Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most underrated beauty
New York 26 22.03%
Wisconsin 7 5.93%
Minnesota 10 8.47%
Pennsylvania 12 10.17%
Texas 12 10.17%
New Mexico 19 16.10%
Georgia 10 8.47%
Virgina 13 11.02%
Missouri 6 5.08%
Louisiana 3 2.54%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not overrated, either. I think that most people have an understanding of the beauty of the three states you mentioned. Especially Michigan...I'll agree on that. The Driftless Region is probably underrated, as it is stunning. People probably don't have a clue. I'm not a big fan of the north woods....but I do love the hundreds of lakes. I also love Wisconsin's entire eastern border that is Lake Michigan...that's hard to beat. Every now and then, someone on this forum will say that Wisconsin is flat....couldn't be more far from the truth. That just tells me, that they've never been here.
I really don't think that's true. Ask any random non-Midwesterner what they think of Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan, and they'll tell you three things:
  • Flat
  • Cornfields
  • Frozen wasteland

Most Americans (particularly coastalites) just sincerely don't know any better because they aren't interested in American geography and/or aren't travelled enough to formulate an accurate perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:52 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I really don't think that's true. Ask any random non-Midwesterner what they think of Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan, and they'll tell you three things:
  • Flat
  • Cornfields
  • Frozen wasteland

Most Americans (particularly coastalites) just sincerely don't know any better because they aren't interested in American geography and/or aren't travelled enough to formulate an accurate perception.

As a Michigander who lived in the south for six years, I can tell you that Michigan = Detroit. Detroit = the worst place imaginable.

I always tried to tell people there is a LOT more to Michigan than Detroit and that Detroit wasn't what the media likes to force you to believe....

Old 06-19-2018, 12:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
  • Flat
  • Cornfields
  • Frozen wasteland

I have no solution to their ignorance. To that, I say, whatever, and consider the source.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
I don't believe Wisconsin should be in this poll....it's beauty is not underrated.
Travel more. Most people are completely ignorant of Wisconsin.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Travel more. Most people are completely ignorant of Wisconsin.
I've traveled plenty, and if people are ignorant, that's on them.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I've traveled plenty, and if people are ignorant, that's on them.
I suppose we're approaching the concept of under-rated differently, then.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:09 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
  • Flat
  • Cornfields
  • Frozen wasteland

Sincerely Agree.

My state's entire media image was formed by "Fargo" and some lesser known movies where the movies take place during winter and portray us all as goofy sounding, passive-aggressive wonks.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Sincerely Agree.

My state's entire media image was formed by "Fargo" and some lesser known movies where the movies take place during winter and portray us all as goofy sounding, passive-aggressive wonks.
Honestly I find that's true of most places. Peoples impressions about things they haven't experienced are formed by things they've seen, including fiction unfortunately. I have found that people on the interior of the country do the same thing to the coasts in reverse.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I work in seasonal outdoor recreation here in New Mexico, and my coworkers are mainly from here, Colorado, Utah, and the PNW.

Since our work is seasonal, and job/location hopping is the norm, we were talking about where we wanted to be next season. When I mentioned I wanted to be a backcountry guide in New York, the first comment I got was, "How do you find 'backcountry' in a city park?"

When I explained that I meant New York State, not City, another response was, "Yeah, but it still seems so crowded, can't you see all the skylines from all the cities?"

When I mentioned that Adirondack Park has over 3,000 lakes and 1,200 miles of rivers and is bigger than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined, I got blank stares.

I brought up some pics on my phone, and the response was that is was "pretty". Condescending west coast bastards! :-)

Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I work in seasonal outdoor recreation here in New Mexico, and my coworkers are mainly from here, Colorado, Utah, and the PNW.

Since our work is seasonal, and job/location hopping is the norm, we were talking about where we wanted to be next season. When I mentioned I wanted to be a backcountry guide in New York, the first comment I got was, "How do you find 'backcountry' in a city park?"

When I explained that I meant New York State, not City, another response was, "Yeah, but it still seems so crowded, can't you see all the skylines from all the cities?"

When I mentioned that Adirondack Park has over 3,000 lakes and 1,200 miles of rivers and is bigger than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined, I got blank stares.

I brought up some pics on my phone, and the response was that is was "pretty". Condescending west coast bastards! :-)
Similar to when I described where I was from back when I first moved to Louisiana. They spent over an hour trying to convince me that what I thought was "rural" didn't count because of all the cities I so clearly must have been a stone's throw from.

They acted like they knew NY better than I did despite none of them having ever been there save for flying to NYC.

And they say northerners make assumptions...

Ignorance is annoying but willful and prideful ignorance is infuriating.

The worst was when they said they didn't believe me when I described some of the poor conditions I grew up in. "You're from NY, there are no poor people in NY". Hate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.