Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times

Advertisements

El Centro Kalifornia. I had to live there for one year on contract. It's people have a strong dislike for whites. They won't wait on you in retail stores unless you know their type of spanish. Would just turn around and walk away. I had problems with ordering fast food also. Most people there didn't know english. People in the bars or just in public wouldn't talk to you unless, again you know spanish. I never actually felt threatened, just not wanted. I hardly went around town unless it was to eat. The hassle of just trying to do things was not worth it. On my days off I went to Yuma or San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:25 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Minority Areas that are "pro" white? What a laugh.

Forgive me for saying this, but we arent created equal and minorities have had to fight tooth and nail to get ahead in a system that has been specifically oriented towards the benefit of whites.

Now you wonder aloud about whites being "attacked"-like your some downtrodden and historically oppressed people-AS IF
LOL..... minorities depend on who you are speaking about. Asians have done very well in the US compared to other minorities, and I don't see many complaining wah wah we were oppressed forced to make railroads and thrown in prison camps during WW2.

The system right now has unconstitutional laws in it made specifically for minorities to get ahead and favors them over white people.

Black oppression is sad, especially since most of it originates with their own people. Black slavery started with them enslaving and selling each other... but black americans really don't want to go over and Africa and complain, its more cozy to complain here in the US.

Native Americans, the people who personally I think have had it worse then any minority in the US, you never hear about..

regardless.... white kids growing up in majority black schools are frequently the targets of racism and hate. I say schools, not neighborhoods, cuz honestly it seems outside the schools most people are respectful to those who treat them with respect, in schools however its not the case...

From LA to Miami the only minority-majority neighborhood where I thought people really disliked me was in STL, and even then I didn't feel like anyone was going to attack me....

Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
To even try to equate the white experience with the black experience in America is extremely insulting. Blatant institutional discrimination and racism against blacks was practiced in this country into the 1970s. Whites have never had crosses systematically burned on their lawns from moving into the wrong neighborhood, whites were never casterated and hung for dating a black woman, whites aren't racially profiled by police, when a white woman is violated or is missing the national media comes to her defense, whites have never faced exclusion from istitutions and occupations, whites have never been obliged to call a black person sir or maam under the threat of violence, white families were never torn apart because family members were sold away like cattle, whites have never been confined to living in an underserved part of a city.

The thing about history is that it affects the present. The world wasn't created in 1970. Things have gotten better, but don't try to patronize people of color and beat your chests about "injustices" that whites face.

And here is the break down...

White man beaten for dating black woman

Police: White Man Beaten For Dating Black Woman

The KKK burned crosses in the yards of white catholics and white people who supported equal rights.

Not a single person alive today in the US has been enslaved, its time to get over it. Black slavery started with black people themselves. You try to make it sound like every white person is privileged which isn't the case. Germans and Irish were mistreated when they first came to the US, indentured servants were basically slaves...

It's funny black people fought to get things equal, and then once it happens they want things separate. Their own channel, own clothing lines, buying only black made products. It's racist, isolationist, and separatist attitudes. If you want real integration you bring your culture and you mix, you don't say "boo hoo i'm mistreated cuz my great great great great grandparents were slaves" cuz no one feels sorry for you... just contribute to society and work for what you want and people will respect you.

If racism was a major concern of whites in the US today then Obama wouldn't have been president. Thats not to say racism is dead, it's not... but complaining and asking for special treatment is going to extend it even longer. Now fighting against REAL injustices is important.... blacks being imprisoned more often over drug use, etc... thats worth fighting against. Arab-americans being targeted after 9/11 just because of their nationality, thats worth fighting against.... legal hispanics being targeted because of anger over illegal immigrants, thats worth fighting against... those are injustices, and those people victims of prejudice.... the case going to the supreme court over the firefighters who tested for promotion, passed the test, and then didn't get the promotion and they changed the rules because no blacks passed the test? Pfft... study harder then. I'd really like to see how a written test on firefighting favors one race over another.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Just a guess, but I would say in the deep south in majority black areas, and maybe in some major urban areas across the country in black areas of the city.

I saw this SuperMario quote being brought up again a page ago, so I have to remind everyone how ridiculous it was. Im white (although half puerto rican) and I have walked and been all over Harlem and never had any violence or racially motivated things done to me, even with not being black. Saying that if youre white you be killed in these areas is ridiculous.

In my neighborhoods I grew up in and around Cleveland, which were mostly black and/or hispanic, I did have some racist things said and done to me though for just being part white, nothing that bad though. This has changed today though, so now if youre half black or half hispanic, you will most likely get a pass, but full whites still usually dont unless theyre from the area. Its not like you will get killed though, maybe just have some racist things said to you and maybe assaulted (at the worst), but usually nothing.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
LOL..... minorities depend on who you are speaking about. Asians have done very well in the US compared to other minorities, and I don't see many complaining wah wah we were oppressed forced to make railroads and thrown in prison camps during WW2.

