Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2016, which one of these cities is the most Southern?
Dallas/Ft Worth 1 1.59%
Houston 9 14.29%
Atlanta 53 84.13%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times

Advertisements

While all of these cities are cosmopolitan and their Southern heritage is diluted due to the influx of transplants, which one has remained the most culturally Southern as of 2016?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 11:29 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
It's always been Atlanta and still is IMO.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:36 AM

345 posts, read 530,442 times
All these cities are southern, but for the most, Atlanta

Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
I still feel like Dallas and Houston are more "Texan" than can be just lumped in as southern cities. Obviously "Texan" culture has Southern roots/influences, but it's never been in lock step completely with the traditional south. Southern culture tends to be viewed by the mainstream as the colonial slave colonies, along with the deep south MS, AL, LA. Texas is more transitional between "the South", and Desert Southwest. I don't think they really even compare historically. Atlanta has always been located in the heart of the south. Grouping the cities in this way would appear that the OP has an impression that they were all very southern at one point. I don't think that's an impression shared by the majority. Dallas and Houston feel more "Sun-Beltish" than anything.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:55 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Atlanta is definitely the most southern of the three.

Houston is the next most Southern, yet the most international of the three.

DFW has Southern characteristics, but is a mix between, Southern, Great Plains, and Southwestern.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:36 PM

77 posts, read 76,432 times
Atlanta is the most "typically" Southern of these three cities, but Houston has the landscape most associated with the Deep South (i.e. live oaks with spanish moss).

Old 10-24-2016, 02:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

DFW has Southern characteristics, but is a mix between, Southern, Great Plains, and Southwestern.
^ This

Old 10-24-2016, 02:40 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

For the most part agree with this, however what is Great Plains culture? The Great Plains are split culturally between Oklahoma which is very Southern and Kansas northward which is more Midwestern.

I think Dallas itself isn't very Southern, mostly because of its cultural diversity. However, you don't have to go very far outside of Dallas proper in any direction and it does get more Southern, even within the Metroplex.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
For the most part agree with this, however what is Great Plains culture? The Great Plains are split culturally between Oklahoma which is very Southern and Kansas northward which is more Midwestern.

I think Dallas itself isn't very Southern, mostly because of its cultural diversity. However, you don't have to go very far outside of Dallas proper in any direction and it does get more Southern, even within the Metroplex.
Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are all culturally diverse. I don't think that negates being Southern or not though.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:58 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I still feel like Dallas and Houston are more "Texan" than can be just lumped in as southern cities. Obviously "Texan" culture has Southern roots/influences, but it's never been in lock step completely with the traditional south. Southern culture tends to be viewed by the mainstream as the colonial slave colonies, along with the deep south MS, AL, LA. Texas is more transitional between "the South", and Desert Southwest. I don't think they really even compare historically. Atlanta has always been located in the heart of the south. Grouping the cities in this way would appear that the OP has an impression that they were all very southern at one point. I don't think that's an impression shared by the majority. Dallas and Houston feel more "Sun-Beltish" than anything.
I agree with this...

Texas, of course is Southern if we're talking about location, that's definite. But outside of that, I don't think the major Texas cities are comparable to the others within MS, AL, LA, GA, and SC; I mean yeah, Southern culture is diverse in it's own right, but they're still not cohesive with the other cities within the South. I also think in terms of Afro-American culture, they're not really comparable in that category either, maybe Houston, but it's not significant historically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.