Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:42 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times

Advertisements

Indiana has a strong Baptist influence compared to other parts of the Midwest and the Southern parts of the state are similar to Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 05:13 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Florida isn't really an outlier outside of Tampa, Orlando and Southeast Florida. Jacksonville, The Panhandle, North-Central Florida and most of the state in-land besides Orlando is basically Georgia/Alabama.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:42 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Florida isn't really an outlier outside of Tampa, Orlando and Southeast Florida. Jacksonville, The Panhandle, North-Central Florida and most of the state in-land besides Orlando is basically Georgia/Alabama.
Well the vast majority of Floridians live in the metros of Tampa, Orlando and Miami / Southeast Florida with nearly 2/3rds. of the state's population residing in them.
Florida is not like the rest of the deep South culturally or Socially.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Indiana has a strong Baptist influence compared to other parts of the Midwest and the Southern parts of the state are similar to Kentucky.
My thoughts exactly. Indiana generally feels far more Southern and socially conservative than its Midwest neighbors. And IMO you really don't have to go all the way to the southern end of the state to feel that.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:27 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
You are forgetting Naples all the way up to Tampa Bay. The Naples-Fort Myers CSA might literally be the most northern transient CSA in the American South. Sarasota to our north is basically the same thing. The Florida heartland today has a massive Hispanic population, particularly in the younger age groups, making that area of Florida as well much different compared to states like Alabama and Georgia.

Pretty much the entire Florida peninsula at this point is morphed into its own cultural niche. These changes have always happened and will continue to happen in our society.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This. Anywhere outside of the Phoenix metro and it feels quite a bit different. Phoenix is a better match to Las Vegas than it is Tucson. Tucson matching more, err, to cities east of and Phoenix err, west of. Northern Arizona fits in more with Colorado and Utah with many parts of N. AZ being completely dominated by LDS. Though Arizona is considered part of the heart of the Southwest, it's definitely a state that collides with three regions, California, IW, and the SW respectively.

I have lived in both Las Vegas and Phoenix and in my opinion they have nothing in common.

I can count the number of Midwestern Las Vegans I met one hand. A large segment of people in Phoenix talk like they from Chicago or the upper-Midwest.

Phoenix and Tucson are in the same state with similar demographics. Metro Phoenix is a little more polite then Tucson and that is about it in my experience.

Las Vegas is the most extroverted city in the nation with the tourism and hospitality industry, it has to be.

Phoenix people are all about routine, Las Vegas people like to explore.

Phoenix people complain about tourists constantly but Las Vegas rolls-out red carpet for tourists.

Every roommate and co-worker I have had in Phoenix has basically either been a big gamer or watched sports during their time off work.

The only people I see hiking or taking advantage of the nice winters in Phoenix are snowbirds. Very few snowbirds in Las Vegas, but many retiree, affluent Californians move there.

In Las Vegas, my roommates were hardly ever home. Same with my co-workers, most of them had big plains after leaving the swing shift at work.

Las Vegas is a little more brash and open then Phoenix which is polite but extremely introverted.

Las Vegas has alot of California-born people living there and much of the weekend influx of people is from Southern California.

Phoenix has certain areas where one is more likely to hear a Midwestern accent then the flat-Western accent of the locals.

I found Phoenix to be like a larger version of Tucson. Socially they are very similar. The people are polite, but extremely introverted then both.

Las Vegas fits in very well with the region it is in, Phoenix not so much.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:18 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have lived in both Las Vegas and Phoenix and in my opinion they have nothing in common.

Phoenix and Tucson are in the same state with similar demographics. Metro Phoenix is a little more polite then Tucson and that is about it in my experience.

Las Vegas is the most extroverted city in the nation with the tourism and hospitality industry, it has to be.

Phoenix people are all about routine, Las Vegas people like to explore.

Phoenix people complain about tourists constantly but Las Vegas rolls-out red carpet for tourists.

Every roommate and co-worker I have had in Phoenix has basically either been a big gamer or watched sports during their time off work.

The only people I see hiking or taking advantage of the nice winters in Phoenix are snowbirds. Very few snowbirds in Las Vegas, but many retiree, affluent Californians move there.

In Las Vegas, my roommates were hardly ever home. Same with my co-workers, most of them had big plains after leaving the swing shift at work.

Las Vegas is a little more brash and open then Phoenix which is polite but extremely introverted.

Las Vegas has alot of California-born people living there and much of the weekend influx of people is from Southern California.

Phoenix has certain areas where one is more likely to hear a Midwestern accent then the flat-Western accent of the locals.

I found Phoenix to be like a larger version of Tucson. Socially they are very similar. The people are polite, but extremely introverted then both.
I'm going to have to agree to disagree on all of your points.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:15 PM

292 posts, read 323,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I agree. Indiana really is almost like a Southern state plopped in the Great Lakes. Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota (Ohio to a certain extent) are all very much a like in regards to social culture. Indiana thought feels like a conservative state that is more aligned to places like South Carolina, Alabama or Tennessee.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well the vast majority of Floridians live in the metros of Tampa, Orlando and Miami / Southeast Florida with nearly 2/3rds. of the state's population residing in them.
Florida is not like the rest of the deep South culturally or Socially.
Using that logic Chicago is representative of most of Illinois culture and Atlanta is the standard for pretty much all of Georgia's culture. I'm sorry that doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:13 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
Using that logic Chicago is representative of most of Illinois culture and Atlanta is the standard for pretty much all of Georgia's culture. I'm sorry that doesn't make any sense.
Seriously.

Do you even comprehend that you just compared one city in two states to THREE in another state? Are you aware of the land area difference with what you just said?

Yes, the metros of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and even down to Naples are defining of Florida because it covers most of the states landmass and almost all of the states population.

Florida has a population that is very spread out, unlike Georgia or Illinois, where the bulk of their population is in one metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.