Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is South Jersey more similar to?
Delaware 26 83.87%
North Jersey 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 PM

184 posts, read 235,322 times

Advertisements

Well for one most of SW NJ has alot in common with New Castle County, because of both being in the Philly metropolitan area. Camden literally feels like a more Puerto Rican Wilmington. Vineland feels like Dover, again a more Hispanic version lol. The southern Jersey shore reminds me of the Delaware beaches, with more blacks and hispanics particularly around Atlantic City. Another thing is, North Jersey is very diverse, due to NYC influence and proximity, South Jersey on the other hand outside of a few relatively diverse Philly suburbs or mexican dominated farm communities, its mostly Italians on the shore, blacks n Ricans in the hood, and very scattered small numbers of other Hispanics, West Indians, and Asians, in that sense its demographically more like Delaware, and more culturally so as well due to both having strong Philly influence. Aside from the northern Jersey shore and the Trenton area (which is technically the transition zone from north n south), in most of South Jersey I see more similarities with Delaware. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 06:52 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I don't have a lot of experience with Delaware, but to me, Camden feels more like a smaller Newark than a Jersey iteration of Wilmington; Wilmington doesn't give off the post-industrial vibe that Camden and Newark do. South Jersey, south of Camden and Cherry Hill, is very agricultural and I'm not sure if there are comparable areas in north Jersey. It's probably more like Delaware in that sense. Not too sure about the shore.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
We're definitely more like Delaware than North Jersey in most ways. Culturally, linguistically (both Midland dialect area), etc. But one interesting thing you touched on is demographics.

Demographically, it is in between, in a sense. South Jersey is probably more Italian than North Jersey, per capita, these days. So in that way, less like Delaware & more like North Jersey. The ratio of "ethnic whites" (primarily Italians) to total whites makes South Jersey more like North Jersey and the rest of the Northeast (minus Northern New England) than Delaware. Salem County is probably the sole exception for a comparably low (for NJ) ratio of "ethnic whites" to the total white population. Even Cumberland County is different in this respect, and Gloucester County most definitely is. Nevertheless, this ratio is elevated in Salem County compared to further south.

Demographically, in contrast to the above, one thing that makes South Jersey a lot more like Delaware and a lot less like North Jersey is the much larger presence of small-town & rural blacks who have lived in these locations at least for multiple generations. That's a lot more characteristic of the South (plus Delaware), and not the Northeast, where the black population is primarily urban.

Last edited by snj90; 10-22-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 01:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Delawarean here. I'd say we're more like South Jersey than North, but the differences, besides population numbers, aren't massive, as amirite suggests. We have a lot of Italians and ethnic whites, whatever that means. In fact, I think all three areas have the same demographics in regards to blacks, whites and Latinos, with North Jersey just being far more cosmopolitan and diverse with other groups.

Wilmington doesn't feel like Camden at all to me. Sure, they're about the same size in population and have notable crime problems, but Wilmington has a business presence that Camden lacks. Wilmington is much more prominent and important to its state, and has wealth that Camden does not.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Delawarean here. I'd say we're more like South Jersey than North, but the differences, besides population numbers, aren't massive, as amirite suggests. We have a lot of Italians and ethnic whites, whatever that means. In fact, I think all three areas have the same demographics in regards to blacks, whites and Latinos, with North Jersey just being far more cosmopolitan and diverse with other groups.
I wouldn't really say so. New Castle County, DE is the most Italian of Delaware's 3 counties. But even Salem County, NJ has a higher per capita Italian-American population than New Castle County. (12.2% compared to 11.4% as per the 2000 census.) Kent & Sussex Counties in Delaware both have around 5%. Italian-Americans are quite numerous throughout NJ, to parts of eastern PA, into NY, CT, & RI. New Castle County has some spillover in Italian-American demographics from the adjacent regions of PA & NJ. But on the whole, the state is notably less Italian than New Jersey, including South Jersey, so more similar to Maryland & Virginia in that respect.

But aside from that, Delaware & South Jersey are a lot more alike than South Jersey & North Jersey.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I wouldn't really say so. New Castle County, DE is the most Italian of Delaware's 3 counties. But even Salem County, NJ has a higher per capita Italian-American population than New Castle County. (12.2% compared to 11.4% as per the 2000 census.) Kent & Sussex Counties in Delaware both have around 5%. Italian-Americans are quite numerous throughout NJ, to parts of eastern PA, into NY, CT, & RI. New Castle County has some spillover in Italian-American demographics from the adjacent regions of PA & NJ. But on the whole, the state is notably less Italian than New Jersey, including South Jersey, so more similar to Maryland & Virginia in that respect.

But aside from that, Delaware & South Jersey are a lot more alike than South Jersey & North Jersey.
On a percentage basis, every state besides Rhode Island and Connecticut is notably less Italian than NJ, including NY and PA. Delaware is the 8th most Italian state in the nation, and is far more Italian on a per capita basis then MD or VA. Much closer to the Northeast than the other two, as about one in ten Delawareans is Italian. After Delaware, it's a big drop off, so you're essentially splitting hairs among the Northeast states as to who is more Italian.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
On a percentage basis, every state besides Rhode Island and Connecticut is notably less Italian than NJ, including NY and PA. Delaware is the 8th most Italian state in the nation, and is far more Italian on a per capita basis then MD or VA. Much closer to the Northeast than the other two, as about one in ten Delawareans is Italian. After Delaware, it's a big drop off, so you're essentially splitting hairs among the Northeast states as to who is more Italian.
Yes, Delaware qualifies as considerably more Italian-American than average. However, this is still one factor that puts South Jersey more in the company of North Jersey, since there is more of a discontinuity or drop-off in Italian-American population as you move from South Jersey to Delaware, which becomes even more pronounced if you go south of New Castle County. New Castle County is more like southeastern PA & (to a slightly lesser extent) South Jersey in terms of Italian-American demographics. However, Kent & Sussex counties are more like Maryland & Virginia in this respect. One in ten Delawareans may have Italian heritage, but the figure is closer to one in five for South Jersey.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Everyone has made good points thus far. I voted Delaware simply because of the lack of pace and development in South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.