Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I was a bit surprised to see Tel Aviv at number two due to its proximity to the Middle East along with the size of the Jewish population, though Toronto, London, and Montreal occupying the remainder of the top five doesn't seem nearly as surprising.
That surprised you? It would have been my first guess since Israel is the easiest (lowest qualification) foreign country for an American to get residency. All you need is to be Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Those Statcan stats are 5 years old and was not part of the census, but a separate National Household Survey done in May of 2011. It was sent to 4.5 Canadians only, and was not mandatory, but a voluntary survey. So??

"The National Household Survey (NHS) Profile provides information collected from the 2011 National Household Survey. The National Household Survey (May 2011) was a voluntary survey in which approximately 4.5 million households received a questionnaire"

"The report by the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) estimates that Canada’s third largest urban region is home to 183,155 eligible US voters, more than any other international city outside of the United States."

I'm trying to find the methodology of how they came to these numbers. Is it the amount of requests to vote in the US election they get from outside the US, or is it some other method.
I think I still trust Stats Canada more.

When someone claims that Vancouver is just under 10% American citizens and even less believable is Quebec City at 5% American citizens.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That surprised you? It would have been my first guess since Israel is the easiest (lowest qualification) foreign country for an American to get residency. All you need is to be Jewish.
Yea, I would have expected it to be near the top as well.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think I still trust Stats Canada more.

When someone claims that Vancouver is just under 10% American citizens and even less believable is Quebec City at 5% American citizens.
I get it, but you have to understand that those numbers are the people who are eligible to vote in the US.

A lot of them are dual citizens as well. I have in my close circle of friends at least 2 that fit into that category.
One who moved here as an adult, one who moved here with as a child.

As for Stats...I wonder if there is any place we can find how many of the 4.5 million actually answered since it was voluntary.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Vancouver is a great city, I had an American friend who lived there a couple years and loved it.

The top 5 cities don't suprise me at all. I'm a little surprised there are not more Americans living in Tornoto then they say.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:25 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Vancouver is a great city, I had an American friend who lived there a couple years and loved it.

The top 5 cities don't suprise me at all. I'm a little surprised there are not more Americans living in Tornoto then they say.
Well, Canada's national statistical agency Statistics Canada has totally different numbers. Which is why I think the OP article is flawed.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

Because it's really really expensive. You can find a much nicer location (better weather, mountains, oceans, etc.) in the US for less.

I'm a dual citizen and I'd only move to Canada if I landed a sick job in Vancouver. Otherwise there's much better to choose from down here.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, Canada's national statistical agency Statistics Canada has totally different numbers. Which is why I think the OP article is flawed.
Acajack. The National Household Survey was first done in 2011. It asked questions that USED to be on the long form Census. It only went to 4.5 million households. meaning the majority of households were excluded.
On their site they state that 2,657,461 out of the 4.5 million households responded.

This is from Statscan own site. They are trying to put a good face on bad data, it is written by Wayne R. Smith, who replaced chief statistician Munir Sheikh, who if you remember resigned because of Harper getting rid of the long form and warning of bad stats because of this. So it's no wonder Wayne R. Smith is putting lipstick on a pig.

"2011 Census results, lessons learned and going forward

Where does all this leave us? While the 2011 National Household Survey does not entirely rise to the data quality of the 2006 Census long form, the estimates that have been published are, nonetheless, robust and entirely usable. Where the data quality was judged insufficient, it was not published. Where issues of potential bias or lack of comparability with previous censuses were identified, they were communicated at the time of release of the information."

This type of survey to me may be good for some things, but not in really determining the amount of Americans living in Canada. At least with the number posted by Federal Voting Assistance Program from the US government shows how many Americans of eligible age to vote, are. I trust their numbers better than an old survey created by statistical hating Harper.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-26-2016 at 07:19 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 07:29 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
What about Mexico City? Its Wikipedia page cites articles from 2010 that says some estimates are as high as 700,000 American Expats living in Mexico City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City#Demographics

Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What I'm trying to figure out is why does Vancouver have more than twice as many as Toronto?
I have to wonder if Vancouver's film industry plays a role. Around 10% of "Hollywood" films are shot in Vancouver. Obviously the American actors would be numerically small, but if you add in the full production crews, you could easily get tens of thousands of Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.