Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.61%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.55%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 49 19.84%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,411,692 times

Advertisements

I like Saint Louis quite a bit (great COL, hometown, good beer culture, good weather for the most part), but I'm ready for something new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,860,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Born and raised in Philadelphia metro. Then moved to DC region for 22 years. After living in two large metro regions, my husband go transferred to North Carolina. I was excited for the warmer weather and less traffic, but I didn't realize how much I would miss living near a big city.

Raleigh/Durham just doesn't cut it. No public transportation (except limited buses), no world-class museums, no large, walkable downtown where you can just spend the whole day wandering around discovering nooks and crannies you've never seen before, no great tourist sites, no ethnic enclaves, very little interesting architecture. In some ways I feel like I've gone back in time about 10 years. People here are excited about fibre for internet - had it 8+ years ago in DC. People here are looking forward to Wegmans - had it 10+ years ago in DC. People here want IKEA - had it for 20+ years in DC. People here want rail - commuted by it for several years in DC. It's hard for me to get excited about things I had where I used to live that are now just reaching (or aren't coming any time soon) to this metro.
(To be fair most of the people who are excited about that are transplants who missed it when they moved and now are happy to see its coming here, similarly to how people from Florida were super excited about the publix, the excitement isn't over already having one where they used to live but it being in the place they live now, and in regards to Ikea, they only build but so many stores(same thing with wegmans), it's been in Charlotte for years, folks just want one closer similarly to how people from other cities might want it closer)

To me, Raleigh/Durham is a small to mid-size metro that is safe with a relatively low-cost of living and a decent amount of jobs. That makes it appealing to many transplants. However, it cannot compete with cities in the big leagues as far as attractions, entertainment, shopping, major league sports, public transportation, character, etc. I can't wait to move back to a bigger city.
Well, I like it here, then again I can get down any where as long as there is a good mix of a decent sized city and naturey places around me to go and do outdoor stuff and have a decent downtown to hang out at.

Moved to Cary like 2 years ago.

Pros: The triangle area in general is growing not just in population but in developments and amenities, cultural and food offerings etc. Downtown Raleigh and Downtown Durham both have tons of developments under construction or in the works. Cary is centrally located and I like being able to pick and choose, what I'm going to do, go hiking in over 5K acre William B Umstead Park, go eat at new spot in downtown Raleigh, or in Chapel Hill or Carrboro, catch a bulls game and try a new spot in downtown Durham, etc etc. It's not a big city but people have choices and there is growth, jobs, diversity, and cool people. Also like and appreciate the greenway system, if you like biking you can get miles and miles and tons of neighborhoods are connected to the greenway system(especially in Cary)

Cons: The benefit of larger cities and more urban cities to me is that they have more things open at later hours, you get hungry at 2, well you better either drive to a gas station, Harris Teeter(the only grocery store that is 24 hours in this neck of the woods) or get in the kitchen and make something. Also politics and public transit.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:37 PM

97 posts, read 121,967 times
Austin TX. Moved here from Charlotte. Charlotte is backwards and southern. People there are mean and the food sucks. It also has lots of thugs and the politics suck. Typical southern city

Austin is a west coast city and extremely progressive. The people here are amazing and we're booming. The food here beats every other city in the country. I also think Austin is the prettiest city in the US also. What other cities have a Lake Travis? What other city has rolling hills, lakes, rivers, and beauty? Not a city I could name. Austin is City of Music, we have most of the best musicians in the country. I don't feel uncomfortable being weird and different, unlike in Charlotte. keep Austin weird is our slogan. There's a reason why so many people are calling Austin the best city in the world.

Come visit and you'll see why Austin is amazing.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:10 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Austin TX. Moved here from Charlotte. Charlotte is backwards and southern. People there are mean and the food sucks. It also has lots of thugs and the politics suck. Typical southern city

Austin is a west coast city and extremely progressive. The people here are amazing and we're booming. The food here beats every other city in the country. I also think Austin is the prettiest city in the US also. What other cities have a Lake Travis? What other city has rolling hills, lakes, rivers, and beauty? Not a city I could name. Austin is City of Music, we have most of the best musicians in the country. I don't feel uncomfortable being weird and different, unlike in Charlotte. keep Austin weird is our slogan. There's a reason why so many people are calling Austin the best city in the world.

