, well, maybe you're among those who don't want more people moving to CA? But, otherwise, I disagree with you on the COL. The entire state is not expensive. SF, sure. But, not outside of Redding.

And the OP is a writer, so doesn't need a great job. And wants somewhere that's not humid. And woodsy. Redding fits the bill.

Yes, the fire danger can be scary. I agree with you there. And getting insurance can be expensive when you're in a high-risk fire area. The state guarantees insurance, though, if you can't find a regular insurance company that will take you.

Other than expensive areas as far as real estate in CA, the cost of living in my experience living in WA and TN and CA, is that CA is actually cheaper. Groceries are cheaper. Heating is cheaper. Depending on were you live, electricity is cheaper.

Water - depends on where you live. Here in Del Norte County, we don't have a shortage of water. This is a big state, and the entire state is not dying of thirst.

Also, our property taxes are a great deal. Your real estate taxes stay based on your original purchase price, no matter how long you own your property, and that can be passed on to your heirs, due to Prop 13 that was passed in the 1970's. There was recently an article in the local paper that property is being reassessed in Brookings, Or, just across the border here, and their taxes are expected to go up something like 13%. That can't happen in CA.

But, I don't think you have to worry about some huge influx of people moving here, because pretty much nobody believes what I just said, even after someone like me tells them it's true. And they won't take the time to check it out, because they're too lazy and they have just lived all of their life believing everything is more expensive in CA.

And I guess overall, that's fine. Keeps supply and demand in check LOL.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, well, maybe you're among those who don't want more people moving to CA? But, otherwise, I disagree with you on the COL. The entire state is not expensive. SF, sure. But, not outside of Redding.

And the OP is a writer, so doesn't need a great job. And wants somewhere that's not humid. And woodsy. Redding fits the bill.

Yes, the fire danger can be scary. I agree with you there. And getting insurance can be expensive when you're in a high-risk fire area. The state guarantees insurance, though, if you can't find a regular insurance company that will take you.

Other than expensive areas as far as real estate in CA, the cost of living in my experience living in WA and TN and CA, is that CA is actually cheaper. Groceries are cheaper. Heating is cheaper. Depending on were you live, electricity is cheaper.

Water - depends on where you live. Here in Del Norte County, we don't have a shortage of water. This is a big state, and the entire state is not dying of thirst.

Also, our property taxes are a great deal. Your real estate taxes stay based on your original purchase price, no matter how long you own your property, and that can be passed on to your heirs, due to Prop 13 that was passed in the 1970's. There was recently an article in the local paper that property is being reassessed in Brookings, Or, just across the border here, and their taxes are expected to go up something like 13%. That can't happen in CA.

But, I don't think you have to worry about some huge influx of people moving here, because pretty much nobody believes what I just said, even after someone like me tells them it's true. And they won't take the time to check it out, because they're too lazy and they have just lived all of their life believing everything is more expensive in CA.

And I guess overall, that's fine. Keeps supply and demand in check LOL.
I hear ya but there are so many places west of the rockies that are far more desirable than Redding. And even in CA there are relatively affordable places that aren't afflicted like Redding is. I'd never recommend it to anyone but particularly not to someone who doesn't know California and the many reasons why Redding is far from a great place to be ... imo ... and the opinion of many others who know what's what.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:48 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Morgantown WV. It's a progressive small city with a low cost of living, lots of outdoor recreational opportunity and plenty of amenities including cultural events at WVU and quality healthcare at WVU's Medical Center

Downtown Morgantown & the Historic Wharf District - Main Street Morgantown
Home | About | West Virginia University
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I hear ya but there are so many places west of the rockies that are far more desirable than Redding. And even in CA there are relatively affordable places that aren't afflicted like Redding is. I'd never recommend it to anyone but particularly not to someone who doesn't know California and the many reasons why Redding is far from a great place to be ... imo ... and the opinion of many others who know what's what.
Yes, I reread OP....he said cooler, that leaves out Redding for sure.
It gets very hot in summer.

High elevation SW is good.

Mild, dry, cool, and forested.

Timberon, NM
Ruidoso, NM
Cloudcroft, NM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.