Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 30,544 times

Advertisements

Left Bend Oregon recently after suffering through long and cold winters. Had never lived that far north and discovered I had SADS and Reynaud's Syndrome. Was living in Yunnan China for 13 years before that. I am self employed and my income went up quite alot in the few years I lived in Oregon. I didn't like writing big checks for Oregon's egregious 9.9% income tax.

Did some research and thought of Wimberley/Dripping Springs area of Texas, and headed out here after visiting the Las Vegas/Henderson area (which I was pretty mediocre on). My wife arrived from China last week (I've been here a month) and she's been plagued with mosquitoes and now we've found she's hyper-allergic to the mosquitoes here in Texas. She ended up in the hospital after three bites because she could not breathe and her face was all puffy. It was a nightmare. Now she's feeling better but literally won't go outside without hustling about and swatting here and there. We are 30 and 42 and used to being outside quite a bit and very active. We have a big dog who loves to run so we need an acre or two wherever we end up. I am sad to see my wife so miserable and afraid. She's not willing to put deet on every day and I don't blame her.

Luckily we do online business and so we are not dependent on the local economy for employment. We would like to live within 15-30 minutes of a decent sized town we could buy some fresh natural foods, take in a movie, go to an asian market. We don't need to live in town and don't mind a drive now and then.

Right now considering El Paso TX, and re-considering Henderson area, even though it seems to be impossible find a place there on an acre or two. Once you leave LV area it's just desert (federal lands). I am not enamored with Reno because it's pretty damn cold for quite a few months a year.

Should I just give up on finding a suitable place amongst the 0% state income tax states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadrinkinglaowai View Post
Should I just give up on finding a suitable place amongst the 0% state income tax states?
Yes, if Nevada doesn't do it for you.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:17 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Reno warms up during the day nicely. If you don't have to go to work very early in the morning, it is perfect!

El Paso is even more isolated than Nevada. It is also surrounding by desert.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:25 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Any state that has normal amenities and decent roads, etc., gets their taxes out of you one way or another. It's going to be sales tax or property tax or income tax, but don't think that if you avoid income tax, your cost of living will be cheaper.

I'd take that out of the equation and look for somewhere that will meet your other needs.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:25 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
She will have to learn to deal with her allergies sooner or later. Once they are identified treatment can be started. Having a topical available and just not using it is a bit childish. There is no place without the occasional and hungry mosquito.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:53 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
I love the obsession with low income tax states. They either get it from you some other way, or the amenities suck. I mean taxes are actually for things usually.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I love the obsession with low income tax states. They either get it from you some other way, or the amenities suck. I mean taxes are actually for things usually.
I paid $40,000 in income taxes in Oregon. I'd have to spend about $500,000 a year on items for a state to get that much from me in sales tax. Texas has a high property tax but only about $2500 higher than Oregon for the same price range I am looking in. Since business can be boom and bust I am trying to save as much money as I can while I am making it. Things change fast.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Reno warms up during the day nicely. If you don't have to go to work very early in the morning, it is perfect!

El Paso is even more isolated than Nevada. It is also surrounding by desert.
I like Reno, just some reservations about the cold and short days (Seasonal depression). It's about 8 hours south of Bend Oregon, so it should be less extreme. El Paso looks decent but after reading alot of the forums about EP it seems like it's probably not a great fit for me.

I do like the area in Texas I am in... the humidity and heat is a challenge, and it makes me feel a bit lazy (which is a good thing for me).

Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
She will have to learn to deal with her allergies sooner or later. Once they are identified treatment can be started. Having a topical available and just not using it is a bit childish. There is no place without the occasional and hungry mosquito.
I am inclined to agree with you. We need to figure out if the root of the allergies is something else. She is stubborn and won't use the deet on her face but maybe if we mixed some into the wash. Dog is already using Frontline for the fleas. I tried some natural stuff for a few days and what a failure that was. I can't even tell if I've been bitten by a mosquito. When we lived in Oregon I was depressed and miserable and she was totally fine. Go figure.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:23 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Washington has no income tax, and eastern WA is pretty sunny and the southern parts are warmer than eastern Oregon since its lower in elevation. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenn...ington#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.