I've been to Austin... most disappointing and overhyped place. West coast city? It doesn't have a coastline let alone be on a west coast state! Austin is a southern city in a southern state.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,741,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I've been to Austin... most disappointing and overhyped place. West coast city? It doesn't have a coastline let alone be on a west coast state! Austin is a southern city in a southern state.
Austin has some of the attitude of the Pacific Northwest though. It's hip, weird, and funky and is probably one of the top 3 most desirable cities for Millennials, along with Portland and Seattle.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,382,821 times
NJ is better than some people give it credit for. My part is nice enough. But there are reasons for me to prefer other states. I don't like the hot summers here. Ocean temperatures here aren't warm enough for my liking. I'd be happier in the Carolinas & south. I'd be happier with the winters of places north of here.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Austin has some of the attitude of the Pacific Northwest though. It's hip, weird, and funky and is probably one of the top 3 most desirable cities for Millennials, along with Portland and Seattle.
That doesn't make it west coast.. I didn't see any of that when I was in Austin. I did see some drug dealin' though. Hows that for "funky"? Lol No native Texan or Austinite will call it "a west coast city." People who call it "west coast city" are the people who have some prejudice towards the rest of Texas and the South and sooo wish that Austin was in California. Well it ain't.

I just messaged my SO, a true blue Texan who is convinced that some part of his family has been in Texas since before white people even arrived (maybe some Apache blood?) what he'd think of someone said "Austin is a west coast city." His reaction.. "Umm.. its not."

People underestimate just how TEXAS Austin really is, when you look past the hipster and yuppie transplants. There's nothing "west coast" about Longhorn country!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,337,071 times
I have only been in my current city since July, but I very much love it. Let me recap. Tampa > Los Angeles > Sydney, Australia > Raleigh > NYC

Born and raised in Tampa, but never lived there as an adult. Spent enough time visiting family over recent years to know I wouldn't want to. Although I have only lived in NYC since July, I spent a total of 7 months here as a visitor over the years...so I was already familiar with the city. It's definitely for me.

I do want to own property, and was going to do so in Raleigh. But for now, having a great job (which I started when I moved to NYC) and living in a great city override that. Maybe one day. But I do absolutely love where I live.

Minneapolis is a city I've flirted with over the years, I guess that would be the only other place in this country I'd want to lay down roots in. But my intention is to make NYC permanent.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:50 PM

345 posts, read 526,437 times
Quote:

Austin, west coast?? wtf. Austin isn't even western, its southern mixed with a bit of texan and western influence, but overall its southern, just like most of texas east of US 83.

Austin isn't that progressive...just cause some transgender ran for mayor doesn't make it progressive. Progressive for texas? Yeah. Anywhere else, nope.

The people...eh thats subjective. I find Austin very pretentious and pompous , not for me.

You're delusional. Austin is the best food city in the country? lol.

You said prettiest city too? lol.

"What other cities have a Lake Travis? What other city has rolling hills, lakes, rivers, and beauty? Not a city I could name."

Nashville...Pittsburgh...Charlotte...Atlanta...SF. ...Seattle...just cities that came up in my head right now. You're crazy lol...

Pretty sure Nashville is Music city lol.. and best musicians in the county??? yeah hipsters that play crappy indie music in their garage all day makes Austin have the best musicians in the country...lol..

Who said Austin is the best city in the world???

The homerism is strong with this one...

Old 10-25-2016, 06:20 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,428,594 times
Quote:

lol. Been to Austin. Extremely overrated, IMO. Just by your extreme, inaccurate takes on Austin and Charlotte, it sounds like you have a personal ax to grind rather than anything based in reality. Austin does have its merits. Is in the pretty hill country and has a strong economy. Outside of that and the fact that they have some clubs/music, not much else compared to other metro areas with 1 mil+. Charlotte is the polar opposite of what you described. Everyone can find their niche' if their cool with others. I realize each person has their own things they look for in an area. What resonates with me might not with you. Neither is "wrong".But it's hard to view your critique as credible when you allow your personal biases and lack of tolerance to dictate your opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.