Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times

Advertisements

Boone/Blowing Rock, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:59 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
There are large amounts of Iowa that went for obama twice in rural areas, in fact every single county in Iowa on the Mississippi River in Iowa voted for Obama in 2012. There are also many democrat/leaning areas in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Rural New England is also pretty democratic/liberal in most areas.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 15,462 times
Seeing so many people recommend black areas of the south, because they vote democratic, I'd say you might want to be more specific. Many black rural areas are just as suspicious of outsiders as white ones.

We lived for 3 years in a predominantly black neighborhood in the south. Their views towards guns and females were far more right-wing than liberal.

I suggest you go to IC.org where you can look at more than just one label or designation, but also look at rural vs. urban, vs suburban, and religious tendencies, eating tendencies, political philosophies, etc....
Or look into WOOF'ing.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCaDL View Post
Seeing so many people recommend black areas of the south, because they vote democratic, I'd say you might want to be more specific. Many black rural areas are just as suspicious of outsiders as white ones.
Ummm, only one person recommended heavily Black Southern rural areas and admitted that they are really more Democratic than liberal.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:32 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
There are large amounts of Iowa that went for obama twice in rural areas, in fact every single county in Iowa on the Mississippi River in Iowa voted for Obama in 2012. There are also many democrat/leaning areas in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Rural New England is also pretty democratic/liberal in most areas.
Trump really bit into the Democrat-leaning counties along the Upper Mississippi between Minneapolis and Keokuk. I never really understood the Democrat lean of those areas, some of which are truly rural farming areas and not just small cities like Burlington and Dubuque. There's not a distinguishing religion or ethnicity in these counties either - though the rural areas may be populated a bit more by descendants of direct northern European immigrants than by descendants of older stock Americans whose families began their experience on this continent in other areas, that doesn't seem to distinguish from areas further west in IA and MN as much as politics did/does. Maybe the river counties are relatively more Catholic than Lutheran but not uniformly so. Topography is distinguishing, it's hillier (dissected bluffs) closer to the big rivers. But PA certainly doesn't have a positive correlation of hilliness and Democrat-ness.

The "arrowhead" of MN north of Duluth remained blue even in this election. That's not farming territory though, but mining and tourism. On US 61 north of Duluth in the summer, Texas auto license tags seem to outnumber Minnesota's. Probably not the case in November, but I've never been there then to confirm.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:36 PM

525 posts, read 719,218 times
Athens, Ohio
Northfield, Minnesota
Duluth, Minnesota
Lawrence, Kansas
Asheville, North Carolina

Most of Vermont

Old 11-28-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Athens, Ohio
Northfield, Minnesota
Duluth, Minnesota
Lawrence, Kansas
Asheville, North Carolina
Those are urban areas, not rural.

And the rural areas around Asheville are conservative.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:00 PM

525 posts, read 719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Those are urban areas, not rural.

And the rural areas around Asheville are conservative.

Maybe my idea of rural areas is different. Any city of 125,000 or less including the countryside consisted of farmland is rural to me.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Coastal Northern CA north of the Bay Area. Lot of hippies, potheads, and overall more liberal mindset.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Maybe my idea of rural areas is different. Any city of 125,000 or less including the countryside consisted of farmland is rural to me.
Yeah I don't think many people would consider this the definition of rural:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.