Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MoltenCore View Post
I've often wondered about what the most politically diverse regions in the country are. I live in Maryland, we have Anne Arundel county which is very politically diverse. But it is in a solidly blue state. Are there any 50/50 counties in border states like Ohio, Florida or North Carolina?
I think that you can easily find fairly balanced counties in the small group of contentious purple states. However, you might want to qualify it further with a specific population requirement. I think it would be much more interesting to find a highly populated county in one of these states that closely matches the political balance of the state itself.

In NC, New Hanover (Wilmington) is the largest county that most closely matches the state's presidential election result, but it's only a county of about 225,000. That county's spread for Trump was +4.1 pts while NC was Trump +3.8. The next closest sizable county was Forsyth (Winston-Salem) and that one was Clinton +10 pts. It has about 375,000 people. The three largest counties in the state were all Clinton +20 pts or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 06:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
In Massachusetts, the Boston area is very Liberal and the Connecticut River Valley is very liberal. But Worcester County and I think Bristol and Plymouth Counties are 50/50

Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Not in terms of being purple, but in having a wide spectrum of beliefs represented, I'd imagine King County, WA is up there. Seattle is one of the most, if not the most progressive major cities in the country these days, but its metro area mainly sprawls north/south/southwest and not very far east, so there's a pretty geographically large rural section of the county. And rural central/eastern Washington and Oregon are known for being reactionary and gun-loving (think of the Bundy standoff).

Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
I once heard that presidential election outcomes are often determined by white females who reside in the Interstate 4 corridor of Central Florida, which is a "swing region" located in a "swing state." Accordingly, I presume that Orange County, FL (home to Orlando) and Hillsborough County, FL (home to Tampa) are among the most politically diverse counties in one of the most politically diverse states.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:29 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I once heard that presidential election outcomes are often determined by white females who reside in the Interstate 4 corridor of Central Florida, which is a "swing region" located in a "swing state." Accordingly, I presume that Orange County, FL (home to Orlando) and Hillsborough County, FL (home to Tampa) are among the most politically diverse counties in one of the most politically diverse states.
Central Florida is certainly a politically diverse and pretty balanced region, but some of its counties are rather skewed to one side. Orange County voted about 60% Clinton/35% Trump, so it is not even remotely typical of Florida and the nation. Unlike many other parts of Florida, Orange is more of a destination for young adults than retirees, and it is very culturally diverse, so the demographics line up much better for the Democratic party.

As my post from last year stated, Pinellas County (St. Petersburg/Clearwater area) is more of a bellwether, voting 48% Trump/47% Clinton. In 2018 Pinellas voted for the Democratic governor and senate candidates who barely lost statewide, so it isn't locked down for either party.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:24 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Florida: Pinellas County, aka Saint Petersburg
Michigan: Kent County, aka Grand Rapids
Ohio: Hamilton County, aka Cincinnati and inner suburbs
Pennsylvania: Bucks County

Old 05-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
In Massachusetts, the Boston area is very Liberal and the Connecticut River Valley is very liberal. But Worcester County and I think Bristol and Plymouth Counties are 50/50
All three are blue. The GOP hasn't won Plymouth or Worcester since 1988, and Bristol hasn't gone to the Republican presidential candidate since 1956!

Hillary won Worcester by double digits, Bristol by nearly ten percent, and Plymouth by 8 percent. Bristol County is trending GOP though. The others are trending Dem.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Andrew Gillum won Hillsborough by 9 percent and Orange by 25 percent. So Tampa is lean Blue and Orlando is solid Blue.

Tampa is swingy as a region though because Pasco, Hernando, Polk, Sarasota and Manatee all vote GOP, cancelling out the Tampa vote.

Orlando is not firmly lean Dem as region since Seminole and Osceola, two suburban counties, are also blue now. At the same time, the Space Coast and Daytona area are strongly red now, which eats into the Orlando base.

And then you have Ocala, The Villages, and Palm Bay just to the north of the Interstate 4 corridor padding the GOP margins.

So Florida elections is basically the corridor's light blue hue being cancelled out by Ocala/The Village, etc., and then the Redneck Riviera + Jacksonville + SW Florida trying to outvote Miami.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 PM

313 posts, read 212,678 times
No one mentioned Queens NY?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:45 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Orange County, CA it has over 3+ million residents so it actually matters as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.