Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:11 PM

135 posts, read 93,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Whites can still control the local political machine in a majority Black town. I also see that the Democrat that won the election is the city's first Black mayor.
True
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 PM

79 posts, read 133,726 times
As a native Marylander I will say that the rural parts of Maryland (Eastern shore, far southern Maryland and Carroll county) are pretty southern. The vote republican drive pickup trucks and listen to country music. However most people who live in Maryland wouldn't call them selves southern. Oddly enough there's some people in southern PA and south Jersey who fight the stereotype of being a southerner. Some even fly the confederate flag. This may sound weird but I think the south doesn't officially begin until Fredricksburg Virginia but it also ends at Harrisburg PA (Or Camden New Jersey). Anything in between there is possibly southern but not absolutely southern, if that makes any sense.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
How many times can one say "culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern"?

MD changed, VA is changing now. Have at it, keep moving that line :-)

Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
How many times can one say "culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern"?

What Maryland changed? Baltimore hasn't changed.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore history: City's Southern roots are clear - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

Old 10-20-2016, 01:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Unfortunately.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 PM

135 posts, read 93,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MoltenCore View Post
As a native Marylander I will say that the rural parts of Maryland (Eastern shore, far southern Maryland and Carroll county) are pretty southern. The vote republican drive pickup trucks and listen to country music. However most people who live in Maryland wouldn't call them selves southern. Oddly enough there's some people in southern PA and south Jersey who fight the stereotype of being a southerner. Some even fly the confederate flag. This may sound weird but I think the south doesn't officially begin until Fredricksburg Virginia but it also ends at Harrisburg PA (Or Camden New Jersey). Anything in between there is possibly southern but not absolutely southern, if that makes any sense.
Lol is that your description of a southerner? I think it's fair to say a typical pick up truck riding, country music listening, and the republican mentality person are everywhere.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:24 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
i don't think confederate flag, country music listening and truck riding are linked to being Republican/conservative.

i've rarely seen confederate flags in SC in my 40 years. i see American flags everywhere, and the SC state flag.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

"Moving that line"? It's silly. Florida changed a long time ago; is it mid-Atlantic/Northern now?

The fact of the matter is that the definition of Southern is evolving and taking on new dimensions. The South won't cease to exist just because it is changing.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Moving that line"? It's silly. Florida changed a long time ago; is it mid-Atlantic/Northern now?

The fact of the matter is that the definition of Southern is evolving and taking on new dimensions. The South won't cease to exist just because it is changing.
EXACTLY

Ergo Maryland is still a southern state!

/thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.