Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:24 AM

1,234 posts, read 942,032 times

Advertisements

Portland is also the west coast Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 PM

32 posts, read 35,662 times
I have to say I see many similarities in the Miami/LA comparison. There are obvious differences - especially since they are about 1,000 miles apart - but Miami is the miniature EC version of LA.

For the OC, I think a better comparison is Palm Beach county and not Orlando. Yeah, Orlando has Disneyworld and OC has Disneyland but there is more to this comparison than just a theme park.

San Francisco to NYC I don't really see at all. NYC is too large, too dominating to be compared to any city here in the USA. While I love San Francisco, we're just nowhere near that level. I think a better fit is Boston or Philadelphia though neither city has our beauty and weather and we don't have their history.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:39 AM

487 posts, read 245,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I've visited each of the cities mentioned and lived in LA before.

Honestly I have heard people compare LA to NYC. I know LA has tried to be on par with NYC with LA Live trying to mimic Times Square, but I still don't see it as the west coast NYC. I think that title still belongs to SF.

I feel LA if you cut out the San Fernando Valley is still more like Miami. A warmer, spread out and party culture city. Both have origins from Latin America. Miami having Cuban immigrant routes and LA once being a Spanish town.

I also feel that SF and NYC are older cities. SF dating to being a lively city during the gold rush era and NYC being one of the first estabilished cities in this nation.

Miami and LA, have been around, but didn't see their growth until around the WW2 era.

LA, though, is almost in it's own category because it's economy is larger and more diverse than Miami.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Orange County in CA and Orlando, FL seem to be both be fiscally conservative, but morally progressive. Anaheim-Santa Ana compared to Orlando are both sprawled out. Super sunny weather. Both have several amusement parks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thoughts?
I think so. Yes.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:31 AM

137 posts, read 50,037 times
Los Angeles should definitely have the skyline that Miami has instead.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:21 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I've visited each of the cities mentioned and lived in LA before.

Honestly I have heard people compare LA to NYC. I know LA has tried to be on par with NYC with LA Live trying to mimic Times Square, but I still don't see it as the west coast NYC. I think that title still belongs to SF.

I feel LA if you cut out the San Fernando Valley is still more like Miami. A warmer, spread out and party culture city. Both have origins from Latin America. Miami having Cuban immigrant routes and LA once being a Spanish town.

I also feel that SF and NYC are older cities. SF dating to being a lively city during the gold rush era and NYC being one of the first estabilished cities in this nation.

Miami and LA, have been around, but didn't see their growth until around the WW2 era.

LA, though, is almost in it's own category because it's economy is larger and more diverse than Miami.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Orange County in CA and Orlando, FL seem to be both be fiscally conservative, but morally progressive. Anaheim-Santa Ana compared to Orlando are both sprawled out. Super sunny weather. Both have several amusement parks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thoughts?
By those comparisons, yes. However beyond that they're two different worlds, especially in terms of economic demographics. The OC is almost exclusively upper middle class while the Orlando area overall is very clearly lower middle class.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:30 AM

946 posts, read 564,763 times
No. Just no.

LA reminds me of NYC if anything, because they are both so big and influential for the country. They are wielding the most industry by far.

SF is kind of its own thing.

OC is West Coast Orlando??? Huh?

Just because two cities share a Disney park does not mean they are comparable. I can't think of any other reason you would connect these places. The geography is not at all alike.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:52 AM

1,038 posts, read 565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The OC is almost exclusively upper middle class .
North O.C is fairly middle class and even working class. Even the Southern part of O.C have low(er) income pockets.

As for this thread that “L.A is West Coast Miami, O.C is West Coast Orlando, SF is the West Coast NYC” statement, disagree on many different levels.

On the surface the statement seems to make a lot of sense, but if you truly lived in a few of them (in my case: NYC and L.A-I lived more than half of my entire life in NYC and L.A. Family members live in SF/Bay area, and will be moving to Miami in months.) and noticed the day-to-day life and the local culture, the analogy/likeness stops.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:47 PM

487 posts, read 245,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
No. Just no.

LA reminds me of NYC if anything, because they are both so big and influential for the country. They are wielding the most industry by far.

SF is kind of its own thing.

OC is West Coast Orlando??? Huh?

Just because two cities share a Disney park does not mean they are comparable. I can't think of any other reason you would connect these places. The geography is not at all alike.
Sprawly, upscale, lots of family stuff to do, right down to Disney and Universal. Ok, Universal is technically in LA. But Knottsberry is in OC, Legoland and Sea World are a 1.5 hours drive away. So year, similar.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:07 PM

1,234 posts, read 942,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Though, ironically, Orlando is also in Orange County (FL of course)
Disney parks are in both Orange Counties, though Walt Disney World isn't in Orlando's city limits.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:41 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,213,322 times
SF is not in the ball park of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.