Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:48 PM

239 posts, read 304,702 times

Advertisements

I know this question may sound kind of weird at first glance but when you consider everything from housing prices, to taxes, adjustments in income, cost of food and gas, etc does everything kind of even out no matter where you live in the US? To clarify I understand that it's going to cost more to live in a place like Manhattan or SF because of high housing costs, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about your average suburb in any given city in the US.

An example of this would be if someone were living in say Phoenix and they got a job transfer to Sacramento. At first it may seem like moving to California may be more expensive because of the high state income tax. Right? But, you have to consider that more than likely you would receive a raise in pay going to California because of the higher COS. If that's the case everything evens out.

I personally feel like everything does even out because I used to live in Reno, NV and have since moved to Austin, Texas. Some could consider NV more expensive (not CA expensive) because gas prices are higher, groceries are higher, and car registration is higher than Texas. However, since moving I have noticed that's not the case because even though TX does have lower prices of everything I mentioned above, it's all made up when paying for other things such as property taxes, and sales tax, not to mention I took a cut in pay. So to me it all evens out. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
No.

There's a metric somewhere that combines COL and median income stats and go bed kind of a 'bang for your buck' list.

How Far Your Paycheck Goes, In 356 U.S. Cities : Planet Money : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.