Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I'm looking at jobs in the northwest from MN to NE. Coming from the south where we have maybe 2-3 days where the low gets to 18-20 degrees F and a cold day's high is 40s, how difficult is it to adjust to the winter in the the northern states? I've seen maybe an inch of snow in 5 years and it was melted by noon. How much colder does it feel and what clothing does everybody wear daily for just running erands or going to work? Also will a 2wd jeep with limited slip diff suffice in cities?

Sorry for the ignorant questions. I know 103f and 80% humidity, but northern cold is totally foreign to me.

don't listen to any of this "dress-in-layers", "buy warm boots", "get a warm hat" crapola

it is crucial to condition yourself to the less than warm (never ever even use the word cold to your friends and co-workers)

first off, never wear a coat until it gets to below 10 degrees, a sweat shirt with a hoodie is acceptable attire to about 20 degrees. Below that you can start wearing a baseball cap under your hoodie until it hits 10. Wear a light coat until it gets below zero at which time you can wear a winter coat and stocking cap/bomber hat until about -15. You are permitted to don the artic wear once the temp starts approaching -20.

surf shorts should be worn until it gets to about 40.

sorrels or winter boots are only needed to push your neighbors' cars out of snow banks

Oh, and if anyone tries to scare you with that windchill index bs, tell them to grow a pair and say that windchill only has an effect on naked people standing in the wind and has no effect on non-wussies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 12:11 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
don't listen to any of this "dress-in-layers", "buy warm boots", "get a warm hat" crapola

it is crucial to condition yourself to the less than warm (never ever even use the word cold to your friends and co-workers)

first off, never wear a coat until it gets to below 10 degrees, a sweat shirt with a hoodie is acceptable attire to about 20 degrees. Below that you can start wearing a baseball cap under your hoodie until it hits 10. Wear a light coat until it gets below zero at which time you can wear a winter coat and stocking cap/bomber hat until about -15. You are permitted to don the artic wear once the temp starts approaching -20.

sorrels or winter boots are only needed to push your neighbors' cars out of snow banks

Oh, and if anyone tries to scare you with that windchill index bs, tell them to grow a pair and say that windchill only has an effect on naked people standing in the wind and has no effect on non-wussies.
Thats funny. I live in the South and we have a few northern transplants around my neighborhood. Its comical to watch these folks go for a walk when the temp gets down to 45 or 50. They are dressed for the artic. Full parka, gloves, etc. They do this just to go to the mailbox. I guess its just habit.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I'm looking at jobs in the northwest from MN to NE. Coming from the south where we have maybe 2-3 days where the low gets to 18-20 degrees F and a cold day's high is 40s, how difficult is it to adjust to the winter in the the northern states? I've seen maybe an inch of snow in 5 years and it was melted by noon. How much colder does it feel and what clothing does everybody wear daily for just running erands or going to work? Also will a 2wd jeep with limited slip diff suffice in cities?

Sorry for the ignorant questions. I know 103f and 80% humidity, but northern cold is totally foreign to me.

Mind me asking where you live in the South? Only a thin coastal strip in the South in winter is as mild as you claim with coldest nights of 18-20F, and have a coldest day in the 40'sF. You are either right on the Gulf Coast, right on the Atlantic Coast from Charleston on south, or in TX from Houston on south.

Most Americans don't realize how cold the majority of the inland South can get in winter. Do people realize that the record low in Savannah, GA is 3F in 1985 (not like a hundred years ago lol). They have had a day there where it didn't get above freezing as recent as 2014 where it reached 31F for a high. Subtropical paradise it isn't lol.

Columbia, SC in 2014 they had a day that only got to 30F for a high. In 2014 it went down to 11F at night, and in 2015 it got down to 12F. You don't even want to know how cold it got there in the 1980's.

Atlanta is even colder. Same for places like Montgomery, AL and Jackson, MS. Only the immediate coast in the South is as mild as you claim, and then even places like Savannah and Mobile have gone into the single digits F and have had days that didn't get above freezing.

