Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 AM

15 posts, read 17,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ventura, CA would be your style

Just a quick check on Craigslist: ventura apartments / housing rentals "studio ventura" - craigslist

Lots more options
I am very interested in Culver City, Long Beach, and Thousand Oaks area. I will check out Ventura as well. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:48 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
The big bodies of water is the catch. hmmm. You might consider New Orleans or Savannah too. Jacksonville.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 17,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
The big bodies of water is the catch. hmmm. You might consider New Orleans or Savannah too. Jacksonville.
Exactly, It's hard to find a larger city close to water that's affordable. I did check out Savannah but it left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Partly, because my hotel room in Savannah was infested with cockroaches so I ended up in Tybee.

I haven't checked out New Orleans. I'm slightly worried about racism there. I'm not sure if it's the media or ignorant people trashing the area but, being African American, I am worried about that aspect. Maybe you could clear that up for me?

Old 12-08-2016, 04:08 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,095,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddestm0nkey View Post
I’m originally from Madison, WI. I got sick of the winters in the Midwest and decided to pack my car up and move. I took a month long trip, last year, along the East Coast to look at the job market and Real Estate. I visited Virginia Beach, Wilmington, Charleston (Folly Beach), Savannah (Tybee Island), and St Petersburg. I felt the most comfortable in St Pete, Florida. So I sold everything, packed my car up, and moved to St Pete. I’m now living in Clearwater, FL which is 15 or so minutes from St Pete.

I’m still feeling the area out. However, I would like some input on other areas I should consider nationwide. I’m in my early 30s and male. I love live music and a good nightlife but not drunk/puking college kids. Live music, a solid cocktail, and good conversation is ideal. A warmer climate is required vs Wisconsin (I know, not asking much). I’m not ok with the insane climate changes of the Midwest, Humid summers and deathly cold winters. Let’s even it out a little bit. I love being outdoors. Rather it be hiking in the mountains or walking the beach. I can’t really make my mind up to which is more amazing.

I’m currently single, so I would like a good social scene with friendly people. When I visited Charleston, the people were ungodly nice. They would strike up a conversation on the sidewalk like nothing. I liked that a lot. I decided on St Pete because it has a larger metropolitan area which means, more jobs. Who knows, maybe St. Pete is the place for me, but I would like more input. No stone unturned, ya know?

Again, I’m asking for input nationwide. I have always been attracted to big bodies of water but it’s not a requirement. Maine to California, let me hear it. But don't say Malibu, because I can't afford that noise!
I think Nashville would be a good choice. To the bolded, you will find a ton of drunk/puking college kids in Austin. Not sure why people are recommending it. A couple of downsides would be the colder weather in TN compared to TX, but other than that I think you'll enjoy the mountains in TN than the hills of TX.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I think Nashville would be a good choice. To the bolded, you will find a ton of drunk/puking college kids in Austin. Not sure why people are recommending it. A couple of downsides would be the colder weather in TN compared to TX, but other than that I think you'll enjoy the mountains in TN than the hills of TX.
Nashville is full of drunk, puking kids, too. I made the mistake of going downtown one night (we lived in nearby Clarksville) to the HRC, and there were drunk buttheads EVERYWHERE. What made it worse were they were pretend cowboys... hats, boots, buckles, you name it. I always say that besides Portland, Nashville might be the most overrated city out there.

And the hills of Austin are easier to access than the Smokies. And TX has areas like Big Bend which looks completely different than Austin (read: more topographical variety).

Old 12-08-2016, 07:03 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,095,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I always say that besides Portland, Nashville might be the most overrated city out there.
Sounds like another city I know

Old 12-08-2016, 08:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,951,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddestm0nkey View Post
I am very interested in...Thousand Oaks area. I will check out Ventura as well. Thank you
I have lived in Madison. Thousand Oaks is lovely, but it has nothing on your list except weather and hiking. Ventura has it all, and has a Madison-type-State-Street creatively called called "Main Street."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.