Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

It looks an area with a balance of growth, with less of the rat race mentality and may fit the "less religious" aspect is the Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY area according to a couple of the lists posted in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What would be an ideal location for someone who wants to avoid religion AND the rat race?

In other words, where should I live if I don't want to be judged for my lack of religion and lack of wealth/status?

Rural areas are less obsessed about wealth and status compared to cities and suburbs, but rural areas in the U.S. tend to be very religious. Are there any rural areas with relatively secular populations? Or any secular cities which are less focused on wealth and status?
Sounds to me like you're already living there or are close to it.

So, how would you describe where you're living?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Rural New England and the Pacific Northwest is where you should be looking.
The Pacific Northwest is a very expensive place to live. Not the best choice for anyone who prefers not to work a well paid job.

In the light green areas on that map, maybe Montana or Nevada would work for the OP. Neither are considered to be the Pacific Northwest. Nevada is warmer and has a low tax structure.

Colorado, also not in the Pacific Northwest, is a very expensive place to live.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:05 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The Pacific Northwest is a very expensive place to live. Not the best choice for anyone who prefers not to work a well paid job.

In the light green areas on that map, maybe Montana or Nevada would work for the OP. Neither are considered to be the Pacific Northwest. Nevada is warmer and has a low tax structure.

The rural PNW is expensive? Places like Davenport, WA and Falls City, OR don't look expensive to me.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In the Northeast (NY+New England) much of the observant religious crowd that does exist are Jewish and Catholic and don't tend to extend their pious personas in the public sphere. Actually same goes for the protestants up there who are more likely to be C&E mainstream types. In fact the protestants in the Northeast tend to be even more low-key than the Catholics.

Either way, no one up there is actively prostlytizing or organizing prayer circles at work. For what little active religion there is, there is so much diversity in religion that no one wants to step on toes or be singled out.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sounds to me like you're already living there or are close to it.

So, how would you describe where you're living?
I'm definitely out of the rat race here, which I like. However it is fairly rural and there is still some religious zealotry. Ithaca isn't too far away, which is about as secular and "hippie" as one can get. I'm not sure I'd fit in with the stereotypical "far left" culture, though.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:25 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The Pacific Northwest is definitely secular, but it's the epitome of the rat race: the high tech gold rush mentality and extremely high cost of living.

East of the Cascades is part of Jesusland, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
People everywhere all have different beliefs and world views, most will learn to mingle with those with different beliefs than them and not take things too seriously, those who can't handle it will usually just stay under the radar and not really talk to anyone.

I don't think this is really a necessary reason to make a big move.

What exactly is so horrible about where you live?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:54 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm definitely out of the rat race here, which I like. However it is fairly rural and there is still some religious zealotry. Ithaca isn't too far away, which is about as secular and "hippie" as one can get. I'm not sure I'd fit in with the stereotypical "far left" culture, though.
If you're upstate, Freak, why not Vermont? Non-religious and rural, too. Right next door to you.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:03 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
I don't understand the no religion thing. I live in the heart of bible country. Many roads you can't go a mile without seeing at least 1 church and many across the street from one another.

Real simply, IF the topic comes up (rarely ever) and you think it matters, just claim to be religious or say you havn't found a church you like yet. The issue is really moot. In todays world not everyone goes to church. On the other hand, maybe try immersing yourself in a little culture/diversity and attend a friend's church or see what it's all about. Who knows where it might lead. Church is a good way to network. People recognize you from church and they will think more highly or you or more willing to help you in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.