Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 691 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working on my PhD (within the social sciences) and am hoping to move within the next few years. I want to move some place where I can get a job at a college or in industry (conducting research). I would love to stay in New York, but I know I have to keep my options open because the housing market is insane here. I am interested in moving to New England, most likely Massachusetts (thinking Cambridge or Boston) or Vermont (maybe Burlington or Essex).

I would really appreciate any advice on best areas to move to in New England in terms of:

1) job opportunities
2) housing (~200-350k)
3) low crime rates
4) walkable community
5) good schools

I want to emphasize that I would really like to stay within an area that's at least decently walkable. As a New Yorker, I am all too accustomed to being able to walk to a grocery store for basic essentials and I'm not totally ready to give up that privilege. When I say decently walkable I would like amenities within around a mile radius. I don't know how realistic that is for New England, but I'm hoping people can give me some insight into this.

I know that my list is all speaking in ideal terms, but any information people can provide will be extremely helpful! Thank you all in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 05:33 AM

9,927 posts, read 15,500,454 times
Boston is very expensive. You won't be able to find something that meets your other requirements with that budget.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 AM

92,159 posts, read 122,387,927 times
What about looking into Albany? I know it is in NY State, but it has communities that fit what you are looking for in its metro area. Scotia, Delmar, Ballston Spa and maybe parts of Old Niskayuna near the Upper Union Street business district of Schenectady are some areas to look into in regards to what you are looking for.

I dare say that the other bigger and even smaller Upstate NY metros may work as well. I say that due to the amount of colleges and universities, as well as having walkable villages in good school districts. For instance, in the Syracuse area, the villages of Fayetteville and Manlius are walkable villages in the very good Fayetteville-Manlius SD. In the Rochester area, the 12 Corners area of Brighton and the village of Pittsford are a couple of places that come to mind. Even in the Utica-Rome area, you have villages like New Hartford and Clinton that would/could work. In the Buffalo area, Williamsville, Lancaster, Orchard Park and Hamburg come to mind. Ithaca is another place that would fit. There others as well. So, there are options further north within the state of NY.

I dare say that Brighton may have the right mix with close proximity to Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Rochester, Nazareth College and St. John Fisher College, as well as to the popular SE Quadrant of the city of Rochester. It also has a decent/visible amount of cultural diversity(about 13% Asian, center of local Jewish community and a visible Black population). Ithaca would also work for similar reasons, except for being a standalone city/area.

Also, if you like Vermont, I'd look across Lake Champlain at Plattsburgh, which has a 4 year SUNY campus and Clinton Community College. It is more affordable than Burlington and you can take a ferry over to Burlington as well. It is only an hour or so south of Montreal too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-19-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,861,075 times
Check out small towns with small colleges. Towns with private colleges tend to be the best. They are extremely walkable, safe, and kept up well. Schools are generally the best in the county. Lots of restaurants, community activities, and shopping choices all within a short walk or drive (under 5 min). The main street is lively and not boarded up like most small towns.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 AM

92,159 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Check out small towns with small colleges. Towns with private colleges tend to be the best. They are extremely walkable, safe, and kept up well. Schools are generally the best in the county. Lots of restaurants, community activities, and shopping choices all within a short walk or drive (under 5 min). The main street is lively and not boarded up like most small towns.
It may be a matter of how small the OP wants to go, especially considering that he/she is coming from Brooklyn. A happy medium could be a small town with a college near a bigger city. A place like Brockport west of Rochester may work: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2160...7i13312!8i6656 (SUNY-Brockport is just further south and is in the SW corner of the village)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.