Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times

Advertisements

alcohol should be restricted! not banned because it would cause a uproar and only increase the activity on the black market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
alcohol should be restricted! not banned because it would cause a uproar and only increase the activity on the black market
Kinda like drugs eh? Alcohol is already restricted hon.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
no i dont like drugs!

what i meant was any person who goes to by alcohol from a liquor store should take a breathalizer and have to get a background check to see if they have a problem with alcohol! thats what i meant by restricted

+ if the person has cleared a breathalizer and has a clean background then they are permitted to by alcohol! although some people have problems with alcohol and have a clear background i realize this but how many people could possibly be like this? remember one hand washes the other!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 PM

172 posts, read 511,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
what i meant was any person who goes to by alcohol from a liquor store should take a breathalizer and have to get a background check to see if they have a problem with alcohol! thats what i meant by restricted

+ if the person has cleared a breathalizer and has a clean background then they are permitted to by alcohol! although some people have problems with alcohol and have a clear background i realize this but how many people could possibly be like this? remember one hand washes the other!
Come on now... That's just absurd. Do you remember when the government tried to enforce prohibition from 1920 to 1933?
It was one of the most lawless, violent, crime filled eras of our history!
I'm afraid your solution just won't work. People will not stand for it.

Making someone use a breathalizer before they can buy alcohol? What's next? We have to step on the scales before we buy groceries?

Quote:
no i dont like drugs!
And I don't believe DG was saying that you liked drugs. If I'm not mistaken, she was saying that if alcohol were relegated to the black market it would be 'kinda like drugs, eh?'

And putting people in jail for 10 years for smoking pot has been tried before. It's not a practical solution. In the grand scheme of things, how do you reconcile a 10 year sentance for pot smoking and a similar sentance for manslaughter or violent assault? Most felony convictions are between 4 to 10 years - Do you think smoking pot ranks with felony assault?

In my opinion, the only truely effective way to curb alcohol and or drug use is to attach a social stigma to their use. Only when we as a society begin to shun or detest users will they finally realize they're not following acceptable behavior. Putting them in jail isn't the answer.

I keep hearing the kids say things like, "You did drugs and drank beer when you were a teenager - what's the big deal? I got caught and you didn't!"

We sure didn't set a very good example if our kids feel justified in throwing our past back in our faces!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM

27 posts, read 104,549 times
Default Its Not All of Us

Thank you very much.
I would just like to speak up for the youth out there that doesnt do all that bad stuff. My friends and I are some of the most community involved people you will ever meet. Im in marching band, concert band, orchestra, dance team, interact, students for environmental awareness, jazz band, and Im on the track team. I maintain an A/B average and the only time I slipped to a C was in Biology II.

I will admit that Ive tried alcohol before, but that doesnt make me a bad person. Show me an average, everyday human, who hasnt tried drinking in their life. I dont get drunk every single weekend and Ive never tried pot. Nor will I ever.

Im sorry if I sound like Im getting all up in arms, but thats because I am. It just gets so annoying to see all these slightly more aged people acting all mature and blaming our generation for all the bad things in this world. The world is the way it is because of the generations that came before us!

Sorry to tell you guys, but we just got here about 12-18 years ago. Weve probably done a lot less damage in our short lifespan then some of the 50-60 year old people out there.

Sure there are teens that get drunk, do drugs, sleep around, and fail at school. But they dont represent the entire teen population. Some of us actually want to excel at life. I for one plan on going to Arizona State University and majoring in Environmental Engineering. My friend Lindsey plans on attending Northwestern University in Chicago and getting a degree in the medical field. Trenna wants to study the liberal arts at University of Chicago. Need I say more? I hope three examples is enough.

Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone, but these posts really offend me.

Oh and I dont dress like a wankster (a white gangster) I dress conservatively IMO. Mostly Hollister, American Eagle, and Abercrombie and Fitch. Which Ill admit does get a little revealing when it comes to womens clothing, but thats only if they choose to buy clothes that are 5 sizes to small.

Ok so I dont want to end this thread on a bad note. So heres a smiley face! :]

Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Good for you! Wankster ... that's a new one!

Best of luck at ASU. Your friends will LOVE Evanston and Chicago. Your friends going to U of C are brave souls. I lived up there for almost 10 years and hung around many of U of C person. People who went to NU usually had sunnier dispositions as a result.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks Domergurl! I actually cant recall if its University of Chicago or Chicago State University. Im glad someone sees that were not all like the teens on TV.

Thanks for not getting offended by my post or anything!
And Im really looking forward to Arizona State.

Thanks Again,
Nickk

Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM

No offense at all ... not all of us old farts act like old farts. I hope it's U of Chicago and not Chicago State ... they may as well go to IUPUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz View Post
Thanks Domergurl! I actually cant recall if its University of Chicago or Chicago State University. Im glad someone sees that were not all like the teens on TV.

Thanks for not getting offended by my post or anything!
And Im really looking forward to Arizona State.

Thanks Again,
Nickk

Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM

172 posts, read 511,994 times
Nick, I think everyone here wishes you all the best.
But as for you being offended by the posts in this thread, you need to get thicker skin. This is nothing compared to what awaits you out in the real world.

If you felt that folks were talking about you, well, maybe we were, but we surely don't know you personally, but we know other young people very well.

We were discussing the general behavior of todays youth, with some individual experiences thrown in. We're talking about young people in general - why they do what they do - why they react the way they do - what makes them tick.
It's much different today - It's not the same as when we were youths.

If you're offended by that kind of discussion, then get out there and change the perception we have. Do something to convince us that we are wrong. Reach out to the 'misbehaving' youths in your circle and let them know their behavior is considered unacceptable.

Saying 'it's not all of us', or 'I'm not part of that crowd', doesn't exempt you from any critical examination of the group of 'todays youth'. If you're part of that group, then you're what we're discussing, whether you want to be discussed or not.

Instead of complaining about how us 'old people' offend you, do something constructive to make us proud of you.
We'll be the first to applaud your accomplishments!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Domergurl: yeah lol I hope its not Chicago State either. Its got quite a bad reputation around here...I would much rather her go to ASU with me so I actually know someone when I get there but whatever its her choiceee.

TraderJack:
But all of the stuff I just listed is proof that teens arent all that were cracked up to be.
That were not all just pot smoking losers who drink and have sex and break the ruless. That there are some of us who want to excel at life. And the reason we dont get noticed is because the news rarely ever likes to talk about achievements in the teen community.

Theyre always saying all the bad stuff we do and none of the good and that really ergs me off.

And Students for Environmental Awareness and Interact are both community outreach programs designed for students who want to be upstanding citizens in their area and give back to the community. S.E.A cleans up around parks and ditches where people often throw garbage and they go around communities, promoting recycling and waste conservation.

Interact is a subdivision of Rotary and has 85 members at my school. We try and recruit more and more each year but lately its been kind of difficult with the moral decay and all.

Heres my main point, what Im trying to get across.
I dunno, I guess all Im trying to say is that there are bad adults in the world. But we teens dont think that all you guys are evil just because of all the rapists and murderers and thiefs. Maybe you guys could return the favor by recognizing that a lot of us teens are actually pretty decent kids...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.