U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 AM

3,437 posts, read 1,617,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Biggest I don't consider major: San Bernardino/Riverside. This one is obvious.

Largest I consider major: Baltimore. I have a hard time classifying Portland, Orlando, San Antonio, etc, as "major cities".
I can agree on the inland empire, but I don't see how anyone doesn't see Portland OR and San Antonio as a tier below Baltimore. San Antoinio has historically been the largest city in TX until somewhat recently. It does have somewhat lower GDP, but is still a massive city. Portland, OR is one ranking below Baltimore on the GDP rankings. I think they all fall into the same catigory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 04:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 819,599 times
Every city with 100,000 or more residents.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:48 AM

14,189 posts, read 20,327,584 times
I'd consider pretty much any city over 1 million in MSA population to be a major city. Especially cities that were historically larger like New Orleans, Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, etc.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:58 PM

530 posts, read 474,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
1. No. I have no idea what the MSAs of those cities are.
2. Ok. But, I don't. It's really just semantics. I consider San Fransisco to be a "big city", and a really exceptional place, but I don't consider it to be a major American city.
I honestly don't know how on earth you wouldn't consider San Francisco to be a major American city.

By every criteria you can think of it is one of the premiere American cities. Hell when you look at the "global cities" metric the American cities that rank in the top 25 most important global cities are: New York, LA, Chicago, DC and San Francisco.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:35 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,155,170 times
The threshold increases as American metros get larger and larger. Right now, the new threshold for me personally is around 5 million people. But at the same time, I do think of Seattle as a major city. Seattle is in a wierd place where I think it heavily overperforms it's population numbers, but it's a smaller metro than many people might assume. It functions like a 5+ million metropolitan area, but it's barely 4 million or so? Like I think of Seattle as more of a major city than I do Detroit.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The threshold increases as American metros get larger and larger. Right now, the new threshold for me personally is around 5 million people. But at the same time, I do think of Seattle as a major city. Seattle is in a wierd place where I think it heavily overperforms it's population numbers, but it's a smaller metro than many people might assume. It functions like a 5+ million metropolitan area, but it's barely 4 million or so? Like I think of Seattle as more of a major city than I do Detroit.
Denver is the same, except smaller than Seattle.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 PM

7,992 posts, read 4,921,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Denver is the same, except smaller than Seattle.
I don't think Denver is on that level at all. Denver is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Seattle.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:47 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,770,803 times
Biggest is San Jose mss

It is clealy part of "the bay area"
Small ones i consider major cities is any metro over 2 mil that is not part of another metro.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don't think Denver is on that level at all. Denver is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Seattle.
Denver is in control of a larger region with no competition from other cities like Vancouver and Portland. I would imagine Seattle would be in the same league as Minneapolis and Denver. I wouldn't put it with Houston/Dallas/Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,770,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Denver is in control of a larger region with no competition from other cities like Vancouver and Portland. I would imagine Seattle would be in the same league as Minneapolis and Denver. I wouldn't put it with Houston/Dallas/Atlanta.
Seattle is with Portland, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Minneapolis metros. Just a bigger and better version, with a better economy/elite west coast location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or