Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
None. Their economies are based on the US dollar, US trade deals and the US military.
Some of the states used to have their own currency, New York for instance had the pound for a while (the New York pound) even after she became a state, so that is not a problem. In fact, it may even be an advantage - the Asian countries deliberately keep their currencies undervalued so it makes their exports cheaper. States like Michigan and Ohio if they were independent might want to do the same thing.

Speaking of which - Hmm, US trade deals by the Federal government have been a DISASTER for the United States.

Also, the US military spends its efforts defending and getting involved in other countries while our own borders lie open and unprotected and military bases are closed in the USA.

It might take a while but I say ALL the states will eventually want to leave if this continues!!!

Last edited by LINative; 10-12-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I thought this might be an interesting topic. I haven't found a thread similar to this, so I apologize if this has been brought up already.

Which states in the USA would have the most successful transition into becoming their own nation? I am not promoting this by any means, as I am a strong supporter of the "united we stand" concept. I am simply throwing out a hypothetical scenario to be discussed. So, if states started seceding from the union and adopted their own sovereignty (keeping current state borders intact), which states would have the most success and easiest transition into becoming independent nations?

Let's us my home state as an example:

West Virginia would certainly have a difficult time transitioning into a new nation. I believe that it would improve with time. WV depends a lot of the federal government now, but with a detachment from the federal government and its laws WV would likely become an energy state. Coal and natural gas would drive the economy, and WV would be more than able to protect its borders with skilled marksmen and a significant veteran population that would become leaders. The first few years would be rough, but I think things would stabilize. Somethings that would hinder the mountain state is a lack of access to the ocean to trade goods (which in this case would be coal and ng), having a small population, poverty levels, and a current weak economy. WV would probably change its name to something like Kanawha, Greenbrier, Appalachia, etc...

Other states might have an easier time simply because of their current economy and in place infrastructure. Some that come to mind are New York, Texas, California, Alaska, etc...
The big thing about West Virginia is they are landlocked and the question is whether they can negotiate trade access with coastal states. The obvious one would be Virginia but if Virginia gives West Virginia a hard time, then Maryland or even Pennsylvania could be options. There is even the possibility of Ohio, assuming Ohio itself can get access through Canada (or Ontario and Quebec if Canada breaks up too).

So the answer to your question is that coastal states all could be independent most easily, especially the larger ones.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:42 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Some of the states used to have their own currency, New York for instance had the pound for a while (the New York pound) even after she became a state, so that is not a problem. In fact, it may even be an advantage - the Asian countries deliberately keep their currencies undervalued so it makes their exports cheaper. States like Michigan and Ohio if they were independent might want to do the same thing.

Speaking of which - Hmm, US trade deals by the Federal government have been a DISASTER for the United States.

Also, the US military spends its efforts defending and getting involved in other countries while our own borders lie open and unprotected and military bases are closed in the USA.

It might take a while but I say ALL the states will eventually want to leave if this continues!!!
Great post. We spend unspeakable amounts of money on "defense" and awacs and reconnaissance and prism surveillance to scan and spy on foreign nations but we cant spot foreign terrorists from saudi arabia from taking flight lessons on our own soil to kill thousand of americans on 9/11 and tons of attacks here on our own soil from a pathetic open immigration policy.

Countless billions spent on defense and prism and awacs etc, and we cant protect our own borders and spot terrorists here!

We are always "liberating" Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc but so many of our our own cities are third world holes

Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you talking about independence or self-sufficiency? Because those are two different things. Extremely few countries could function as a closed loop economy, while a lot more can be independent. Even the United States couldn't without a serious rejiggering of its industrial base.

On the other hand, most of the states in this country could be independent states. After all, if places such as Belgium or Croatia or Mali can be independent states, why couldn't Idaho or Connecticut?
I agree completely. Actually, I think asking which state couldn't work as an independent country would be a better question with fewer results.

There is also no reason why states leaving to become independent countries couldn't continue to use the US dollar. El Salvador and Ecuador only use the US dollar.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:24 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Great post. We spend unspeakable amounts of money on "defense" and awacs and reconnaissance and prism surveillance to scan and spy on foreign nations but we cant spot foreign terrorists from saudi arabia from taking flight lessons on our own soil to kill thousand of americans on 9/11 and tons of attacks here on our own soil from a pathetic open immigration policy.

Countless billions spent on defense and prism and awacs etc, and we cant protect our own borders and spot terrorists here!

We are always "liberating" Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc but so many of our our own cities are third world holes
Lololololol.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:08 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
California

Texas

Florida

New York

Louisiana

Hawaii

Alaska

New Mexico

Old 10-13-2016, 06:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Hawaii and Alaska.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:52 AM

504 posts, read 616,035 times
Someone mentioned Massachusetts and another person said Maine, but I think if one of those states were to become independent from the USA the most likely situation is that all six New England states would become a single independent nation because of the strong cultural and economic ties between the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.