Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times

Advertisements

I couldn't disagree more. Nearly all Cubans in America are white, however the majority of Mexicans appear to be non-white (although there are obviously exceptions).

Most of the Cubans I have met in the NY/NJ area are very much conisdered a part of white society. Then again this is the Northeast, and I am sure things are different in other parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Amongst white Americans, we view Cubans and Mexicans as the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
mead yes I'm a cuban descent and for the most part we are white (caucasian I guess) since i can trace my family back to Spain also. It gets confusing because I'm a hispanic in the US which is fine but that's not a race. Hispanics mainly share a language and that's about it. There are so many differences in culture so when people say "we whites think cubans & mexicans are the same" I just have to laugh.

As for the Harlem remarks the place is not a ghetto!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:54 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cow Manure.

Just wanted to come in this thread and laugh at this quote. lol

Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

truthhurts Miami does have a sizable african american population in areas such as Liberty City, Overtown, Brownsville, but it does have a lot of Caribbean blacks from Haiti, Jamaica and the islands as well. You were right on your assertion that they don't get along either. I have several black caribbean friends who have said some horrible things about african americans in my presence including the use of the N word if you could believe it.
Of course this is just my perspective but I grew up in the Miami area and have lived there since the mid 70s.
Absolutely TRUE. That is a big reason why I do not think I could ever stay in Miami. I have family in both Dade and Broward counties and I have experienced it. I am an African American (rather say Black American) and the Caribbean blacks love to talk about how they are better than Black Americans. How they dealt with Whites differently than how we dealt with them. It gets very frustrating to live with it. To be fair, Black Americans sometimes treat Caribbean blacks pretty badly as well. But you'd see it a bit more from Caribbean blacks more.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
I've been all over the South and the only city I'd be nervous to stroll through the black neighborhoods is New Orleans. But hell, I'm kinda nervous strolling through the French Quarter in New Orleans!
All over the South huh? hehe. So I take it you would walk around North Charleston, SC at night?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
All over the South huh? hehe. So I take it you would walk around North Charleston, SC at night?
Hmmm. Don't think I've been to Charleston, or if I have it was when I was a kid and don't remember. But I've been to:

Jackson, MS
Gulfport, MS
Birmingham, AL
New Orleans, LA
Atlanta, GA
Lafayette, LA
Nashville, TN
Sarasota, FL
Orlando, FL
Wilmington, NC

That's off the top of my head. There's more than that.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As for the Harlem remarks the place is not a ghetto!
Im curious to why you would say that?

Harlem is one of the most notorious and long standing ghettos of all time. From 155th down to 96th....and Broadway to 1st avenue....ALL of Harlem is one giant cesspool.

You dont live in NYC. So I really dont expect you to understand. In other states they probably talk about Harlem as the cultural center of blacks....125th street, Jazz, Apollo theater etc......I mean I can't explain it any other way why people would think that Harlem is anything BUT a ghetto.

You've seen the pictures, the youtube videos etc....

But go to the NYC forums and go to Harlem rezoning thread. See how Harlem is viewed by New Yorkers. It's a no go zone.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
To those speaking above about it, When i lived in Miami (i am white non-hispanic(non cuban) ) I definatly did not feel welcomed by the local cuban population and there was definatly discrimination, so i wouldn't say that cubans are always considered part of the "white" population. Though some look white in skin, there was a definate difference between the two, at least in Miami.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM

287 posts, read 350,521 times
^^ It's interesting when immigrants come to this country and then discriminate against people whose family has been here for 300 years.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 007 View Post
I've heard that Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Detroit are espeically hostile to white people.
You heard correct,I've heard(and seen)the racism in Phila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.