The system right now has unconstitutional laws in it made specifically for minorities to get ahead and favors them over white people.

Black oppression is sad, especially since most of it originates with their own people. Black slavery started with them enslaving and selling each other... but black americans really don't want to go over and Africa and complain, its more cozy to complain here in the US.

Native Americans, the people who personally I think have had it worse then any minority in the US, you never hear about..

regardless.... white kids growing up in majority black schools are frequently the targets of racism and hate. I say schools, not neighborhoods, cuz honestly it seems outside the schools most people are respectful to those who treat them with respect, in schools however its not the case...

From LA to Miami the only minority-majority neighborhood where I thought people really disliked me was in STL, and even then I didn't feel like anyone was going to attack me....

You have to keep in mind that most Asians came recently, after the Civil Rights Movement. So, they are relatively new and haven't had to generally deal with things like the breakdown of the family, a time when blatant racism was fine, they are pretty much selective Asians(meaning they don't just let any in), and so on.

Then, you have to realize that there is variation within the umbrella group of Asians. So, SE Asians, which are very poor, have a different struggle or situation than say Koreans. People also don't realize that Asians have a higher percentage of people in poverty than Whites, have a higher family income due to living in places with a higher cost of living and an extended family in the same household many times. So, you have to put the comparisons into perspective instead of playing the Asian "model minority " card, because there are many factors to think about and that tag could prevent people from taking issues that people in the umbrella Asian community might have seriously.

Also, what unconstitutional laws are you talking about? I hope not Affirmative Action, which actually has benefitted white women more than anyone else. Considering that they are the biggest historically disenfranchised group when including race and gender, it really is common sense. You also have to consider any networking advantages they might have as well. So, that is more about geneder than race. Just go and compare college enrollment and many non traditional jobs over the decades and you will see what I'm talking about and in fact Black women are also out doing Black men, which pretty much adds to what I'm saying.

As for the African Slave Trade, let's not also forget that there were Slave catchers as well and many forts owned by the French, Portuguese and other European powers. So, it was a group effort fuel by the arms race and money. It's not like they were turning the slaves down either.

What hurts Native Americans is the fact that they only make up about 1% of the population, but there are people that speak out. I live near a Reservation and some of the people are outspoken about their situation. So, because it's not on mainstream media, doesn't mean that they don't have concerns or speak out about things.

As a Black kid that went to overwhelmingly White schools(93-96%), there were incidents with race and violence. So, that's not exclusive and this is including the neighborhood too. I even remember a couple of incidents at a kid's house, with the parents there.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I remember a while back ABC news reporters with hidden cameras went trolling at a NASCAR event trying to instigate racist attitudes among NASCAR fans about blacks and Muslims.
The subject of this thread could provide an idea for the opposite side.
How about a white male reporter working for 60 Minutes or some other news program armed only with with a hidden camera walk arm-in-arm with a black woman through some infamous black neighborhoods in LA, NYC, Chicago,etc and see how long it takes him to get the living crap beat out of him, or worse. Of course, that will never happen for 2 reasons. 1) there aren't any reporters that brave and 2) it might expose the backward and bigoted attitude in many black communities and that's not a image the media in this country has any desire to show. It doesn't fit their template of a racist white America.
It would also help answer the OP's question.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I remember a while back ABC news reporters with hidden cameras went trolling at a NASCAR event trying to instigate racist attitudes among NASCAR fans about blacks and Muslims.
The subject of this thread could provide an idea for the opposite side.
How about a white male reporter working for 60 Minutes or some other news program armed only with with a hidden camera walk arm-in-arm with a black woman through some infamous black neighborhoods in LA, NYC, Chicago,etc and see how long it takes him to get the living crap beat out of him, or worse. Of course, that will never happen for 2 reasons. 1) there aren't any reporters that brave and 2) it might expose the backward and bigoted attitude in many black communities and that's not a image the media in this country has any desire to show. It doesn't fit their template of a racist white America.
It would also help answer the OP's question.
Heck, they hardly show a positive aspect of Black life either. Go figure.....

In my area, even our predominately Black neighborhoods have there share of whites still living there. So, it's not that simple here.

Also, what people don't want to get into is the aspect of drugs. Meaning, that many White suburbanites will be bold enough to come into poor, predominate Black and/or Hispanic neighborhoods to get their fix. There were two incidents in my area where this happened and the guys were either held up or later killed in "drug deals gone wrong". These were people not from the immediate area and came from towns in the next county over in both incidents.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 PM

378 posts, read 626,207 times
Stockton, California.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
what were we talking about again?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Not so much due to heckling factor, but more like, the feeling of having left the US: Cupertino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.