Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Upstate NY was very into Halloween and actually all holidays, lots of decorating. I was just talking to my brother in Pittsburgh today, he says it's really looking Halloween-y there these days. Same here in CO.

I wish there were more people in my area that decorated. I plan to make a haunted house in my garage and charge a dollar admission. Are there any cool spooky locales near you? (haunted houses, creepy areas with urban legends)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wish there were more people in my area that decorated. I plan to make a haunted house in my garage and charge a dollar admission. Are there any cool spooky locales near you? (haunted houses, creepy areas with urban legends)
No urban legends that I know of; you'd have to ask my kids. There were some back in the Pittsburgh area when I was a kid.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:29 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
my hometown of Midland,Texas is also very into Halloween.Certain neighborhoods are popular here as well for trick-or-treating and there are also lots of trunk-or-treats at local churches.I also love Halloween.
-WT
I lived in Abilene last summer and I miss it there. I lived in an area where there was a lot of families and kids played outside. I bet they get lots of trick-or-treaters too. We visited last December and there was snow on the ground and most houses had Christmas lights, was really beautiful. Sadly there's not as much of the holiday spirit here when it comes to decorating. (Probably those darn college kids lol)

Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 PM

151 posts, read 124,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't see how you can beat a New Orleans Halloween. I'm not even sure how New England came to be so strongly associated with the date. It's never been exclusively about witches or fall color.

Because New England is constantly jerked off and a media darling for whatever reason.

People act as if the only history or fall foliage that exists only exists in New England, when it's FAR from the only place.

I've been to Salem for Halloween. The Witch Museum was a MAJOR disappointment.

If I remember correctly, Halloween (the film) fictionally took place in Haddonfield, Illinois. Jason took place in Crystal Lake, which was fictionally in Upstate New York.

Philadelphia has a ton of haunted spots, and Pennsylvania in general is loaded. I grew up going there in the fall so my own personal experiences involve PA in general for this stuff.

Massachusetts is a tiny ****ing state but people act as if it's the only place that has anything. Its so annoying.

The Midwest has equal amounts of allure as the Northeast when it comes to Halloween. Fall colors and cold weather is the entire Northern US last I checked.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and Connecticut <<<that part of the country with historical n sometimes even haunted suburbs n cities and great fall foilage.
Bingo.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 PM

Why Philly Is a Great Place for Trick-or-Treating | News | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 10-15-2016, 09:56 PM

429 posts, read 479,016 times
Texas.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I don't know why it would be an advantage to be cold on Halloween. That rules out a LOT of costumes while trick or treating.

By the way, here in northeast Texas, the fall leaves are starting to turn and flutter to the ground. Temps for Halloween night should be in the low 60s. Awesome trick or treating weather!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know why it would be an advantage to be cold on Halloween. That rules out a LOT of costumes while trick or treating.

By the way, here in northeast Texas, the fall leaves are starting to turn and flutter to the ground. Temps for Halloween night should be in the low 60s. Awesome trick or treating weather!
It's not. Here in CO, you have to come up with a costume to fit over the ski jacket. One year my daughters' friend was "Barbie". Her mom wisely made the costume dress out of stretchy fabric. It was bitter cold Halloween night, she wore it over her ski jacket, looked like "Weight Watcher's Barbie".

Old 10-16-2016, 10:17 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It does rule out the "sexy" costumes, but some of the more detailed, layered choices almost require cooler weather. I recall a Oct. 31 in Texas when it was too warm for me to even wear my mask. Ideally it would be in 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.