Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 03:47 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not always. See 2006.

In general, the first midterm election is really bad for the president's party (see 1994 and 2010). It wasn't true for W in 2002, but that was the post September 11th environment, which won't happen again unless...well...another September 11th happens.
2006 was a really rare case. Let's see if that's repeated. All in all, Democrats really don't turn out like they do in presidential years. Even worse is the off-off elections (odd years) like many communities have for school boards, commission seats, council seats, mayors, etc. Those participation rates are often abysmal across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 12:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
First, this is not a political post. If you are happy w/ the election, that's fine, but this is for liberals that wish to relocate. No one is going to change anyone's minds.

I've looked at most parts of the US, and for a liberal that wants affordability and a not-too-high cost of living, well, good luck! I am currently in St Pete, Florida and it's pretty liberal, but the development pace is bringing in a lot of investors and 1%ers, so it is rapidly changing.

New Mexico is attractive as it is Democratically controlled, but my memories of Albuquerque are of high crime, poverty, a low level of education, a bit of a disconnect between the local Latino population and the Anglos, a full on crazy police force that is currently under federal oversight due to trigger happy officers, and quite a few rude east coast people. Tucson was worse in some regards, better in others.

In short, I have no idea where to go, and may as well stay here because it seems better than anywhere else I have lived. For now. I looked at Panama and the negatives far outweigh the positives. Costa Rico sounds nice, and I've thought of it for ages, but it does not appear to be affordable in the safer areas anymore. Hawaii, while still a US state, is so culturally different it may as well not be, but having lived there off and on since 1992 I know about the racism and cost of living issues.

So where is anyone else thinking of going? Or IS there anywhere else that might be affordable, liberal and liveable? Or are you just going to stand pat and stay where you are?
May as well stay where you are as in 4 years things could swing the other way.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:57 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Why do liberals keep having to move around?
To escape the pits of hell that they've created. They then move to nice, red cities/states and then destroy those, too. Its a vicious cycle. Er, more like cancer if you think about it.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:08 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Why do liberals keep having to move around?
Moreso to have a liberal local government than anything. Of course, I want the people governing my are to be basically libertarian, but still concerned with the environment and neither super conservative nor super liberal on public spending. There is a sweet spot.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Politics and social norms are fluid. Stay where you are, by the time you move elsewhere, things will change again.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
To escape the pits of hell that they've created. They then move to nice, red cities/states and then destroy those, too. Its a vicious cycle. Er, more like cancer if you think about it.
Oh stop, people who move to red states don't move to them because they're red, case in point, me, I moved to Phoenix from NY for the weather, not the politics!

Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
i'm sensing an up coming civil war if this attitude is pervasive. Thinking your fellow Americans are akin to cancer if they dont think the same way you do doesnt sound like an America thats on the road to being great again IMO.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:45 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Because the perfect solution, after Democrats lose the electoral college, is for liberals to flee swing states right?
No argument from me on that.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:16 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
2006 was a really rare case. Let's see if that's repeated. All in all, Democrats really don't turn out like they do in presidential years. Even worse is the off-off elections (odd years) like many communities have for school boards, commission seats, council seats, mayors, etc. Those participation rates are often abysmal across the board.
Yet, those local elections are more important, as they have an effect on your immediate community.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:35 AM

63 posts, read 82,040 times
Hi! Same boat here. I'm in Orlando, so not far from you. And although orange county went democrat, it was by a slim margin, and here on the outskirts of town most of my neighbors, if not all, voted the other way.I see/saw Trump stickers, signs, everwhere. We've already had an incident at the high school,and I had to call the police about a local teen threatening to shoot up the peaceful protest in Orlando the other day.A friend was chased and screamed at for her liberal bumper sticker, etc.

Plus, I already hated Orlando, lol.

Anyway, we looked at a few options. Canada is obvious, and my husband's career is in demand there, but the salaries are about half what they are here. We can't live on that (single income, I stay home and homeschool the kids). UK had slightly higher salaries than Canada, but still lower than here and the cost of living is higher than Canada. Also a no go.

Botson area is too expensive, and Burlington VT probably is too. New England just isn't cheap.

So, now I'm looking at Durham, in North Carolina. Durham county went nearly 80 percent for Hillary, and the nearby counties also went blue, some darker than others. Low cost of living with decent salaries. It seems, after research, salaries are actually a bit higher there than here, and the housing prices are lower. Durham is liberal, a bit funky, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.