Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is SLC transit the Best
Yes 13 76.47%
No 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 05:26 PM

538 posts, read 653,157 times

Advertisements

By size, I mean 1-1.5 Million. I am hard-pressed to find another metro area in this range with better transit options. Maybe Hartford? Providence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 05:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,729,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
By size, I mean 1-1.5 Million. I am hard-pressed to find another metro area in this range with better transit options. Maybe Hartford? Providence?
Well let's see, SLC has a commuter rail, light rail, rapid bus transit, and normal bus transit. I think it's great but is it better than other similarly sized metros? I have no idea.

I think Utahns (U-tongs?) seem to care more about this because of SLC's MASSIVE inversions, which are made significantly worse because of pollution. Public transit brings down pollution.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,829,223 times
Yes, by far and away in my opinion.

https://www.rideuta.com/-/media/Ride..._RAIL_Map.ashx

The frontrunner goes from Provo to Ogden, which is basically the entire Wasatch Range. They also usually have buses waiting on the frontunner trains as opposed to many cities where they dont coordinate the time.

They also have commuter buses to Park City in the mountains.

I love the frontrunner trains, they are very clean, bathrooms, good and free wifi and comfortable seats.

The scenery is also some of the nicest in the country. Especially, in the winter time when one can go from cloudy, snow to sun all in one train ride.

They stop about every 3 to 5 miles also which is just perfect in my opinion.

The bus system in general is decent, but not that good in Salt Lake City.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:36 PM

97 posts, read 89,473 times
Rapid? yes. Mass? :cringe:

Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,073,714 times
I have never been, but my impression fwiw is that this is absolutely true for the US. I want to visit for this reason alone!

In Canada, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver can all be in the debate, pound for pound, and I might lean towards Vancouver or Calgary. I am not familiar with Mexico...

Last edited by JMT; 10-09-2016 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: North American cities only

Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Salt Lake has an excellent system in place, it even has neighborhood streetcars to trendy areas like Sugar House. I think the transit infrastructure will need more time for more residential and commercial infrastructure and density to grow around it. Right from its early beginnings SLC had wide avenues on large blocks, not really conducive to walkbility. The city and the metro area are very much built out to accommodate the automobile and it would take a good while or radical transformations for it to be a more truly walkable and transit conducive area. Though with the City Creek development downtown they are making strides to have a more lively downtown.

I say they should build a rail line from SLC Airport out to Park City, then Salt Lake would have a real edge on transit in North America with trains out to the ski resorts. I think SLC could pull off building such an entity more than Denver could.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-12-2016 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 12:02 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,729,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Salt Lake has an excellent system in place, it even has neighborhood streetcars to trendy areas like Sugar House. I think the transit infrastructure will need more time for more residential and commercial infrastructure and density to grow around it. Right from its early beginnings SLC had wide avenues on large blocks, not really conducive to walkbility. The city and the metro area are very much built out to accommodate the automobile and it would take a good while or radical transformations for it to be a more truly walkable and transit conducive area. Though with the City Creek development downtown they are making strides to have a more lively downtown.

I say they should build a rail line from SLC Airport out to Park City, then Salt Lake would have a real edge on transit in North America with trains out to the ski resorts. I think SLC could pull off building such an entity more than Denver could.
I read somewhere that they were planning to extend the public transit to Park City, I think a bus rapid transit during ski season. The route between them is very mountainous I believe, which will be hard with a rail system. Also I'm not experienced but I'm not sure if Park City is all that busy in the summer as it would be in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.