Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:31 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Philadelphia is functionally coastal by virtue of its location on the Delaware River which gives it a short, direct connection to the Atlantic via the Delaware Bay. DC and Baltimore are similar with rivers/bays/harbors that give them short, direct connections to the Atlantic.The Triangle, by contrast, is comfortably inland and sits on no major bodies of water that give it a direct connection to the Atlantic.
Well...I like my ACC parameters better so I'm gonna stick with that. I live on the East Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:45 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
Chicago is east coast but not north east

Old 12-03-2016, 10:58 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I think this is a silly little thing for people to argue about but it is funny to see.
Haha. You could say that about a lot of thread topics on here.

I'm actually surprised that this thread has gone on so long. It's a really simple question and everyone seems to be agreeing on the answer

Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Well...I like my ACC parameters better so I'm gonna stick with that. I live on the East Coast
So RI, NH, ME, etc aren't East Coast in your book...hope nobody else takes cues from that book.

You live in an East Coast state but you aren't actually on the East Coast. If it's that important to you, move to Wilmington or Elizabeth City. Even then, nobody refers to the NC coast as "East Coast."

Old 12-03-2016, 03:50 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
OK I'm originally from the northeast and never heard "east coast" to mean only DC and points north.

East coast is the whole coast!

What about Tampa ? :-D

Old 12-03-2016, 03:56 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The truth is somewhere in between.

Although Philly is technically part of the mid-Atlantic, these days the term seems to apply more to those cities/areas along the eastern seaboard that have more of a Southern/Northern mix to some extent--which is why the DC-Baltimore region is the unofficial epicenter of the modern definition of the mid-Atlantic. Philly is mostly considered to be just plain ol' Northeastern, like NYC (which is also technically mid-Atlantic).
It is Mid-Atlantic. Other than on City-Data, I've never heard anyone there use that term--not that that means anything.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
That leaves out a few states which are on the coast.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It is Mid-Atlantic. Other than on City-Data, I've never heard anyone there use that term--not that that means anything.
People definitely do say Mid-Atlantic IRL, but people from NYC <---> Philly area don't use it as much as "Northeast" or just "east coast"

Old 12-04-2016, 12:40 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times
I grew up in NJ, have lived in NYC many years. When I learned geography as a kid, we were taught the term "Mid-Atlantic" and I still use that term if/when it comes up. I don't know why some people here have said it's never used. The term is quite commonly known.

East Coast = Maine to Florida. Ain't no two ways about that! Anyone who thinks it is just about a few cities in the Northeast is either misinformed or ignorant of the facts. The term East Coast refers not only to a handful of cities; it's referring to all the states along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean.

And Cleveland is not part of it, whoever keeps saying that is being ridiculous. All of OH is part of the the very large Midwest region. Anyone I have ever known considers people from any part of Ohio as having come from the Midwest.

Although neither PA or DC are touching the Atlantic Ocean, they do connect to the ocean via tidal estuaries (the Delaware River & the Potomac), and are generally considered part of the East Coast. And yes, that means all of PA, even though I am sure many people who live in Western PA probably identify more with the Midwest than the East Coast. Keep in mind that Philly was always considered an important East Coast shipping port.

Technically, VT and WV are not on the Atlantic coast either, but they are usually considered as belonging to the Eastern Coast/Seaboard states. Mostly this has to do with proximity and the fact that they were among the original thirteen colonies.

So...

The EAST COAST includes these regions:
New England - ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT.

Mid-Atlantic - NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, WV. However, a lot of people only think of NY, NJ, and PA as Mid-Atlantic. And DE, MD, and VA has come to be known as DelMarVa.

Southern Atlantic - DC, NC, SC, GA, FL. Often referred to as the Southeast or part of the South, as well.
WEST COAST is WA, OR, CA.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Technically, VT and WV are not on the Atlantic coast either, but they are usually considered as belonging to the Eastern Coast/Seaboard states. Mostly this has to do with proximity and the fact that they were among the original thirteen colonies.
Neither state was among the 13 original colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.