Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:35 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
What place has months of sub zero weather?
Utqiaġvik (Barrow), Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
People often think Minnesota and the Dakotas have months of super cold weather. It's actually not true at all. Most temps in the cold winter months are from 10-35.

In January 2016, most highs in Sioux Falls, SD were around 30 degrees. That's probably cold for a lot of people, but as long as the wind isn't blowing, it's great for me.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
What do you think of the Northwest? (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska)
Generally like it. Wyoming is too windy, Oregon and Washington too cloudy and drizzly (the western 1/3), certainly you can get some severe weather in Montana and North Idaho (never been to Alaska) but overall the mountain west is so beautiful, the clouds, wind, rain and snow for the winter months bring forth some stunning spring, summer and fall days to take it all in. And the winters, when well prepared and dressed properly for, can be a Sportsman's paradise.

My favorite is normal, (not this severe years-long drought) Northern California weather- Sierra foothills (where I grew up) or Sonoma wine country weather. Waves of wet winter storms every couple of weeks with occasional snow in the foothills (tons of it in the mountains) and then always several sunny days with puffy clouds between the storms deep into winter. Gorgeous Ireland green spring with full streams, waterfalls and lakes. Hot summer days with the landscape turning a beautiful tawny golden, and cool summer nights. Generally toasty Fall days- the peak of the dry season- and then the autumn rains which turns everything green again for our second spring in November and December.

It's too dry here in San Diego, but it's so damn mild, very little heat and humidity that I just pray for El Niños every year and 20" of beautiful rain. It's very hard to complain with open windows and no air conditioning or heat year round and being able to plan an outdoor activity, anytime.

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-01-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I exaggerate- weeks. From the Dakotas east to New England. Maybe I should say where periods of sub-zero weather is not uncommon during the winter months.

I actually love to vacation in Lakes district Maine in February, stays below zero for most of the time I've ever been. Knowing I can go home makes it easy to tolerate.

Heck, even Lake Tahoe gets well below freezing and in the single digits for days at a time. during a regular (perhaps now only in the past) winter.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:01 PM

79 posts, read 133,829 times
Places with SEVERE temperature extremes from Winter to Summer. Such as Omaha Nebraska.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:13 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I exaggerate- weeks. From the Dakotas east to New England. Maybe I should say where periods of sub-zero weather is not uncommon during the winter months.

I actually love to vacation in Lakes district Maine in February, stays below zero for most of the time I've ever been. Knowing I can go home makes it easy to tolerate.

Heck, even Lake Tahoe gets well below freezing and in the single digits for days at a time. during a regular (perhaps now only in the past) winter.
Do you mean below freezing (not below zero)? Cause in the lower 48 it rarely is below zero for a high for stretches at a time.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Do you mean below freezing (not below zero)? Cause in the lower 48 it rarely is below zero for a high for stretches at a time.
I don't doubt that statistic, but as I said I've been in Maine several times and the daytime temps hovered in the low single digits for the entire week I was there, near enough to zero.

Anything colder than 15° F is pretty much you are gonna die if you don't have shelter or are carefully clothed if exposed to it for too long. At least with today's great clothing choices and technology, it's not that difficult, especially when doing a sporty activity, to stay reasonably comfortable. As for Florida/D.C. (the whole region) humidity in the summer is utterly miserable, and inescapable.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:58 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MoltenCore View Post
Places with SEVERE temperature extremes from Winter to Summer. Such as Omaha Nebraska.
Nebraska does have some pretty awful weather when you really think about it. There are certain times of the year when Nebraska has the hottest temperatures in the US. There are also times when it has the coldest temps. Luckily none of these temperatures stick around for very long. It would be rare to see 100 degree or negative temps stick around for much longer than a few days at a time.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Nebraska does have some pretty awful weather when you really think about it. There are certain times of the year when Nebraska has the hottest temperatures in the US. There are also times when it has the coldest temps. Luckily none of these temperatures stick around for very long. It would be rare to see 100 degree or negative temps stick around for much longer than a few days at a time.
I do miss the nearly nightly bold thunderstorms, or at least something that skirted the horizon that rolled through on summer nights in the Sand Hills of western Nebraska on the family farm outside of Gothenburg. Sitting on the front porch overlooking the seemingly never ending Prairie and vast horizon with the dance of exploding clouds and crashing thunder after another hard day of farm work was the best thing! We so rarely get lighting here it is a rare and very brief treat every few years.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
People often think Minnesota and the Dakotas have months of super cold weather. It's actually not true at all. Most temps in the cold winter months are from 10-35.

In January 2016, most highs in Sioux Falls, SD were around 30 degrees. That's probably cold for a lot of people, but as long as the wind isn't blowing, it's great for me.
I would examine January 2015 or January 2014 for Sioux Falls, last Winter was ridiculously warm overall and wouldn't be a good month to use as a benchmark there. West River, western South Dakota, sees a moderating chinook wind during Winter- Rapid City is known as the "banana belt" climate region of the state for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.