Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

I live in a senior citizens complex. Yesterday we had a birthday luncheon after which there was Karaoke.

When "Hang on Sloopy" was played, everyone did the O-H-I-O hand cheer. It was hysterical seeing a bunch of old geezers including myself, doing the cheer.

Now that's pride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 01:52 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times
It's a shame that people call it the Rust Belt, giving it that negative connotation. I lived in Cleveland for three years and visited a few times prior to that as well. I moved back further south 14 years ago and continue to long to return there. Why did I leave? It was a time in my life when I was grieving the loss of both my parents, and I had moved to Cleveland from my native Florida at that time because of knowing a few people in Cleveland. The winter was very difficult for me at that time because the grayness contributed to my sadness. Now though, if I had an employment opportunity there, i'd return in a heartbeat. The Rust Belt is rich in culture. Cleveland, Chicago and other cities is so ethnically diverse. It offers such a variety of restaurants and foods available in the supermarkets for those of us with European roots. Additionally, just looking at University Circle alone, there are the museums, along with the many universities offering art, music, and drama, plus the beautiful park system. And of course the lakes, for both Cleveland AND Chicago. Walking along the lake during the seasons is a lovely experience too. Sure there are run down areas too, old building and factories, etc. but that is only a slice of the area. There's so much more to embrace there. Anyone from there should be proud of where they are from.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:46 PM

562 posts, read 988,589 times
No, I am not at all ashamed to be from the Great Lakes Region (a name with less negative connotations). I actually like living here and there are opportunities in IT that aren't terribly hard to get. The cost of living, general attitudes and low-density, open spaces are some of the things that make it attractive for me to remain in the region.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Proud here to be from the Canadian side of the Rust Belt! I love old industrial, blue collar cities much more than newer, more generic, white collar cities.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Ambivalent, but I sorta wish I were from somewhere with a stronger local identity, e.g. the South, New York, Portland.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Ambivalent, but I sorta wish I were from somewhere with a stronger local identity, e.g. the South, New York, Portland.
Chicago has a very strong local identity, IMHO. I'd be proud to be from there.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
The only other place I could live with a massive fresh water lake in my backyard is in Siberia so I am quite happy here in the Rust Belt.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

https://paintyourlandscape.com/categ...carousel-12831

:c rying::cry ing: I am so ashamed to be from such a region. Just look at it....look at it....who could be proud of this!

Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Chicago has a very strong local identity, IMHO. I'd be proud to be from there.
Clearly true ... and plenty to have Pride in. It doesn't need to be NYC as no city will be. But has its own identity, things it is known for from the Blues, Cubbies, pizza to the skyscraper.

It clearly is the heart of the Midwest and roots as a Rust-Belt city and its share of issues. But clearly takes on being as a Coastal city in summers with Lake Michigan a great asset..... despite being 1000-miles from the ocean.
Clearly reason to have Pride.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-10-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 05:21 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I've always been proud of the area that I am from ::

What is there to be ashamed of? The character & grittiness of my Rustbelt cities vs. the generic look of some other regions?

Nothing to be ashamed of at all IMO. Nobody picks where they are from; we can only change that when we are older and can move out on our own.

I've lived in other regions and definitely prefer living here. Fewer pretensions, a nice home for a reasonable price is possible, and an agreeable climate with 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.