Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times

Advertisements

Roebling Suspension Bridge (OH/KY)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
I should have just named this thread "Most Beautiful Bridges in the United States". I initially created this thread so that I (along with fellow bridge lovers) could see new bridges. Excellent bridges so far, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Benjamin Franklin Bridge is #1???
Uh, no.

The two most beautiful bridges IMO are the Golden Gate and Brooklyn.
In my opinion, yes. The beauty is not only in how it seamlessly fits into the Philadelphia cityscape or how it crosses the wide, tidal Delaware River, but it is also in its design. The BFB is one of the few bridges in the United States that is truly multi-modal. From the bottom to the top, one will see almost every form of transit pass on it (except for trolleys). One can witness PATCO subway trains, cars, NJ Transit buses, pedestrians, and bicyclists passing one another all at the same time.

Also, the massive stone abutments, detailed engravings, towers, and even the color make it an amazing example of a suspension bridge. It also has the ability to light up according to different themes. The BFB is just an amazing example of American prosperity. Bridges similar to the BFB, Golden Gate, and Brooklyn Bridge just aren't constructed anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Tacoma narrows bridge looks cool, it's the worlds longest twin suspension bridge in the world.
Thank you for bringing back a great memory! I visited Seattle and Tacoma when I was a little boy in 2005 (age 10) and 2008 (age 12). I remember how beautiful that bridge was!

Also, the Delaware Memorial Bridge near Wilmington, DE and the Market Street Bridge over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia are also honorable mentions.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
No particular order:

Golden Gate
Royal Gorge
Brooklyn Bridge
Sunshine Skyway (way cool)
Bunker Hill
Coronado Bay

Sorry, more than 5.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:41 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
I surprised that you think of the Zakim as the best bridge in Boston, IMO its the Longfellow.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:50 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I agree with the OP about the Ben Franklin Bridge. But we part company on the Commodore Barry; my memory has it that it's nice enough looking, but there are many others that are prettier.

And as for the Brooklyn Bridge, I actually wouldn't name it among the most beautiful. Iconic, historic, vitally important, a technological breakthrough; it's all that and more. But not, IMO, the most beautiful.

Just thinking off the top of my head, I'd name these:

George Washington Bridge (NJ/NY)
Ben Franklin Bridge (PA/NJ)
Chesapeake Bay Bridge (MD) (Not so much for the bridge itself, but for its setting)
New River Bridge (WV)
Ravenel Bridge (SC)
Sunshine Skyway Bridge (FL)
Eads Bridge (MO/IL)
Mackinaw Bridge (MI)
Golden Gate Bridge (CA)

And that's just for starters. Yeah, I know, it's more than 5. But there are so many beautiful bridges to choose from!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Rather modest, but Bixby Bridge in Big Sur, CA should get an honorable mention for its setting alone.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:15 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Sunshine Skyway (still the world's longest bridge with a cable-stayed main span).
Golden Gate Bridge
Verrazano Narrows Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
Mackinac Bridge

Old 10-14-2016, 02:19 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Golden Gate and Brooklyn are obvious for #1 and #2

I love the color of golden gate and the scenery around it
The Brooklyn Bridge is beautiful in a different way. It's old, historic, and super majestic looking. But wow is it annoying to walk across! And don't even think about trying to ride your bike across!

I think the Manhattan bridge and Williamsburg bridge also deserve to be mentioned. I think the Manhattan bridge is a super pretty bridge. I love the blue color and the views from DUMBO. And how it perfectly frames the Empire State Buildiing in that over-instagrammed shot. (You know the one)

The Williamsburg bridge is beautiful in a different way. It's super gritty and covered in graffiti the whole entire way. I love that about it. And it's not nearly as touristy as Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridges. It's actually my favorite bridge for these reasons. Very fun to walk, bike, or skate across. This may not be most people's opinion of beautiful, but I love grittiness/graffiti art style. And I love the red color of the gates from the inside. And the views from the JMZ trains that go over this bridge. I feel like it's only a matter of time until this bridge gets "discovered" by tourists, with the recent growth and fame of Williamsburg.

The Queensboro bridge is also very beautiful, but not very fun to walk IMO.

Just missed my list: Ben Franklin bridge, Bay bridge, George Washington

Old 10-14-2016, 05:17 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge just west of Taos here in New Mexico has both a beautiful, simple structure and a magnificently beautiful natural setting:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...854b.image.jpg

http://highestbridges.com/wiki/image...orgeBridge.jpg

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...rge-bridge.jpg

Old 10-14-2016, 05:35 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, New Mexico
Featured in many movies....Natural Born Killers, Twins, etc

Rainbow Bridge, New York / Ontario
Spanning the Niagara River Gorge with views of the Falls.

Golden Gate Bridge, California
Built in 1937 ....next year it turns 80 !!

Straits of Mackinaw Bridge, Michigan
Huge, high and long, was even kinda scary crossing over it on a foggy day.

Tappan Zee Bridge, New York
Over the Hudson River, beautiful in fall, quite scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.