Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:04 PM

628 posts, read 814,980 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in DFW for work, and while I like the people and culture, I am not liking the climate. I am more use to coastal and temperate climates, where it’s more seasonal and not as extreme. While I am okay with warm summers and cool winters, I am not okay with living in a place that is uncomfortably hot more than half the year. It’s often still in the high 80s/low 90s in the fall and late spring. The non-diversity of terrain is also a major downside. Very far from the coast or mountains. Is there another location that I would like better (ie the good things about Texas, but not the downsides)? Where to other Texans like to move to when they want a change? I can tolerate 3 months southern summers, I just don’t want them extending into other seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:41 PM

506 posts, read 507,474 times
For me, it's the Hill Country west of Austin and San Antonio. I'm partial to the Panhandle too.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:42 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,899,880 times
Far West Texas, including Ft. Davis and Alpine, have great weather but finding employment might be a challenge. The area around Canyon is also nice.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,677,079 times
It's unfortunate that the areas in Texas with the best economy and job prospects have the most boring geography and awful weather (if you have an aversion to heat). I've determined that in order to have the climate I want, I need to be further north. You won't ever find 4mo 4 seasons in Texas like you can further north.

More people need to realize that most of Texas will have weather similar to Florida with temperatures of at least 80 degrees from April to October.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,992,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I am not okay with living in a place that is uncomfortably hot more than half the year.

Is there another location that I would like better? Where to other Texans like to move to when they want a change?
The whole state is hot/warm at least half of the year. People who want a real change move to other states. You either accept the way it is here or go to another part of the country. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,976,166 times
Techno and Sunderpig nailed it. Texas is a hot southwest state with some areas of lush greenery headed east. It's varied in landscape but not weather unfortunately.

What I want to know is and maybe it's because i grew up in Texas and am used to heat, but how can people be that annoyed by heat. Enough to leave too. Do people just have that kind of luxury to move because of weather? I could understand retirees up north near the Great Lakes where it gets below zero sometimes but heat? And not even oppressive AZ desert heat but humidity which most of the South also has.

I just don't get the unique clamoring over Texas weather. I think it's just built up in people's heads as being worse than other places when it's quite normal for the region it's in.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:09 PM

50 posts, read 55,930 times
"It's unfortunate that the areas in Texas with the best economy and job prospects have the most boring geography and awful weather (if you have an aversion to heat). I've determined that in order to have the climate I want, I need to be further north. You won't ever find 4mo 4 seasons in Texas like you can further north."

People up North have everything... White Christmas's... 16 months in a year...

Old 11-01-2016, 01:40 PM

778 posts, read 2,317,700 times
I don't believe you will find what you're looking for in Texas. If you are okay with leaving the state, take a look at Colorado. I feel like half of Denver is from Texas (the other half is from California). Just make sure you bring money....

Also, I have heard good things about Northwest Arkansas. Fayetteville/Bentonville/Rogers area, not Fort Smith. Great topography, 4 seasons, good economy, culturally not that different than Texas. It is somewhat small but not tiny by any means, over 500K at last check.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:52 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,823,764 times
You probably would've been better served by posting this in the General U.S. forum along with a list of wants, budget, etc. I hated the Metroplex for pretty much the same reasons and when I got a chance to move back to Colorado I took it. Is it more expensive here? Yup, but for me it's worth every penny.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:38 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,329,887 times
You would have to go up into the mountains or down to the sea shore to get something different. Texas is a big state, there's a lot of everything there, to a point. It is still going to be hot in the coastal towns, but you get a cooling breeze if you live on or near the water. Some of the "mountains" get to over 8,000 feet, but I don't know if you could live up there.

Your best bet for a different climate would be to just go over to New Mexico, or hit the Galveston or Corpus Christi beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.