And even Savannah gets snow as it averages .3" of snow per year. Certainly hardly any at all compared to more northerly locales, and many years Savannah gets nothing, but some years it gets decent ice and snow storms. Inland it is more.

The South is not nearly as mild as people perceive in winter. Averages there are very deceptive and temps go up and down all winter long and they can get decent snowstorms some cold years as well.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Thats funny. I live in the South and we have a few northern transplants around my neighborhood. Its comical to watch these folks go for a walk when the temp gets down to 45 or 50. They are dressed for the artic. Full parka, gloves, etc. They do this just to go to the mailbox. I guess its just habit.

There are many areas in the South where the avg high in winter is 50F, with many many days in the 30'sF and 40sF. I certainly saw people in Mobile, AL bundled up in Feb 2015 when the temp was in the upper 40'sF. The South is no subtropical paradise and people bundle up there in winter. Especially say when Atlanta went down to 6F and a high of 24F in 2014. Lol and a high of 28F in 2015 I'll bet they were wearing everything they could get their hands on.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:49 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
There are many areas in the South where the avg high in winter is 50F, with many many days in the 30'sF and 40sF. I certainly saw people in Mobile, AL bundled up in Feb 2015 when the temp was in the upper 40'sF. The South is no subtropical paradise and people bundle up there in winter. Especially say when Atlanta went down to 6F and a high of 24F in 2014. Lol and a high of 28F in 2015 I'll bet they were wearing everything they could get their hands on.
I understand. But I'm talking about a night time low of 45 to 50 deg F and people bundled up like they are in the arctic.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:

There is a kernel of truth in this humorous reply. You have to come to terms with the fact that you're going to be somewhat chilly. If you insist of staying toasty warm, you'll break out all your cold-weather gear when temps hit 40 degrees, which will make REALLY cold temps feel that much colder.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
Quote:

Haha

I like your style.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:59 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
I didn't move up north (not yet) but I moved from Miami to west and north Texas, and it might as well be Nebraska compared to back home in winter time. The cold is so easy to adapt to, and far easier to deal with than heat. You don't sweat in the cold and the humidity is low by default (a humid cold day is much drier than a humid hot day) and you can always add clothes but you can only take off so much. Also it costs less to heat the house. I run air conditioner when its hot, that racks up the electric bill by a lot. When its cold, we run a gas heater. Its pocket change.

Back home, people bust out jackets in the 50s. I am usually in just a t. shirt in the 50s. Maybe if its really windy or rainy I'll wear a sweater, but I love sweaters anyway. I don't get the obsession so many have with being half naked outside every day. And its often people who need to hit the gym more often than not :P

Btw 103 and 80% humidity is not likely weather on planet Earth. That implies a 96 degree dewpoint which would KILL you.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Haha that does sound rough transition. I went to Pitt as well, but I'm from the area. We're you here recently (2014)? I walked to class when it was -17 (temperature not wind chill).

That was an experience, even for a native Pittsbugher.
I have you beat. I was there during the lowest recorded temperature ever in the city of Pittsburgh. It was -22 (actual temperature) with a -50 wind chill (very strong winds).

In our building, we turned the heat to the maximum, 85 degrees. In the entrance hallway to the dorm you could see your breath.

I cooked up a gumbo for my roommates because that's what we do in Louisiana when it's cold. It steams everything up and the spices and hot soup do wonders for warming you up.

They actually cancelled classes that day. The governor of PA said that the power grid was severely stressed and that brownouts were imminent. So the school turned the heat down to 55 in the classrooms and cancelled classes. Only the dorms and cafeterias remained open.

Within 2 weeks it was a record high of 70 degrees. I went jogging along ice piles that were quickly melting in the warm sun.

I'll take 105 in Austin over -22 anyday.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:

And we can remove his frozen body from the pavement next polar vortex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.