Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 08:57 PM

860 posts, read 697,317 times

Advertisements

I'd put different levels of "major"

New York and LA are a level of their own.

DC, Boston, SF, Seattle, Chicago and Dallas are on an "upper" level.

Denver, MSP, Phoenix, Tampa, and Baltimore are on a "middle" level.

Honolulu, New Orleans, Sacramento, Kansas City, and even Indianapolis are on a "lower" level.

Jacksonville and OKC are examples of ones that are not quite there (but could make it someday).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:26 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Major cities have international airports. Pre-COVID, there were 30 cities with nonstop flights to Heathrow and another few with Gatwick service. Other than California and Hawaii, if the city can't support London as a city pair, it's not a major city.
I would expect flights specifically to London would be a bit biased towards eastern cities, but airports with service to anywhere besides Canada isn't a bad metric. To my surprise at least (not a business traveler), even Denver has nonstop flights to London via 1 airline. Phoenix has 3.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:30 AM

458 posts, read 350,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I wouldn't consider San Bernadino or Riverside to be "suburbs" of LA, even if it is one contiguous urban area. They are cities with their own commuting patterns, which is why the Inland Empire is considered its own MSA.
I agree they are Satellites more than suburbs. I also understand that during the 80s/90s as Greater LA got more expensive they became the cheaper alternative for both residents and employers, which contributed to the growth and commuting patterns now. It was enough growth for the OMB to separate their counties from the parent metro. I will always argue that they are not the cores of a 4 million person MSA and it's misguided to discuss them as independent, let alone separate from LA.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I wouldn't consider San Bernadino or Riverside to be "suburbs" of LA, even if it is one contiguous urban area. They are cities with their own commuting patterns, which is why the Inland Empire is considered its own MSA.
Not really, the bulk of IE traffic goes to LA&Orange Counties during the day, then back at night. Just watch traffic flow on the 91, 60 and 10. And I work out here, there is literally no break in development between LA/OC and SBD/RIV. Without signs telling you, you wouldn't even know you crossed from Pomona into Chino or from Claremont to Montclair

Old 03-19-2021, 09:37 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
I agree they are Satellites more than suburbs. I also understand that during the 80s/90s as Greater LA got more expensive they became the cheaper alternative for both residents and employers, which contributed to the growth and commuting patterns now. It was enough growth for the OMB to separate their counties from the parent metro. I will always argue that they are not the cores of a 4 million person MSA and it's misguided to discuss them as independent, let alone separate from LA.
I'm actually surprised that they were made their own metro. The whole Southern California conglomeration reminds me of nothing so much as South Florida, a continuous urban strip from Miami to Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach that was merged together into a single metropolitan area, not long ago.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:41 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post

Honolulu, New Orleans, Sacramento, Kansas City, and even Indianapolis are on a "lower" level.

Jacksonville and OKC are examples of ones that are not quite there (but could make it someday).
No love for Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, and San Jose? These are all in the Top 10 most populous U.S. cities, with all of them having populations of over one million in the city proper.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:42 AM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post

I’d put Chicago up there with New York and LA, the size of its core is like the size of all those other cities combined. The economics, population and everything else also put it more on the level of a mega-city.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:48 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm actually surprised that they were made their own metro. The whole Southern California conglomeration reminds me of nothing so much as South Florida, a continuous urban strip from Miami to Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach that was merged together into a single metropolitan area, not long ago.
All of those warehouses and distribution centers they're building up in IE employ a ton of local residents.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:02 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
All of those warehouses and distribution centers they're building up in IE employ a ton of local residents.
It's one of the flaws of the OMB formulas that establish the criteria for MSAs. There should be exceptions for places like the IE that have had large commuting shifts but are still clearly part of the greater metro area.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:11 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I’d put Chicago up there with New York and LA, the size of its core is like the size of all those other cities combined. The economics, population and everything else also put it more on the level of a mega-city.

Agree. If there are any modifications on the top line, it would be that NYC should alone be raised. I agree though on bucketing NYC, LA and Chi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.