Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 AM

430 posts, read 634,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Seattle is not the greatest for a single hetero male because there are so many engineers and software engineers that has caused an imbalance in the male/female ratio (a disturbance in the force). Don't get me wrong, I'm a resident and love the city I just don't think it would be my choice were I single.

Austin would probably be my pick, you have those college coeds, it's got good music scene, great job opportunities and melting molten rock summer causes short shorts and tank tops.

Charlotte is a nice city but it just doesn't do it for me.

Nashville I would seriously consider especially if you like country music, it's the home world you know. Otherwise, a pleasant city.
You know Austin has the same gender imbalance problem as Seattle right? "Coeds" aren't relevant to anything

Also, in the summer in Austin, women wear XXL Tyler's brand tshirts and baggy shorts. Very different from what I'm used to in Hawaii!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 PM

46 posts, read 52,672 times
Seattle would be a big change for you. It is getting extremely expensive to live here. What kind of job would you be looking for? The tech industry now dominates this town. People with typical middle class jobs like teachers or firefighters are getting priced out of the real estate market, but since you're youngish - you could probably find a group-living situation that would bring down rental costs (plus living in a group house is a great way to expand your social circle when you are new in town.- There IS truth to the Seattle Freeze reputation.)

"Exercise physiology" makes me think you might be interested in being a personal trainer. I know two personal trainers who have done well for themselves, but they both had to hustle really hard, and they had to work weekends, early mornings, and evenings for the first couple of years. Now they've built up their own clientele and are pretty set. There are hordes of young young tech geeks with tons of disposable income, who want to get in shape but aren't athletically inclined. There are also a lot of affluent baby boomers here, so once you're established you can get a lot of money per hour. Seattle is often ranked as the most physically fit city in the US. If you like to be physically active, this is a great place to live. The temperate climate is great for runners. People don't let the gray drizzle (10 months of the year) slow them down & in the winter a lot of people take advantage of the mountains close to us for skiing/snowboarding/snowshoeing.

There are a lot of military people living south of Seattle (Tacoma region) and further north (Everett.) These cities are much more affordable, but don't offer much of a night life. And they are pretty far from Seattle. Going into Seattle is doable once in awhile, but you'd probably get tired of doing it weekly. The burbs and satellite cities tend to get more conservative the further out you go (BIG exceptions are Olympia and Bellingham)

I personally prefer the neighborhood of Ballard's nightlife to downtown's. Capitol Hill and DT have the dance clubs. Ballard has more of the best live music venues. All three have lots of good restaurants & some excellent breweries. I do think night life has slowed down considerably since the early 90s when this was a grunge mecca - and that's despite the ever growing population. This is also a HUGE brewery town. Discussions about speciality beers often dominate social conversations at parties. I swear. People are more into specialized beer- the brewery scene-- than the music scene. Also, there is an increasing trend of shows starting earlier - like at 8:00. I think this is due to the fact that a lot of 40 & 50 somethings who came here in the 90s still want to hear live music but can't manage staying up late & they have some deep pockets that help struggling clubs stay alive. Artists are taking a huge hit financially - clubs/galleries/theaters struggle to keep up with their sky-rocketing rents. Seattlites are also crazy about movies. There are all types of film festivals and some well-supported indie film houses. Although movie theaters here keep closing, like they are across the US, Seattle probably has more per capita than most cities.

As for politics, yes, the city tends to go liberal on most issues but if you don't talk politics, people will leave you alone. And if anyone treats you rudely because of your more conservative views, then they are not worth befriending anyway.
Things to consider seriously about Seattle:
Could you put up with 10 months of mostly gray drizzly weather, and in the winter, very short daylight hours? (We do get a few days of sun during the those 10 months - enough to remind everyone why we live here because it's so dang beautiful.)
Could you manage the cost of living here?
Could you deal with the fact that most (or at least a LOT of) young guys here are somehow involved in the tech industry?
Are you good at building friendships - because it's very likely people won't go out of their way to welcome you. Of course you can find good people anywhere, but I do think it takes longer to build social circles here than other places. Introverts do fine here.
Are there jobs available in the field(s) you are interested in?

Also, if you really want to move here for the scenery and outdoor rec opportunities, then don't rule out neighboring but smaller cities/towns. More affordable suburbs: Renton, Kent, Lynnwood, Federal Way-- not the slickest of places but close enough to Seattle to take advantage of Seattle's night life. Work commutes though would be huge headache.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Good luck OP. The other cities are closer aligned to Knoxville, so I would go Seattle. Variety is the spice. Austin is great, but you're leaving one orange town for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.