Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would Toronto place among US cities in terms of significance?
3rd 12 17.91%
4th 20 29.85%
5th 11 16.42%
6th 7 10.45%
7th 7 10.45%
8th 5 7.46%
Other 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:27 AM

311 posts, read 314,202 times

Advertisements

I went with fifth after NYC, LA, Chicago, and DC. Was considering fourth but decided to bump down to fifth due to DC's status as the nation's capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Toronto's gdp of $287 Billion would rank 12th among US CSAs in between Miami and Detroit.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarstorrrrey View Post
Dude, chill out. Toronto is a nice city but it is still not world class. It does not have the diversity (by U.S standards) that most cities have in the the United States. I don't know of any kind of real Hispanic or black community in Toronto either.

Toronto is just simply not impressive to most. It is not a city well known on the world stage, it is not iconic. Canadians should be proud that they have quite a large city such as Toronto in a country with such a small and mostly rural dwelling population though. That is a personal accomplishment.
It's the most diverse city on North America. As others have stated, Canada doesn't measure metros the same way. I'd put the GTA behind NY, LA and Chicago, but it would have a legit chance against any other US city.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's the most diverse city on North America. As others have stated, Canada doesn't measure metros the same way.
By US standards, Toronto is about 50% Non Hispanic White( Canada calls it 'Non Visible Minority') and that places it around the same as DC and Dallas and San Diego but not as diverse as LA, Miami, Houston or SF which ate 40% or less.

2011 NATIONAL HOUSEHOLD SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS: Factsheet 2

Old 10-05-2016, 05:41 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
If the Greater Toronto Area were to literally just become an independent city state of the US overnight and kept everything the exact same except for the Canadian flags turning into American flags, it would be considered one of the best cities in the entire world by people on this forum.

You'd all talk about how balanced, safe, thriving, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, interesting, etc, etc, it was.

Instead -- it's Canadian so it's interest is diminished and accomplishments **** on. No matter what Toronto does it always has to be "rounded down" by City-Data members to make sure that it always and no matter what must fall behind Chicago, DC, San Fran, Boston, Miami, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Philly and all 5 NYC boroughs.
It's not that Ameicans have a bias against Canada or anything, but we are a much more powerful, recognizable, influential nation, so Ameiricas 3rd, 4th, 5th cities are still going to be able to compete with Canada's #1 city.

Don't take that the wrong way. Sometimes I wish we were more peaceful and calm like Canada, or that our political system was not a hot mess and more like yours (OK, I'll admit idk anything about Canada politics, but I'm assuming yours can't be worse than ours. I am glad to have a say in US elections though)

I wouldn't take these polls too seriously, but I also don't think Atlanta or Dallas would beat Toronto. Citydata isn't too fond of sprawling suburban cities. I think Toronto could probably beat Seattle, Miami, and Philly too, and maybe even Boston.

However, those other cities you named are the top cities in the US, especially NYC. Do you mean that you think Toronto should beat NYC or are you talking about each borough individually? There was a recent thread on Toronto vs Brooklyn. If you're talking about individual boroughs, maybe you don't understand the scale of NYC? If each borough was its own separate city, they would still be some of the largest more powerful cities in North America, especially Brooklyn and Manhattan. I think Toronto could definitely beat Staten Island (lol sorry to pick on SI), and probably the Bronx too, but not Manhattan or Brooklyn. Queens I'm not sure about. I'm from Queens, it's weird lol.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 10-05-2016 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 AM

150 posts, read 215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarstorrrrey View Post
Dude, chill out. Toronto is a nice city but it is still not world class. It does not have the diversity (by U.S standards) that most cities have in the the United States. I don't know of any kind of real Hispanic or black community in Toronto either.

Toronto is just simply not impressive to most. It is not a city well known on the world stage, it is not iconic. Canadians should be proud that they have quite a large city such as Toronto in a country with such a small and mostly rural dwelling population though. That is a personal accomplishment.
But San Fran, Boston, Seattle, Miami, Dallas, Houston, etc are "world class?"

And the bolded just proves the cognitive dissonance of so many American posters here. It's one of the most diverse cities in the world. It's just that "dviersity" simply means "less white people" to Americans, I presume?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:

And the bolded just proves the cognitive dissonance of so many American posters here. It's one of the most diverse cities in the world. It's just that "dviersity" simply means "less white people" to Americans, I presume?
American standards are crude but accomplish the necessary task of distinguishing 'Hispanics' as a single group regardless of race which for the most part are unified in social and cultural norms not to mention language. It just makes sense to do it that way in this country.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:26 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:

A lot of things go into diversity other than race. Languages, immigrants, religions, ethnicity, just to name a few. Diversity is a funny thing to rank though, especially when different countries have different definitions on how to define certain things. I don't think you should take city data polls too seriously. If you like your city, then who cares what strangers on the Internet think.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:40 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
in the top 5

Old 10-05-2016, 06:40 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
By US standards, Toronto is about 50% Non Hispanic White( Canada calls it 'Non Visible Minority') and that places it around the same as DC and Dallas and San Diego but not as diverse as LA, Miami, Houston or SF which ate 40% or less.

2011 NATIONAL HOUSEHOLD SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS: Factsheet 2
Canada excludes all First Nations people (39k in the GTA) as well as anyone who lists white or any european nation on the census from the visible minority category. meaning someone who checks a Ghanaian who emigrates from England is not considered a visible minority. The city is rougly 405 foreign born, and its immigrant population doesn't come from one country or region.

2006 Census : Visible Minority Population and Population Group Reference Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.