Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM

14 posts, read 33,480 times

Advertisements

My husband and I like most of Michigan are getting out while we can.100 inches of snow this year and no jobs.We are broke just like everyone else.My husband likes factory work,and driving limo as do I,I also have management in customer service areas.I prefer cleaning hotels, ect.We will be leaving here the end of march.We were supposed to go to the asheville nc area but are not sure we want to be there.Looking at greensboro,highpoint area.Gatlinburg Tenn or Johnson city area.and greenville SC as well.Iv'e done alot of research and are more confused than ever.Here's what we want.We can live off 10 to 12 bucks an hr maybe a little less.Our kind of work is not really hard to find but where pays the best? We can live in a 1 br apt high 4 low 5 range.cheaper if possible (i know,thats probably laughable)We also can live an rv park or camp ground but won't pay 4 to 5 hundred a month to hook up.Don't need anything special prefer off the beaten path anyway.Also I have a cat. Prefer very little snow(sick to death of it).Also last but not least I have elderly parents that leave Vermont every year to get away from the snow and are getting to the point that travel at long distances are getting really hard so Im' trying to think of them as well. (snow is their issue.)So now I need your help. Wrap it all up and tell us where to be. Thanks to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Birmingham, Alabama. There's a ton of automotive with a two-hour radio from here with Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and all the other suppliers. Manufacturing remains vibrant and strong here, but the economy is very broad based as well. The result is the country's lowest unemployment and pretty low taxes.

Also consider Mobile, Alabama. Thyssen Krupp is opening a huge steel plant there and is hiring like crazy.

Overall, the South is pretty much the promised land when it comes to jobs at this point. Come with some decent skills and experience, and you'll find a job.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,149 times
The New Orleans metro area is the perfect place for you. Fifty years between every snow storm, lots of jobs in the industrial sector. Housing is unaffordable in the city itself, but great deals can be found throughout the rest of the metropolitan area.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:46 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Well, I'd think about Myrtle Beach. There are a ton of limos around here.......
Also a ton of hotels for you to work in. If not there is many, many, stores opening up. In fact they are having a job fair the end of this month.
We get many "snowbirds" this way in the winters. Perhaps your Mom and Dad should follow in your footsteps and live South full time. Look into the Sun News the newspaper down here or Myrtlebeachonline. com for information. Its been at least 50 here and almost up to 80 a few days. No jackets were needed hardly at all this winter.
We get a lot of Michigan, and Vermont, NH and NJ, NY.......all coming to avoid the winter snows. Best of Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.