Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
MN is getting into the mid 30's at night right now, I guarantee that heating is on in homes up there.

I only use A/C 4-5 months in Texas (I guess that makes me super tough by your definition lol). When I lived up north I used it 6-7 months. Usually started around October and ended April. There was a snowstorm in Pittsburgh one April by the way.

Unless you've lived up north and have experience -5 or below you don't know what you're talking about. As I've lived both north and south I'm fully qualified to talk about this.

don't believe Minneapolis has yet to hit the 30's yet, our heating is not yet turned on and I'm way North of Minneapolis and still sleeping with the windows open, I however really do know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:03 AM

44 posts, read 44,594 times
It will be quite the challenge.

In the Southern US (especially the coastal/warmer areas of the region), any freezes that come occur only as brief spells, lasting 1-2hrs, before the day then warms up to the 60s. In contrast, the freezing in the Northern US will last for much longer, to the point that places like Chicago feature average high temps below the mark.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I however really do know what I'm talking about
Could've fooled me. I'm sure you're braving the elements in Bel Air, lol

Old 10-06-2016, 12:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Within a few years you will realize why most Northerners are clamoring to retire in Florida.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:41 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Hey OP, it's different for everyone. Don't listen to folks who tell you that you'll absolutely hate it, nor to the folks who will tell you that it's a breeze, mind over matter or any of that nonsense. Some people will always hate the cold, some people will take to it without too many problems. Most people adjust relatively well to the temps most of the time.
Just like down here in the south there will be some nice days and some brutal days. Dress accordingly and try to get your butt outside for some fun on the nicest days.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:57 PM

33 posts, read 38,670 times
You don't get used to it, you complain about it. Then when Spring comes, you complain that it's still in the 40s. Then when Summer comes, you complain about the humidity. Then it's Fall and everyone is happy for 3 months...and then you start complaining again.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:07 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
All I can say, just like the others, is to dress in layers. Make sure your face and hands are covered. Invest in a good pair of boots. Wear thermal underwear. Get a shovel. Make sure your car is in shape for the winter. Take extra time during the snowy and icy days to get to work. Usually during the first couple of snowfalls, there are numerous automobile accidents. Also multiple car pileups are common during heavy snow falls.

Minnesota is one of the states you are considering and it gets bitter cold there, more so than the Mid Atlantic or Lower Midwest. I grew up mainly in southwestern PA and the bordering northern WV areas so the winter weather, while still bad, isn't as extreme as the upper Midwest. I lived in Florida for several years and the warmth spoiled me. I never liked the cold to begin with and the Florida weather was perfect for me. I even enjoyed the humid days. The first winter back home was an eye opener.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:24 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Could've fooled me. I'm sure you're braving the elements in Bel Air, lol
try wearing long pants instead of skirts

Old 10-06-2016, 04:39 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Within a few years you will realize why most Northerners are clamoring to retire in Florida.
Not me. I'm headed up to the UP of Michigan area when I retire, probably by Marquette. High quality of life and few crowds, Lake Superior, and variety of amenities and milder compared to far northern Wisconsin at somewhat higher elevation. Yes, I have mostly Scandinavian ancestry and cold never phases me at all. I hate 75F+ temperatures with the brutal sun angle further south in the US, though.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-06-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
You don't need multiple layers of clothing, especially in states like RI, CT, MA, downstate NY, PA, etc, which technically get "cold" but are never truly "bitter" cold. In states like WI and MN, you might need to wear a sweater occasionally, but usually all you need is a good winter parka, some gloves/mittens , and a wool hat, and that's it. It much better than sweltering heat and humidity..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.