Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

I think there was a somewhat similar topic kicking around, but I wasn't able to find it so I thought maybe starting one with a particular comparison in mind could be interesting.

Bridgeport (Chicago), the Mission District (San Francisco), and Sunset Park (NYC) have a lot of similar attributes.

- Diverse populations that are made up of mostly Hispanic, Asian, and White with much of the Hispanic population being mostly Mexican, the Asian population being mostly Chinese, and the White population a combination of people who have been in the neighborhood for a long while and new transplants or people looking for a convenient neighborhood that's affordable and were generally fairly working to middle class.

- Similar rapid transit services to main job centers with Bridgeport being access to the Loop, the Mission access to downtown San Francisco and Sunset Park with access to the Manhattan Financial District and downtown Brooklyn

- Dense, walkable neighborhoods where much of the day to day necessities/amenities are in easy reach.

- The factors above combined have made these neighborhoods particularly attractive to new residents who are looking for cheaper alternatives to more ritzy neighborhoods and have attracted a large amount of artists and younger new residents.

- Fairly large premiere neighborhood parks with Palmisano Park/McGuane Park in Bridgeport, Mission Dolores Park in the Mission district, and Sunset Park in Sunset Park. Each of these parks also feature an elevated topography that give views of the downtown for their respective cities.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-18-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Sunset Park's white population is small, mostly younger whites looking for cheaper rent who tend not to stay long-term; it feels like a hispanic/asian neighborhood that has a few white people mixed in. Mission District always had a white population in its western part and has become hip it's not really an affordable alternative, a certain type of San Francisco transplant seeks it out on purpose

Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Bridgeport is not like the Mission. Although Bridgeport has seen young urban transplants/hipsters, etc. its really the only neighborhood that close to the loop that still has that white working class vibe.

Mission in SF Chicago counterpart would likely be Wicker Park, maybe Logan Square, maybe even Pilsen.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sunset Park's white population is small, mostly younger whites looking for cheaper rent who tend not to stay long-term; it feels like a hispanic/asian neighborhood that has a few white people mixed in. Mission District always had a white population in its western part and has become hip it's not really an affordable alternative, a certain type of San Francisco transplant seeks it out on purpose
That's changed a lot more in the last several years because Sunset Park has decent schools and the neighborhoods just up above closer to Manhattan have gotten exorbitantly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Bridgeport is not like the Mission. Although Bridgeport has seen young urban transplants/hipsters, etc. its really the only neighborhood that close to the loop that still has that white working class vibe.

Mission in SF Chicago counterpart would likely be Wicker Park, maybe Logan Square, maybe even Pilsen.
Logan Square is probably the closer analogue of the ones you've listed, but not that close. Those neighborhoods you listed don't have the growth of Asian (mostly Chinese descent) population that Bridgeport and the Mission have. Also, I like the park with a view connection. Maybe a bit too much so.

I get that there are differences among them and nothing's going to be spot on.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-18-2016 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Interesting thread, I wish I could have been to all 3 to compare.

I've only been to Sunset Park and I would totally live there.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 PM

Here's another one: analogues of the "downtowns" of Manhattan.

Financial District in Manhattan
| downtown Boston

The two both have narrow and often winding streets that are lined with skyscrapers and historic buildings and with small parks that break it up. They both also have a strong interplay with their respective harbors with several wharves, waterside parks, and also runs ferry services. They both also have some of the longest and earliest European settlement histories of anywhere in the US.

Midtown Manhattan | the Loop in Chicago

Massive skyscrapers home to many organizations and corporate headquarters set in a rectangular grid with a major known park abutting that. There are also major performance and arts venues parts of this and have also increasingly become residential and also have a large number of hotels.

That region between (and somewhat overlapping) that Financial District downtown Manhattan and Midtown Manhattan | Center City Philadelphia

These are areas made up of often a mix of smaller streets and larger avenues that are in a somewhat regular patterns. The streets in this area are a broad mix of historic and modern and of three-to-five story historic buildings, historic mid-rise buildings, and taller skyscrapers in parts. These are both a much greater mix of smaller local shops with corporate offices and residences of all kinds.

Basically, these parts of Manhattan are a bit like having pumped up versions of these downtowns each abutting and overlapping the other.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Yeah, I tend to think the Mission is a little too hipster/gentrified at this point to match up with the other two. Doesn't Mark Zuckerberg have a house there? Seems a little more analagous to Williamsburg/WickerPark/LES than the other two wich still seem to be a little more "off the beaten path" for the toursit/hipster yuppie crowds.

Maybe somewhere a little further out or over in Oakland like Fruitville would be a closer analogy. Outside these cities, I could also see East Boston being a little like Sunset Park/Bridgeport.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I tend to think the Mission is a little too hipster/gentrified at this point to match up with the other two. Doesn't Mark Zuckerberg have a house there? Seems a little more analagous to Williamsburg/WickerPark/LES than the other two wich still seem to be a little more "off the beaten path" for the toursit/hipster yuppie crowds.

Maybe somewhere a little further out or over in Oakland like Fruitville would be a closer analogy. Outside these cities, I could also see East Boston being a little like Sunset Park/Bridgeport.
Are you familiar with Bushwick by any chance? That's the hottest hipster neighborhood in New York right now in my opinion, and I would say it's "off the beaten path" for tourists.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are you familiar with Bushwick by any chance? That's the hottest hipster neighborhood in New York right now in my opinion, and I would say it's "off the beaten path" for tourists.
It was off the beaten path, but now you see tourists pretty often and hear a pretty good smattering of French, German and Japanese on the streets.

It's still pretty ugly, but now it's fancy ugly.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM

I think throwing in Westlake in Los Angeles also makes sense, though maybe Koreatown is more analogous. Koreatown is named after all the Korean businesses, but the area actually has more hispanic residents than asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.